AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

On 11/30/2015, 7:39:59, treeroy said:

Oh my god. GOOD DINOSAUR is so damn fucking wonderful. I'm so glad kids films like this exist. It's astonishingly well made, I guess that's to be expected when these guys have been doing this for over two decades, but god it's remarkable just how talented the folks at Pixar really are. Obviously it is a much simpler film than Inside Out, but it's possibly Pixar's best told story.

Alone in the cinema, I flooded all the empty chairs with my tears. I just sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. It was such a joyous and moving experience, shame it is a financial failure (and we all thought Pixar could do no wrong at the box office)

Wow, I'm actually surprised you loved this movie that much. You struck me as someone who would've fallen more to the Gopher side.

Was going to see this in 3D tonight but last-minute obligations mean I'll have wait till Friday. I have conflicting feelings on this tanking because on one hand of course I'm not happy it won't be making its money back but on the other hand it sort of lends credence to my "cult movie" narrative. Anyone who doesn't eventually appreciate the movie's innovative production design and its bold weird streaks at least is just plain wrong.

These are the kind of risks I appreciate Pixar for. They're finally experiencing the negative side of the word but I don't think they're any less of a studio after seeing this film, and hopefully they don't take its box office performance too much to heart and continue to push boundaries in the future the way they did with this movie. Fortunately their orgasmic visuals at least should meet a much bigger audience with their next film.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Turns out I am actually able to see it. Theater's empty here too.

It's like some ironic joke. I'm probably going to enjoy this movie a lot more personally because no one else is.

Sorry, tribefan. When the Shay turns out being on the "winning" side of the majority, I actually get sad. And now you've made me even sadder. I always like to be alone and outnumbered, fighting the lost cause. I am prepared for this, trained my whole life in solitude and hardship. You (and most people) are probably not. But don't get sad. (Just pretend you're a Shay, for once. ;))

• Like 1

I might have missed it, but what moments did you think were bold and weird? (I'm not calling you out, I'm just curious)

Well, the drug trip scene for starters. And there was something about the image of the pterodactyl fins peeking out of the clouds that struck me as particularly bizarre. And the whole hyperrealistic art design in general was also pretty ambitious.

I will say I enjoyed this a lot more on a conventional Pixar level on a second viewing. I think I was so distracted by the mind blowing visuals the first time that I wasn't completely paying attention to the story beats and it came off as perhaps more stripped down and downbeat than it really was.

Of course, "conventional Pixar" is really awesome. I got a lot more emotional and invested in Arlo and Spot this time around, and the movie really does have a terrific atmosphere and incredible score, and it's a fucking crime that none of those aspects are going to get the attention they deserve.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Man, this will lose a lot of money, like a lot a lot.

Unless it makes more than +500m OS, then it will lose just a relatively small sum of money.

It opened to like $29M in 92 markets which is pretty much the whole world. It's not making 150M OS let alone 500M.

5 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Wow, I'm actually surprised you loved this movie that much. You struck me as someone who would've fallen more to the Gopher side.

Was going to see this in 3D tonight but last-minute obligations mean I'll have wait till Friday. I have conflicting feelings on this tanking because on one hand of course I'm not happy it won't be making its money back but on the other hand it sort of lends credence to my "cult movie" narrative. Anyone who doesn't eventually appreciate the movie's innovative production design and its bold weird streaks at least is just plain wrong.

These are the kind of risks I appreciate Pixar for. They're finally experiencing the negative side of the word but I don't think they're any less of a studio after seeing this film, and hopefully they don't take its box office performance too much to heart and continue to push boundaries in the future the way they did with this movie. Fortunately their orgasmic visuals at least should meet a much bigger audience with their next film.

Tbh I wouldn't call it bold. Having oddball anthropomorphic animals in family films is nothing new. I don't consider the movie risky or even particularly innovative. Toy Story, Inside Out, particularly WALLE and even Cars are more "boundary-pushing" in my opinion.

I just think it is a really masterfully told story, using visual and aural cues to trigger the emotional attachment you've developed to the characters and their situations. The strong child acting, the way it uses different textures and settings to push the story along, and even just the quality of the animation and score... it all culminates to a simple but beautifully made film.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, the drug trip scene for starters. And there was something about the image of the pterodactyl fins peeking out of the clouds that struck me as particularly bizarre. And the whole hyperrealistic art design in general was also pretty ambitious.

I will say I enjoyed this a lot more on a conventional Pixar level on a second viewing. I think I was so distracted by the mind blowing visuals the first time that I wasn't completely paying attention to the story beats and it came off as perhaps more stripped down and downbeat than it really was.

Of course, "conventional Pixar" is really awesome. I got a lot more emotional and invested in Arlo and Spot this time around, and the movie really does have a terrific atmosphere and incredible score, and it's a fucking crime that none of those aspects are going to get the attention they deserve.

Doesn't DUMBO have a trippy scene?

And the upside-down JAWS/shark scene was neat (in fact, I rather enjoyed the whole evangelical religious pterodactyl thing as a whole) but again not anything new.

Well, it was enough to publicly upset parents, which is good in my book. But I don't want to get into an argument over what constitutes boldness. Don't think it necessarily has to involve the script, though.

I think this is going to be one of "those" movies for me that I feel a personal need to defend from any negative associations. It's like Wall E for me but without the backup. I rank it 4/5 ish on my Pixar list

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Well, it was enough to publicly upset parents, which is good in my book.

I don't want to get into an argument over what constitutes boldness, but I don't think it necessarily has to involve the script.

I think this is going to be one of "those" movies for me that I feel a personal need to defend from any negative associations. It's like Wall E for me but without the backup. It's 4/5ish in my Pixar ranking

I'm glad that it caused a reaction among kids and parents, but it's only doing the same as movies like THE LION KING or BAMBI, having genuinely scary or upsetting scenes. "Kids" films should absolutely be tackling difficult subject matter like death and separation; this isn't new, I just think some parents have become a little too accustomed to innocent (for better or worse) films like FROZEN or MINIONS.

And yeah, this is top 5 Pixar (though I'm not a huge fan of much of Pixar's work)

30 minutes ago, Treelo the Good Treenosaur said:

Yep, if you thought the domestic numbers were an underperformance, the overseas numbers are an outright bomb.

If you are correct this will easily do the Pixar film ever has worldwide. Did really not know it that poorly. 

Although Inside Out won the animated year, The Good Dinosaur would have grossed:

-Less than half of Illumination's Minions.

-Less than Dreamworks' Home.

-Less than Sony's Hotel Transylvania 2.

-Less than Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants 2.

It may even lose to Blue Sky's Peanuts. 

Nobody cared. Not even Pixar. Now obviously you could point to the final product, but then why even release it, if they were going to dump it to middling reception?

Awful decision making all around. Highly embarrassing fiasco of a release. 

A product that makes little money is still better than one that sits on the shelf.

I don't know why it seems Disney lost confidence in this near the finish or why everyone is rejecting it from the outset, but I'm willing to just take a film I love away from it if I have to.

The hype was just never there for TGD, and there was nothing for those crazy fans online or tumblr crowd to latch onto. I'm surprised Disney didn't try to copy Tangled's misleading marketing more. Not enough humor in the trailers.

Disney and Pixar will certainly be talking about this to each other for years.

In the end, "All the parents and kids are waiting for Star Wars" might be the best explanation.

Yeah, Star Wars may have entered into it too. The franchise is already a merchandising bonanza so I guess Disney felt it was more frugal to put more promotion into that and let Good Dino slide than try to give equal footing to both movies. Plus Pixar will have their own behemoth next year and probably the two years after as well