Eric Quinn

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

14 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

In India  we measure openings in morning in term of % and on that basis the day one estimates are in around 11-12 AM IST. I am trying to do the same here.

E.g. CM had 50-55% opening in India, with full day capacity of around ₹26cr. From that considering how films like it perform throughout the day, I estimated ₹15.5-16cr opening day during the first show itself. Actual day one was ₹15.56cr.

You once stated 18+, actuals came 13/15.5 depending whether that 18 was net or gross.

41 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Not important imo. It was a Superhero movie that ultimately focused on one lead - the titular character. And BP's cameos in Civil War were more meant to tease the character to the viewers, his proper introduction was certainly his own solo movie.

Otherwise Captain Marvel too shoudnt be counted as a solo SH, which doesnt make sense.

In my POV BP is the only MCU movie that didn't focus to the same amount on one character as all the others. I mean he is for a time even 'dead'.

His complete screentime in the MCU is just something over 61 min = in all 3 movies he is in (yeah, I know, screentime is not all). Someone wrote he is only ~ 40% in his own film

Star Lord had to a degree more focus in GotG than BP in BP. Nothing wrong with that, the movies introduce very much different things, different many characters and more

BP in CW is way more than a cameo, he has more screentime (10:15) as e.g. Scarlett Witch, 15 sec less than Falscon, 90 sec less than Black Widow.

CM  .... arrgh, nearly forgot, no spoiler... vs something in BP like a civil unrest ++ with many involved equals, and upped tech... on a literal battlefield full of fighters pro and contra. Plus she never had an intro, no one spoke her name, no picture at a screen,... beside after IW that call sign on that pager

There are in my POV worlds between those two movies.

BP gave us way more than 'only' one male PoC SH.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Imo, the 'solo movie' distinction is just a convenient way for people to set aside the massive over-performance of the Avengers movies, since unless you find a way to not count them, very few movies are going to stack up.

So where you draw the line is pretty arbitrary, because 'solo movie' is not a meaningful distinction.  In interconnected universes, characters are going to be featured in each other's movies to varying degrees.  There are going to be movies with multiple main characters and ensemble casts, and in the wider movie landscape that's pretty normal.  The downside of this is that we get into rather pedantic debates on what exactly a solo movie is- does GOTG count?  Does Civil War? Thor: Ragnarok? Suicide Squad? etc. etc. etc.

For most of these borderline case movies (Civil War and BvS' openings are the exceptions, imo), there's nothing about their performance that suggest that their status as a 'solo' or 'ensemble' movie had a significant impact on their box office.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 4

According to Screen Engine/ComScore’s PostTrak, more women came out this weekend for Captain Marvel than last weekend, with significant jumps in the female under-25 demo (27% vs. last Saturday’s 19%). Overall, females are at 47% versus last weekend’s 42%

I'm sure it has been posted but still really noice!

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah, I got the INOX data in evening which included advance for Saturday as well so misjudged there.

Opening estimates from morning show was

Sucks that it couldn't best Furious 7, infact it's been 4 years & no movie except Infinity War has been able to do that.

43 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Imo, the 'solo movie' distinction is just a convenient way for people to set aside the massive over-performance of the Avengers movies, since unless you find a way to not count them, very few movies are going to stack up.

So where you draw the line is pretty arbitrary, because 'solo movie' is not a meaningful distinction.  In interconnected universes, characters are going to be featured in each other's movies to varying degrees.  There are going to be movies with multiple main characters and ensemble casts, and in the wider movie landscape that's pretty normal.  The downside of this is that we get into rather pedantic debates on what exactly a solo movie is- does GOTG count?  Does Civil War? Thor: Ragnarok? Suicide Squad? etc. etc. etc.

For most of these borderline case movies (Civil War and BvS' openings are the exceptions, imo), there's nothing about their performance that suggest that their status as a 'solo' or 'ensemble' movie had a significant impact on their box office.

Agreed completely, which is why I look at it pretty simply: you've got Avengers movies and all the other sub-franchise movies, whether they be true solos or not.

• Like 1

God my YouTube feed is getting filled with "CAPTAIN MARVEL FAKE BOX OFFICE PROOF" videos its starting to piss me the fuck off. What are these people's sources? Fucking twitter? That's right, no one with any credibility in the industry, someone who just says shit like "my friend told me this". You know what, y'all are the one's saying you're the skeptics? How about not believing everything you fucking read on fuckin twitter just because its how your shit for brains "president" reports his news. It's absolutely ludicrous that we're living in a world that much too similar to Orwell's "science fiction". 

Apologies for getting so upset, I just hate every time I have my headphones in and I'm trying to listen to music on youtube and it skips to the next video, its always some sweaty white dude saying "alright Imma keep drinking your tears you SJW hacks" like fuck off :lol: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Still it's 4 years plus GST plus GST

That difference of 1000 screens is big factor also Holiday.

FF8 released in only Digital screens and holiday but opening was less than Cap Marvel. Ultron had much better opening occupancy but released in 1500 less screens, result missed it by some 40 lakhs.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1