Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Dunno both Ant-Man films fell way short of $100M OW. Marvel and Feige have just been very smart on which properties to pick to adapt. 

I mean Ant Man & its sequel were still  successes.

Superheros movies have become so reliable it s kinda scary to be honest.

The gap, especially dom, between Cap Marvel and Alita s box office is insane.

People aren't just curious I guess with their movies ...

Edited by The Futurist

According to Screen Engine/ComScore’s PostTrak more women came out this weekend for Captain Marvel than last weekend with significant jumps in the female under 25 demo (27% vs. last Saturday’s 19%). Overall females are at 47% versus last weekend’s 42%. A solid four stars and 68% definite recommend in weekend 2 exit polls.

Might bode well for legs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

400M dom was never in question. it's just that some fans are too cautious with prediction but that was always going to happen trailer or no trailer. also, it should have a healthy jump today for 75M weekend.

Demo breakdown is interesting cause men still edge out women (despite their kicking and screaming on YT :rofl:) and on OW women made 42% whereas GOTG had 44% which was the highest for MCU at the time. Likewise, BP had 45% female attendance on OW. what GOTG and BP have in common? Shirtless men heavily featured in previews. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I mean Ant Man & its sequel were still  successes.

Superheros movies have become so reliable it s kinda scary to be honest.

The gap, especially dom, between Cap Marvel and Alita s box office is insane.

People aren't just curious I guess with their movies ...

I think its better to compare a new-to-the-movie-world-franchise movie to a similar new one.

Plus in Altia's case, it has some unique details, and is a genre movie, as such it has a few points the GA might not be as much into, as they might be more into all-ages-family movies. Its a Sci-Fi variant, an after the apocalypse story, not everyone's cup of tea, see also Mad Max.

MCU didn't start out all the way successful beside IM also.

GA often goes only 1-4x times per year into a cinema, it helps if they know what to expect. Its not only CBM, its also Fast & Furious, Mission Impossible, James Bond,.... but those are not all good for a whole family to watch at once. MCU I think, if parents are with them, know them,... starting age 6 years, without parents maybe 10-12 years and older, some parts maybe even younger. That doesn't mean its childish,... only less scenes involved that I would deem unfit for ... age.

Fast & Furious e.g. I see as, depending on the part, starting 12y or even starting 16y, not only for some scenes, but also bcs I do not think its good to show criminals as heroes in such a 'its cool' way to children in their formative phase/age.

James Bond, Mission Impossible, in my POV not fit for e.g. 6y old neither.

So if a family only goes a few times a year into a cinema, they might want to pick a movie all can enjoy for at least some parts (I still remember the ~ torture to have to sit through a few movies for under 6y old with my nephews then).

It adds a lot of GA possibility, if its not too 'special', story not too disturbing, not...

I also think too many movies per year nowadays get released, they kill each other with too much competition. We have less audience than a few decades back, but ~ 4 times as much movie titles per year.

I think that Disney + will see a lot more MCU get streaming TV show or movie treatment, not just already announced characters. Some properties may simply be better suited for that format instead of big screen plus didn't Iger say recently that they'll slow down with movies?

Captain Marvel can cross 400M DOM if it wants that, no problem for me.

However it shall not surpass JW: Fallen Kingdom (417M).

Let the total masterpiece win this one, CM can settle for surpassing Wonder Woman's 412M, but that shoud be enough.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 4
  • Disbelief 1

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

It is the A+ cinemascore that put people back in theater 

Yeah, but still, cultural stuff might get the opening but for long run you need content, it wasn't bad by any means but it wasn't something out of this world. Even Infinity War couldn't muster 700 million, although that ending might have something to do with it.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Let the total masterpiece win this one, CM can settle for surpassing Wonder Woman's 412M, but that shoud be enough.

:hahaha:

6 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah, but still, cultural stuff might get the opening but for long run you need content, it wasn't bad by any means but it wasn't something out of this world. Even Infinity War couldn't muster 700 million, although that ending might have something to do with it.

it's more to do with competition than ending. I think that it was losing screens and theaters cause more stuff was released. BP had the benefit of slower months. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You’re not alone. I also really liked Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Now, i hope nobody laughs at those who liked that movie.

• Haha 2