Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

3 hours ago, The GOAT said:

MI3 is the worst one in the series. 
Make it more like the first one an actual psycho drama spy thriller

the more i think about it, DR PT1 is the worst, is there even a heist scene , MI3 has great parts, DR does not have any memorable scenes besides the train scene which has too much cgi for my taste

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the more i think about it, DR PT1 is the worst, is there even a heist scene , MI3 has great parts, DR does not have any memorable scenes besides the train scene which has too much cgi for my taste

The airport scene is my favourite part of the movie. MI3 has no memorable set pieces (but it has qualities in other places). 

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I couldn't even finish 3. Movie had the color grading of a bootleg BayFormers movie. Completely checked out when Keri Russell gave me derp face and died. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

DR looks like shot on iphone on some scenes, MI3 is way better

Nah have to disagree MI3 suffers too much from Abrams trying to manufacture action and tension through quick cuts and quick close ups with a frentic style. Dead Reckoning Part One goes for some wild shots but rarely at the expense of knowing what the action is. I do prefer the look of Fallout and to some extent Rogue Nation but I kinda like McQ shot the action with no coverage.

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Nah have to disagree MI3 suffers too much from Abrams trying to manufacture action and tension through quick cuts and quick close ups with a frentic style. Dead Reckoning Part One goes for some wild shots but rarely at the expense of knowing what the action is. I do prefer the look of Fallout and to some extent Rogue Nation but I kinda like McQ shot the action with no coverage.

i disagree, JJ wanted the film to look like Enemy of the State editing wise, do you think he succeeded?

I know this sounds ridiculous now but all of this would look extra funny when DR2 makes franchise highs.

A lot of factors hamstrung the movie:

1. Terrible date

2. Part One

3. No PLFs after 1 week

4. Weird stop start marketing and no talk shows

5. Not very rewatchable and a lot of action scenes looking similar to Fast X and Indy5 and too much exposition

I definitely think Part 2 has the opportunity to rectify all of these

Edited by Algebra

On Reddit especially you have people now coming in for the pile on thanks to the flop saying “actually Dead Reckoning is flopping because it isn’t good and the Mission Impossible series is overrated”. Ugh. Hopefully Part 2 can do better so the general view of the series can end on a positive note 

• Like 2

I think MI7 lost a bit of goodwill with some fans after the way it treated a certain major character. Personally, I decided to skip the film in theatres as soon as I learned about that plot point, and will skip MI8 too unless they somehow reverse what happened.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

On Reddit especially you have people now coming in for the pile on thanks to the flop saying “actually Dead Reckoning is flopping because it isn’t good and the Mission Impossible series is overrated”. Ugh. Hopefully Part 2 can do better so the general view of the series can end on a positive note 

Always the case was so predictable to see them jump on the Barbie bandwagon as soon as it was obvious the BO was going up. Same thing with Elemental was so funny seeing people suddenly change their tune about the quality of the film when it showed the legs it did.

The armchair quarterbacking on this is has become exhausting. It's 95% release date it could have overcome all the other stuff. If it had come out last summer say the 22-24 of July it would have had clear sailing and had typical Mission legs. That's assuming Maverick came say in 2021 instead. Of course if Covid had never happened that would have come out at the end of june 2020 and Mission would have come out in July 2021. It's all what if's at this point. Hell maybe people are tired of this franchise and Maggie will get her wish and this will force TC to make more dramatic stuff again. 

In the UK (similar taste market) it is tracking ahead of FALLOUT, where there aren't that many IMAX screens and don't have to deal with SoF. WoM here is best in the franchise. It is idiotic to suggest getting rid of the guy who brought franchise best numbers and followed it up with 96% RT, A cinemascore and 8.0 IMDB rating. You won't get much better than that. DR2 will be fine. 

Edited by The Dark Alfred

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

In the UK (similar taste market) it is tracking ahead of FALLOUT, where there aren't that many IMAX screens and don't have to deal with SoF. WoM here is best in the franchise. It is idiotic to suggest getting rid of the guy who brought franchise best numbers and followed it up with 96% RT, A cinemascore and 8.0 IMDB rating. You won't get much better than that. DR2 will be fine. 

Some people on r/Boxoffice were even saying that Paramount will likely remove Cruise from the franchise and that’s when I knew I had enough Reddit for the day

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yeah the Mcqaurrie hate is just WTF. Where is that coming from? 

8 minutes ago, Algebra said:

They got the exposition out of the way and set it up beautifully for Part 2 to blow everyone’s socks off. And with multiple extended IMAX sequences, its ex-China B.O should definitely top Fallout’s ex-China…

I've been meaning to ask this: DR Part 2 is confirmed to have sequences SHOT FOR IMAX? That was genuinely my biggest letdown in DR Part 1 lol

Edited by Dragoncaine