CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

The second film pretty much salted the earth with every decision they made. And with 2 back to back badly received movies, it becomes exponentially harder for the franchise to climb back up to the glory days.

They should just plan to give it an ending in #4, take a break and then see where to take the Potter franchise.

Like I'm gonna pretend this isn't going to fall into rotten territory.

After years of defending this franchise and pushing for this film's success, I am now no longer on board with making a fourth or fifth film even if I LOVE this film.

This series needs to end as it clearly suffers from schizophrenia - maybe SoD fares better, but still...

I'd rather have an entirely new series with entirely new characters - a TV series, perhaps. But I don't think Beasts can go on.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Not even CoG had an average rating this low to start with. Percentage was about the same.

Because The Crimes of Grindelwald had good will from the previous movie. With SoD previous movie got bad reviews and Rowling became a very controversial figure on Twitter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

The second film pretty much salted the earth with every decision they made. And with 2 back to back badly received movies, it becomes exponentially harder for the franchise to climb back up to the glory days.

They should just plan to give it an ending in #4, take a break and then see where to take the Potter franchise.

They're not gonna do a fourth unless the box office surprises and it approaches $500m WW. 

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Like I'm gonna pretend this isn't going to fall into rotten territory.

After years of defending this franchise and pushing for this film's success, I am now no longer on board with making a fourth or fifth film even if I LOVE this film.

This series needs to end as it clearly suffers from schizophrenia - maybe SoD fares better, but still...

I'd rather have an entirely new series with entirely new characters - a TV series, perhaps. But I don't think Beasts can go on.

Let's wait for the audience reactions. It was inevitable that the movie written by Rowling can't get positive reactions from critics anymore.

Edited by WeThrones
  • Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Spoiler

It feels like everything here indicates that they could end this franchise with this movie.

I don't know if you all agree, but a bad box office and end of this series would be the best for us who love the WW..

We don't need more 2 of this 

Yates can go to the hell and Rowling needs a good creative team with her (Kloves was never a good creator)..

1 minute ago, Rogerio said:

I don't know if you all agree, but a bad box office and end of this series would be the best for us who love the WW..

Yates can go to the hell and Rowling needs a good creative team with her (Kloves was never a good creator)..

Yates I like and his direction is mostly given positive notices even in the negative reviews, but HIS TIME IS UP. 

This universe badly needs new blood. And right now, to end the Fantastic Beasts series with this film seems like the best thing they can do.

Would be sad if they don't make 5 but at this point it would make sense. I just saw a review from a casual moviegoer on YT and he said it's the best of the three but at the end more or less solid. Also implied that the ending is good and leaves room for more but at the same time a good wrap up. So the Dumbledore Gindelwald might have happened already. I would be disappointed ending this franchise without their fight. At the same time i don't find more reasons for Newt to be in it

Honestly, the best thing for the Potter franchise is to rid itself of Rowling and Yates and get some new blood. Rowling being a transphobe aside, I don’t see she translates well as a screenwriter as book and movies are two different mediums entirely, which happens to a lot of writers when trying both mediums. I also think Yates is kind of tapped out at this point.

Maybe not, Potter sequel series but maybe try some things events post Deathly Hallows or do a Voldemort’s rise type prequel.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rogerio said:

If this flops, there won't be new movies after this at all. For a veeery long time.

You saw what happened with Star Wars.

This idea that killing one part of the franchise will help other part is wrong.

It will probably move to HBO MAX and maybe not even that.

Edited by WeThrones

4 minutes ago, Rogerio said:

I never understood why they said from the start that they wanted to make 5 movies. 5 movies about ... Fantastic Beasts? It seemed like the most obvious cash-grab from the start.

I would have loved 2 movies solely about the Beasts with Newt as main character instead. Like, a nice story about the magical animals of the Potter universe in 2 movies that tell a uniqe story. All this stuff with Hogwarts, Dumbledore, Grindelwald ... all this seems like 2 or 3 different series mixed into one.

• Like 1

Solo flopping killed the whole Star Wars cinematic universe. There are no new movies and who knows when they will actually happen

This flopping will kill Harry Potter universe for a very long time. Don't try to convince yourself otherwise. There is no way WB will invest in another Harry Potter spinoff if this flops.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Honestly, the best thing for the Potter franchise is to rid itself of Rowling and Yates and get some new blood. Rowling being a transphobe aside, I don’t see she translates well as a screenwriter as book and movies are two different mediums entirely, which happens to a lot of writers when trying both mediums. I also think Yates is kind of tapped out at this point.

Maybe not, Potter sequel series but maybe try some things events post Deathly Hallows or do a Voldemort’s rise type prequel.

Fans had been asking for a prequel movie involving Harry's parents, Sirius (the Marauders). That set of movie could have easily also included the rise of Voldemort and the first wizarding war ending the series right when HP series began. These set of movies would have a lot of familiar characters plus an actual Hogwarts students setting like the original movies. But instead we got this convoluted mess.

I know many people want something original set in the HP universe with new characters but at least the Marauders and First Wizarding War series would have been better and more exciting for fans than this one. 

• Like 3