AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Well, I'm also going off what Lasseter said at Cannes about it having a "unique tone unlike any other animated film". Plus the teaser went with a romantic, bombastic score rather than some pop or indie rock song. I also can't imagine they would seek out Mychael Danna to score a film if it were going to be primarily a comedy.

Edited by tribefan695

The teaser is what 45 seconds long? It has no dialogue. It has a visual gag. Bit too early to be saying what the film is going to be like.

Does it need the dialogue to have an impression at first and what the film is going to be.. i don't think so! This tease is enough to ignite the thought what the film is going to be & it is enough for now. 

Heck, sometimes all you need is a single image to get an idea about whether a film will be more dramatic or comedic. The teaser poster certainly doesn't evoke humor, but rather curiosity and perhaps sentimentality.

Edited by tribefan695

I'm not saying posters and shots can't tell you anything. I'm asking you how you can watch that tiny clip that features a joke and not much else, and conclude that it's very dramatic.

Heck, sometimes all you need is a single image to get an idea about whether a film will be more dramatic or comedic. The teaser poster certainly doesn't evoke humor, but rather curiosity and perhaps sentimentality.

Exactly..... I wish i had one more like to like this post! Haha, quota finished

I'm not saying posters and shots can't tell you anything. I'm asking you how you can watch that tiny clip that features a joke and not much else, and conclude that it's very dramatic.

I'm not saying it's going to be devoid of humor, but that one joke (and I have my doubts it's intended as one) is a lot more subtle than what you'd expect from most Pixar films. 

The How to Train Your Dragon movies are the best comparison I can think of. There's humor, but it still takes itself seriously and doesn't let it overwhelm the story.

Edited by tribefan695

It was a joke. Editing of music in scene, when asteroids miss the Earth shows that it was an intended joke. How many times did we see that juxtaposition? Something dramatic is happening, sparks, flames, dramatic music, and then cut to another angle, without music and bombastic sound effects, showing that just 'phew, it wasn't dramatic at all'. Rather standard visuall joke I would say.

• Like 4

You mean where the asteroid misses? Or all of the trailer? I thought they like completely overhauled the story or something.

Yeah, that whole thing. The entire first half of the trailer with the asteroid was shown at the 2013 D23 convention, and that was back when the film was originally set a bit further into the future where the dinosaurs became civilized farmers with structures and irrigation systems, and that's when they come upon the first human. (who was still the same boy present in the story) Bob Peterson was hinting that this was going be a "funny and heartfelt film" back then... and since he's been removed and replaced with Sohn "funny" seemed to have moved out. But since the very basic idea is still the same, I guess there is no point in dramatically re-altering that bit. It's not like Inside Out with its Looney Tunes-esque squash-and-stretch characters... just a simple gag. How they put it in the context of the finished film is something we'll see about in November. 

I have a feeling that the direction this movie is going in is the exact opposite of Brave: taking a silly movie and reworking it to be more epic and grand. Until we see a full trailer that actually involves dialogue from the characters, we really can't make any judgements. I want to hope that this is more like Finding Nemo, which was able to balance a level of grandeur while still remaining humorous and likable. I can't imagine that this is going to be super-serious NOLAN-ESQUE "no fun allowed" shit... if you really think you're going to get that out of an animated Pixar family film then you kind of need to get your head checked. It's all about equally balancing tone. Like you mentioned, HTTYD is an excellent example.

Edited by goldenstate5

Yeah its like the time someone was complaining how bad kids films were now and then said "I loved films like Little Vampire and Cats and Dogs" I was going "You lost me there bud"

Man, Little Vampire and Cats & Dogs were da shit when I was young, watched them a hundred times