AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

On Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:25:38, moviesRus said:

This is puzzling cause even middling and outright bad kids movies make decent money when the competition is low, which it is right now for family fare. Hotel Transylvania 2 even managed to do better.

I think the lackluster marketing was a factor. It needed great WOM to overcome that,and it did not get it. The overall reaction was "Meh". Not terrible, but not that good either.OK,but nothing to write home about.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I think the lackluster marketing was a factor. It needed great WOM to overcome that,and it did not get it. The overall reaction was "Meh". Not terrible, but not that good either.OK,but nothing to write home about.

Yes, I have been saying exactly the same thing for 5 months. The MEH Dinosaur. No hate - it just turned out I was right this time.

15 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't have much respect for either contingent, but at least it's better marketing material than "#1 family movie" and it'll give Pete Sohn's resume a boost

...uh making the only financial failure from a studio that had a prior 20-year-long success track record is probably not going to do wonders to your career...

Rob Marshall made Nine and got punished with two big budget Disney movies.

Not that I think Nine is some underappreciated classic but award recognition can definitely soften the blow of a flop. It was probably going to be a while before Sohn directed another film anyway and this indicates that at least someone with clout likes him.

I imagine he'll be going back to merely animating/voice acting at Pixar for the immediate future, but I think he could still get a co directing gig and eventually do an original idea if he's successful

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Not that I think Nine is some underappreciated classic but award recognition can definitely soften the blow of a flop. It was probably going to be a while before Sohn directed another film anyway and this indicates that at least someone with clout likes him.

I imagine he'll be going back to merely animating/voice acting at Pixar for the immediate future, but I think he could still get a co directing gig and eventually do an original idea if he's successful

Nine was by TWC and not Disney but every director has a flop once in a while and if the studio thinks a film maker has potential, they'll use them again. 

I remember when Thunderbirds bombed, Working Title who has a deal with Universal basically lost the right to make movies without interference and every project from then on had to looked at and approved by Universal before it got greenlight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Rob Marshall made a film that won a Best Picture Oscar and was a gigantic hit. Pretty sure that entitles him to a flop or two. Peter Sohn, a first-time feature director, is now the definite scapegoat for Pixar's first-ever movie where they cost their parent company some real dough.

Lasseter won't fire the dude, but I'd be shocked if Sohn ever fully directs a feature-film again. Stanton and Bird are lucky to be the directors of Pixar's two biggest hits, both of which are getting sequels. They were outside their apparent comfort zone (I wouldn't fully blame marketing on either movie), and now they seek to rectify it by doing something that makes oodles of money and frees them to pursue their passions. Is it unfair? Yeah, probably. But that's Hollywood.

• Like 1

If you want a more Disney centric example, Don Hall worked on the dump job that was Winnie the Pooh but then was almost immediately given the Big Hero 6 green light, arguably an even bigger risk on paper. His co director's previous film wasn't exactly a big hit either

Sohn's the youngest current Pixar director and is still a major asset to them outside of that. Seems to me there'd be plenty of opportunity for him to "redeem" himself. Maybe they put him in a sort of Dan Scanlon role and have him do a franchise sequel.

It just seems way too premature to assume his filmmaking career is over because of one movie that didn't make a profit, especially since it does have its defenders outside of yours truly

The situation with Winnie the Pooh was different. It wasn't a dump job by any means (and it has a 90% RT to prove it). Someone thought it would greatly thrive as counterprogramming to DH2... and was proven wrong. That and it was the last breath for a major Western studio produced hand drawn film.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Regardless of the reasons for Winnie the Pooh flopping it ostensibly should've put Don Hall in the same director's jail you all think Sohn will be in. This movie may be disappointing critics by Pixar standards but there are still a lot of people who truly liked it. His visual style surely has a lot of potential.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The situation with Winnie the Pooh was different. It wasn't a dump job by any means (and it has a 90% RT to prove it). Someone thought it would greatly thrive as counterprogramming to DH2... and was proven wrong. That and it was the last breath for a major Western studio produced hand drawn film.

Smaller budget, too. The project was also one of Lasseter's pet projects, so I know Johnny probably fell on the sword there too.

This is all on Sohn now... he should jump ship to another studio but I'm sure he'll be fine. Maybe he's just not meant to direct films?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Pooh had already been out in most of Europe since April and apparently had next to no promotion over there. Disney knew it was going to do better on home video so they didn't put much effort in the theatrical release.

Edited by cookie

The point remains that they gave him a much bigger budget for a lesser known source material for his next film (and Chris Williams' Bolt wasn't really a big hit either). Doing a flop for your first movie isn't necessarily a career-killer, and the whole Pixar braintrust takes responsibility for this as well; for putting faith in Sohn to finish it out and produce a successful movie (and from my perspective it's perfectly understandable that they were satisfied with the product they saw).

Edited by tribefan695

Back when I was expecting Peanuts to tank, it was for the same reasons as Winnie the Pooh. Most of that purely innocent and whimsical kind of stuff just doesn't fly with today's kids sadly. I guess Peanuts has managed to remain relevant for longer despite being cut from the same cloth as Pooh, but I definitely don't think anyone can be blamed for Winnie the Pooh's failure. They made the best Pooh movie they possibly could have and the audiences simply weren't having it. Nothing would've changed its fate besides a complete revamp of what Pooh is, and that could've come with its own set of problems and backlash.

As for TGD, I really do believe it just got caught in a bad release spot between all the animated hits from June through October this year and SW sucking up all the attention the last few months. If it's not because of that, then it's because of the whole "kids don't want cute dinosaurs" thing. Maybe a combo of the two.