PatrickvD

The Pixar Club

I love Pixar, but I'm sick of their spiel.

It was great before they decided to make Cars 2, now it's just the same old recycled story that has been proven to be bullshit.

Don't tell me that's what you do and have Cars 2 come out. Fuck off Catmull and start making real movies again.

But nah, announced Cars 3 haven't they? They started drinking their own Kool-Aid.

The problem is that Cars 2 represented, and continues to represent, everything people like us DIDN'T want from Pixar. A sequel to a film which was not particularly critically liked, but which sold tons of merchandise (so a sequel that was made just for the money), which had a weak story and which centered around the most hated character from the original. Many people would have rather they made a noble original failure like newt.Cars 2 really poisoned the Pixar well for a lot of people. There was never really complaints about story interference before then (except maybe what Lasseter did to American Dog, but that wasn't actually Pixar). But the general attitude among some cinephiles and animation geeks seems to be "Pixar has become the worst things about Disney, they're too commercial, they're too safe, they interfere with directors' visions, they make too many sequels, they only care about money, they should be acting on principle and making more risky original projects even if they don't have as much revenue potential." They want the Pixar that we see in all those DVD extras from the 00s, the Pixar where creativity reigned supreme, and their financial success always seemed rightfully earned because their films were so good. The Pixar, and the John Lasseer, that was essentially a childhood hero to many millennial geeks.And there also seems to be sort of an underlying attitude among the people who grew up with Pixar, the aforementioned millennial geeks, that Pixar should grow up with them. The original Cars was met with scorn from the first teaser, because people expected that now that Pixar had matured with The Incredibles, they should keep maturing, keep pushing the envelope, keep moving forward. To these people, Cars looked like a step BACKWARDS. So a Cars 2 would be even more insulting from this mindset - "Pixar has betrayed its mission statement for easy money, and they've betrayed US too." In short, feelings of betrayal and anger at their childhood heroes, their artistic idols, selling out.I honestly wonder, if Cars 2 had never happened, would people have reacted less harshly to Brenda Chapman's removal from Brave, or the stuff with The Good Dinosaur, or even the cancellation of newt?

Edited by TServo2049

The problem is that Cars 2 represented, and continues to represent, everything people like us DIDN'T want from Pixar. A sequel to a film which was not particularly critically liked, but which sold tons of merchandise (so a sequel that was made just for the money), which had a weak story and which centered around the most hated character from the original. Many people would have rather they made a noble original failure like newt.Cars 2 really poisoned the Pixar well for a lot of people. There was never really complaints about story interference before then (except maybe what Lasseter did to American Dog, but that wasn't actually Pixar). But the general attitude among some cinephiles and animation geeks seems to be "Pixar has become the worst things about Disney, they're too commercial, they're too safe, they interfere with directors' visions, they make too many sequels, they only care about money, they should be acting on principle and making more risky original projects even if they don't have as much revenue potential." They want the Pixar that we see in all those DVD extras from the 00s, the Pixar where creativity reigned supreme, and their financial success always seemed rightfully earned because their films were so good. The Pixar, and the John Lasseer, that was essentially a childhood hero to many millennial geeks.And there also seems to be sort of an underlying attitude among the people who grew up with Pixar, the aforementioned millennial geeks, that Pixar should grow up with them. The original Cars was met with scorn from the first teaser, because people expected that now that Pixar had matured with The Incredibles, they should keep maturing, keep pushing the envelope, keep moving forward. To these people, Cars looked like a step BACKWARDS. So a Cars 2 would be even more insulting from this mindset - "Pixar has betrayed its mission statement for easy money, and they've betrayed US too." In short, feelings of betrayal and anger at their childhood heroes, their artistic idols, selling out.I honestly wonder, if Cars 2 had never happened, would people have reacted less harshly to Brenda Chapman's removal from Brave, or the stuff with The Good Dinosaur, or even the cancellation of newt?

Well, I agree with some of your post, but it's unrealistic to expect Pixar to continuously mature towards PG-13 and R rated features. Like it or not, family audiences drive the box office for animated films so PG is the sweet spot that this particular format enjoys. If you're spending $200 million+ on an animated film, a PG-13 or R would be a death blow financially. 

• Like 1

That post wasn't my actual opinion on Pixar. My true opinion of them is not anywhere near as negative as that. I'm optimistic about Pixar, they've had some stumbles but I don't feel they've really, truly sold out or lost their soul like some seem to.That was just my attempt to summarize the negativity I've seen towards Pixar since Cars 2, and ponder how much of it is a direct consequence OF Cars 2. I just ignored Cars 2 when it came out, and continue to ignore it. I don't believe it was Pixar's shark-jump moment, but a lot of people seem to treat it as such, and approach everything Pixar-related that came after it as somehow tainted.And no, I do not in any way believe Pixar should move toward PG-13 or R, that's ridiculous. I don't think anybody really wants that. But I remember that some people were a little frustrated when The Incredibles was followed by Cars. They loved how Incredibles took risks and explored mature themes and such, and they seemed to want EVERY Pixar movie to build on that from then on. The initial complaints from these people about Cars 1 were that it was too safe, too juvenile, too conventional.Those complaints stopped when Ratatouille came out, but after Cars 2, I know I've heard some lament that Pixar isn't as mature and sophisticated as they were up to 2010? I feel like Cars 2 somehow dragged down Internet opinion of Brave and Monsters University...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Why do Pixar films have such big budgets? Pixar movies have the most amazing visuals among animated films. Is that one reason?

I think that is the main reason why. 

It is why they look so much better than nearly every other animated film.

• Like 2