movies!movies!

King Richard | November 19, 2021 | Warner. Bros

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

@grim22 how well could have Dangal done if marketer to local Americans?

Maybe if it had been the Oscar choice and actually had a campaign, 25M? It's really really hard to make Americans watch something subtitled. Only Oscar winning movies will ever do more. The Indian community can get a movie to 10M.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Maybe if it had been the Oscar choice and actually had a campaign, 25M? It's really really hard to make Americans watch something subtitled. Only Oscar winning movies will ever do more. The Indian community can get a movie to 10M.

Dangal did like $12.6M, guess now a Bollywood film can try $15M, and if IMAX release may be $16-17M.

This was fantastic, very gripping and uplifting story with excellent performances all round.

When you see the clips of the real Richard Williams, you can really see how Will Smith absolutely nailed his voice and mannerisms, but he does his own things with it and doesn’t veer into just doing an impersonation. He should definitely be in consideration for awards for this, it’s the best he’s been in years.

Well I think it's clear that Smith is winning for this one. I have yet to watch it. As far as box office is concerned, I think this will have a lower opening than we're expecting, primarily because of the HBO Max, and it feels like a "stay at home"/family movie. I'm predicting 5-6 million $ opening, although if the audience really goes for it, 9-10 million $ are doable.

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I've read this way more hagiography than biography. Shame, as it's undoubtedly interesting subject matter, but I suppose oscar-bait's gotta oscar-bait.

It's more that it isn't about Richard Williams' life. It's about the part of his life which deals with Venus and Serena and making them into tennis champions. The look at his internal life we get are minimal but revealing. 

9 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I've read this way more hagiography than biography. Shame, as it's undoubtedly interesting subject matter, but I suppose oscar-bait's gotta oscar-bait.

I wouldn't go that far, it presents a flawed man who gets called out at times, but also could have shown Richard in a worse light than it did.

The REPLIES: Black Twitter is really not having it! Every awards contender gets some sort of negative attack, but with Venus and Serena so heavily involved in the production, I don't think the sexism argument will go very far.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The REPLIES: Black Twitter is really not having it! Every awards contender gets some sort of negative attack, but with Venus and Serena so heavily involved in the production, I don't think the sexism argument will go very far.

Seems like Dr Jessica Taylor completely missed the point of the film in her hurry to try and post clickbait…

Also, I’d argue that Venus in particular is co-lead with Richard. It’s very much about her rise to success. As much as the person behind this tweet would hate to admit it (and I’m sure the film sanitised it), Venus got where she did in large part because of her fathers input, anyone who’s actually watched the film can see that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Seems like Dr Jessica Taylor completely missed the point of the film in her hurry to try and post clickbait…

Also, I’d argue that Venus in particular is co-lead with Richard. It’s very much about her rise to success. As much as the person behind this tweet would hate to admit it (and I’m sure the film sanitised it), Venus got where she did in large part because of her fathers input, anyone who’s actually watched the film can see that.

The lead of the third act is pretty much the actress playing Venus Williams. Feels like the person who tweeted this didn't watch the movie.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 6:47 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

@grim22 how well could have Dangal done if marketer to local Americans?

Given American audiences strong resistence to  foreign language films, I doubt a big marketing campaign would have changed much.

And Bollywood movies have never developed a cult following the way some foreign language genres have....Hong Kong action movies and anime being examples.

Caught this on HBO the other night.  Will Smith did a great job and deserves all the accolades. The young actresses were very appealing, but I honestly was left somewhat uninspired and deflated at the end for what should be an amazing story, mainly because the focus on the Dad, I think, which left most of the other characters pretty one-note.  It wasn't a bad movie or anything. It was free, so I got my money's worth.  It was just...kind of eh for me.  The girls seemed so charming and interesting on the surface, but there had to be a lot more going on there, and their story seemed to just be begining by the end of the movie.  That story seems really compelling.

The Dad was certainly a complicated character and seemed to love his family, but he also seemed like a jerk half the time, both to his family and to others, so he wasn't really someone to cheer for except that I wanted to see the girls succeed, almost despite him, really.  I don't know. It was just ultimately unsatisfying, but I felt there was a much more interesting story in there that I would have enjoyed a lot more. I'm not a tennis person, so maybe that was some of it.  Maybe that just is the story and since it is someone's life, it is what it is.  I don't know enough about the family to say if it is an accurate representation or not.  I'm glad I got to see it, but would not ever watch it again, I guess is where I come down.