Eric is Quiet

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

The teaser looks great and am really interested to see how it turns out, and I am very excited for the movie. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Eric the IF said:

I mean I don't know about you, but non-consensual kissing, even if it's on the cheek and "isn't sexual", is really fucking gross and Coppola shouldn't do that shit. And if that's somehow ageist to not do something creepy, then I guess I'm cool being ageist then.

It's 100% gross and shouldn't happen, fortunately those comments aren't what is ageist. "Dirty old man" type of comments are ageist. If true, Coppolla is a creep for what he did, not because of the age he was when he did it, simple as that.

"Dirty old man" comments are no different than people who say "stupid (insert race here)
(insert gender here)" etc.

Edited by excel1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, toutvabien said:

I get that the timing of all the hit pieces is ringing some alarms and the need of ppl to be on Coppola's side as the earnest/ambitious artist in the war with greedy Hollywood heads and all that, but it's also not unheard of that a person in power would be abusing that power over ppl working for them. It doesn't matter if Copolla himself sees actions like kissing ppl on the cheek as innocent or even an attempt at creating a cute/chill/relaxed/friendly environment, if the vibes are off and get turned even more off for the ppl on the receiving end of his "gestures". Most of that stuff also doesn't get out while the film is in production/the incidents are happening or even until years after the film is out... and timing really just shouldn't be a card thrown against anyone who feels they were harassed to invalidate them.

Which as of right now is no one. 

• Like 1

How someone could argue against the creepiness/grossness of it is nuts. Also yes, his age DOES play a part in it. Because this kind of stuff happens far too often with older men (especially white men). Obviously there are PLENTY of younger men who do this crap too, and that is also creepy/gross.

10 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

How someone could argue against the creepiness/grossness of it is nuts.

Because no one here actually knows what happened?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Because no one here actually knows what happened?

Well it was reported to have happened. Whether it was "consensual" or not is irrelevant. He's the director on the film, wielding his power over anyone on set. Have we not learned anything over the last 7-20  years?

15 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

How someone could argue against the creepiness/grossness of it is nuts. Also yes, his age DOES play a part in it. Because this kind of stuff happens far too often with older men (especially white men).

I find it more nuts you managed to connect skin color to cheek kissing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Well it was reported to have happened. Whether it was "consensual" or not is irrelevant. He's the director on the film, wielding his power over anyone on set. Have we not learned anything over the last 7-20  years?

What I've learned is that victims should be listened to. If someone says they were harassed or abused, we should listen to them.

And that hasn't happened here. No one has made any allegation of harassment. This frenzy is over a brief sentence in the bottom of one long article about the production, that says "witnesses" claim he kissed people. So, not actual accounts or complaints from anyone saying they were harassed.

It's a non story. If someone speaks out and says they were uncomfortable or were harassed, I will change my opinion. Until then, I won't pretend to know any more than anyone else reading a vague sentence at the bottom of an article.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Whether it was "consensual" or not is irrelevant.

But it is, that's the whole point. This is insane, you might as well claim touching your own girlfriend or wife is creepy and gross. Like what? Is this Demolition Man society?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

How someone could argue against the creepiness/grossness of it is nuts. Also yes, his age DOES play a part in it. Because this kind of stuff happens far too often with older men (especially white men). Obviously there are PLENTY of younger men who do this crap too, and that is also creepy/gross.

Age is irrelevant. It's behavior that is wrong, not his age. Just like if a POC robs a store, it is their behavior that's wrong & it's absurd for racists to bring the robbers race into the equation, etc etc. 90% of robberies that neighborhood could be committed by POC, it still is wrong to bring up the race because now we starting projecting that onto others of their backgrounds that have not done that type of behavior. 90% of robberies could by the POC, but only 1% of POC are committing robberies, but now people start associating "POC are robbers" with 100% of the people, which is absurd. That thought process is actually the very root of most discrimination. 

React and judge the behavior and leave the broad generalizations based on age, gender, skin color, favorite color out of the equation unless it is overwhelming obvious. 

Edited by excel1

12 minutes ago, Avatree said:

What I've learned is that victims should be listened to. If someone says they were harassed or abused, we should listen to them.

And that hasn't happened here. No one has made any allegation of harassment. This frenzy is over a brief sentence in the bottom of one long article about the production, that says "witnesses" claim he kissed people. So, not actual accounts or complaints from anyone saying they were harassed.

It's a non story. If someone speaks out and says they were uncomfortable or were harassed, I will change my opinion. Until then, I won't pretend to know any more than anyone else reading a vague sentence at the bottom of an article.

100% on point, perfectly said. Listen to & verify is what should when an actual accuser comes forward, not 'instantly believe and help exaggerate'. 

51 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

But it is, that's the whole point. This is insane, you might as well claim touching your own girlfriend or wife is creepy and gross. Like what? Is this Demolition Man society?

Do you think a boss having a consensual relationship with someone they employ is problematic?

44 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Age is irrelevant. It's behavior that is wrong, not his age. Just like if a POC robs a store, it is their behavior that's wrong & it's absurd for racists to bring the robbers race into the equation, etc etc. 90% of robberies that neighborhood could be committed by POC, it still is wrong to bring up the race because now we starting projecting that onto others of their backgrounds that have not done that type of behavior. 90% of robberies could by the POC, but only 1% of POC are committing robberies, but now people start associating "POC are robbers" with 100% of the people, which is absurd. That thought process is actually the very root of most discrimination. 

React and judge the behavior and leave the broad generalizations based on age, gender, skin color, favorite color out of the equation unless it is overwhelming obvious. 

My god shut up dude. If you don't think his age is a factor in his behavior, you're kidding yourself. Just like if my grandpa gets in a car accident, his age is a factor.

• Knock It Off 1

42 minutes ago, excel1 said:

100% on point, perfectly said. Listen to & verify is what should when an actual accuser comes forward, not 'instantly believe and help exaggerate'. 

Who is exaggerating? Nobody here has said he did anything more than what people have said he did. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Who is exaggerating? 

Saying “being consensual doesn’t matter” to accuse someone of harassment seems like exaggerating statement to me. This is a very serious topic, and it’s starting to not be treated as such.

It is definitely harassment even in the cheeks, but only if it’s not consensual, then yeah this needs to be criticized and treated way more seriously than throwing the info in a hit piece along with insane production complains.

But since there’s no actual people appearing to say it happened to them and they didn’t consent, maybe it’s time to end this discourse until there’s something more concrete, because it’s really exaggerating now based in info that are extremely vague.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

So is Driver's goal to be in mediocre films from legends until they're done? Wasn't Oscar Issac the guy wanted for the lead?

It's now been Silence (actually pretty good), Ferrari, House of Gucci, Man Who Likked Don Quixote, Megalopolis. There are more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Knock It Off 1

Ferrari, The Last Duel, Annette (Carax isn't that old but it was another movie Driver helped get made) all good. And fingers crossed for Heat 2. If I were him I'd jump at the chance to hang around the old-timers while I still could, too. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Do you think a boss having a consensual relationship with someone they employ is problematic?

It's unprofessional, but "problematic, gross, disturbing etc" are wrong words for this.

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

My god shut up dude. If you don't think his age is a factor in his behavior, you're kidding yourself. Just like if my grandpa gets in a car accident, his age is a factor.

Bro your average 85 year old man isn't going around kissing strangers lol stop. Your average 85 year man probably should not be driving a car though LOL they are not close to the same