AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Using box office grosses to back up his assertions isn't helping his case. Everyone bemoaning this news doesn't care about that.

• Like 1

Using box office grosses to back up his assertions isn't helping his case. Everyone bemoaning this news doesn't care about that.

Yes, but the general public (the majority of the people who are going to see this movie) aren't going to care about any director change. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Yes, but the general public (the majority of the people who are going to see this movie) aren't going to care about any director change. 

The general belief is that the movie can only be released to the public in a worse state than it would've been under Peterson's watch. I think it's more the legacy Chapman and Peterson had that caused the uproar when they were booted from their projects than some belief that Pixar should stick with their directors no matter what. Somehow I doubt that if Dan Scanlon were for some reason removed from MU it would've been as big of a story.

Imagine if the DGA clause didn't exist and say, Guillermo del Toro was replaced on Pacific Rim while he was still filming. I think the vitriol towards Warner would've been pretty similar even though it doesn't exactly have the same kind of record that Pixar has. On the flip side, Mark Dindal and Alessandro Carloni aren't exactly household names, so no one really complained when Me and My Shadow was put on hold. But if Chris Sanders or Dean DeBlois were replaced on the Croods or Dragon, I'm sure there would've been some gnashing teeth on the interwebs.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

The general belief is that the movie can only be released to the public in a worse state than it would've been under Peterson's watch. I think it's more the legacy Chapman and Peterson had that caused the uproar when they were booted from their projects than some belief that Pixar should stick with their directors no matter what. Somehow I doubt that if Dan Scanlon were for some reason removed from MU it would've been as big of a story.

Imagine if the DGA clause didn't exist and say, Guillermo del Toro was replaced on Pacific Rim while he was still filming. I think the vitriol towards Warner would've been pretty similar even though it doesn't exactly have the same kind of record that Pixar has. On the flip side, Mark Dindal and Alessandro Carloni aren't exactly household names, so no one really complained when Me and My Shadow was put on hold. But if Chris Sanders or Dean DeBlois were replaced on the Croods or Dragon, I'm sure there would've been some gnashing teeth on the interwebs.

Brave managed to make over 200 million domestically, even with a director change.

I don’t think the General Public cares about it that much, but I can understand why someone would be upset about a director change.

Brave managed to make over 200 million domestically, even with a director change. I don’t think the General Public cares about it that much, but I can understand why someone would be upset about a director change.

Reason why we care? Cause were worried they're taking something unique and original and tryingot make it more commercial (sorry Pixar brain trust)...Reason why GA will care? Yeah, their response will be...I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reason why we care? Cause were worried they're taking something unique and original and tryingot make it more commercial (sorry Pixar brain trust)...Reason why GA will care? Yeah, their response will be...I have no idea what you're talking about.

You got the idea down. 

• Like 1

We don't know. Seems the obvious choice is Pete Sohn since he's the co-director and everyone else is busy with their own projects right now but there's been no official announcement yet.

Well, according to the site that broke the Peterson news, it's between Sohn and Mark Andrews. I'd probably prefer the former, but actually want the latter, since if the film sucks, then it won't be a newbie's fault.