terrestrial

Thursday 11 April Shazam! $2.373m | Pet Semat. 1.226 | CM .886 | Dumbo .8806 | US .8606

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I mean that's fair. It's not dropping more than average. Perhaps it's the high hopes and expectations of many that incredible reviews brought. Average doesn't always feel good especially if the movie is perceived to be excellent by critics and WOM.

I mean Captain Marvel's drops are miles better than Shazam. So either Captain Marvel's WOM is much better than Shazam's or Shazam has a very limited audience appeal. Captain Marvel has played over a month with great hold while Shazam is dropping big after the first weekend. Not even the likes of Dumbo and Hellboy bombing is helping Shazam at all to hold at the box office. Think how big Shazam's drops would be if both Dumbo and Hellboy were even decent movies.

Edited by LordNox

Just now, cdsacken said:

I mean that's fair. It's not dropping more than average. Perhaps it's the high hopes and expectations of many that incredible reviews brought. Average doesn't always feel good especially if the movie is perceived to be excellent by critics and WOM.

For a non sequel ? Hard to say lot of summer release in the genre and it is so few days into is run but

Shazam made 22.8% of it's OW is first 4 days of it's first week.

if we compare to the previous non summer/holiday

Captain Marvel 28.3% of it's OW

Doctor Strange, 29%

Venom 33%

Deadpool, 36%

Black Panther, 44%

Sequel

Winter Soldier: 23.76%

Except for Black Panther, nothing had specially high multiplier among those with quite higher start.

It need to become a weekend performer some turn around the trend, to not have an multiplier below average of well received first entry no ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Shazam has a very limited audience appeal

I think this is it, the among of people that will say not for me regardless of how liked it is for it's target audience is probably really high.

A bit of a Spiderverse being one if not the best SH in a long time doing way less than Suicide Squad, it is perceived childish by some and not appropriate for the young family by others I would imagine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think this is it, the among of people that will say not for me regardless of how liked it is for it's target audience is probably really high.

A bit of a Spiderverse being one if not the best SH in a long time doing way less than Suicide Squad, it is perceived childish by some and not appropriate for the young family by others I would imagine.

That makes a sequel exciting to speculate about. Because its clear that if the sequel is similar to the first one it will still do low numbers overseas. And yes the sequel could probably add about 50M more domestically, but the budget will probably be higher as well. I can see the sequel go from 380M like this to 500-550M, but with a bigger budget the profits would be pretty similar. The only way for a sequel to do better than that would be to change a lot to make it more appealing overseas. Because a movie that Asia doesn't care about and doesn't do a lot even in the US and Europe is in a hard spot when it comes to growth prospects for the sequel.

30 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I mean Captain Marvel's drops are miles better than Shazam. So either Captain Marvel's WOM is much better than Shazam's or Shazam has a very limited audience appeal. Captain Marvel has played over a month with great hold while Shazam is dropping big after the first weekend. Not even the likes of Dumbo and Hellboy bombing is helping Shazam at all to hold at the box office. Think how big Shazam's drops would be if both Dumbo and Hellboy were even decent movies.

Shazam is targeted for kids, which means big drop on weekdays.

• Thanks 1

I actually think with a PG13 Shazam! aimed at older kids, mostly male teens. What might be a reason that it behaves a bit mixed.

• Like 1

Yeah in hindsight i think Shazam would have done better at the box office if they went even more childish and made it into a PG movie. Maybe have Shazam be like a live action version of the incredibles. And go 100 % for the children and family crowd, instead of just adult superhero fans that only cared about the Marvel movies coming out. With Dumbo bombing a lighter and more childish Shazam movie could have dominated the family crowd fully. But this is all in hindsight and they couldn't predict the audiences rejecting Dumbo.

10 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Shazam is targeted for kids, which means big drop on weekdays.

We wouldn't really know that until we know for sure it's 2nd weekend performance day-to-day percentage wise. If it goes above 180%-200% friday increase, 70%-100% saturday increase from friday and under 30% drop for sunday from saturday. That's what I call a family/kids movie type of performance. 

4 minutes ago, tawasal said:

We wouldn't really know that until we know for sure it's 2nd weekend performance day-to-day percentage wise. If it goes above 180%-200% friday increase, 70%-100% saturday increase from friday and under 30% drop for sunday from saturday. That's what I call a family/kids movie type of performance. 

Does that include Monday being schools out for some?

Edited by terrestrial

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

According to Deadline’s estimates (take it for what it is at this point), that’s a check on the Friday for Shazam!. We will see what Saturday and Sunday bring. I checked two children’s movies (How to Train Your Dragon and Beauty and The Beast) and apart from one weekend (Beauty and The Beast) neither did what you quoted above during most of their runs. Shazam! seems to be a hybrid between children/superhero movie. If Deadline is correct, the Friday jump will be monstrous. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

According to Deadline’s estimates (take it for what it is at this point), that’s a check on the Friday for Shazam!. We will see what Saturday and Sunday bring. I checked two children’s movies (How to Train Your Dragon and Beauty and The Beast) and apart from one weekend (Beauty and The Beast) neither did what you quoted above during most of their runs. Shazam! seems to be a hybrid between children/superhero movie. If Deadline is correct, the Friday jump will be monstrous. 

I was basing my math on the latest Dragon movie's 2nd weekend. 

Friday: +214.0%
Saturday: +118.9%
Sunday: -32.4%

12 minutes ago, tawasal said:

With schools out around the 60%-50% drop for monday if it performs like kids movie. 

I meant the changes within the weekend

Lionsgate finally gave their numbers

The Kid Lionsgate $1,305 -9% 22 $59   $1,490,557 35

Cold Pursuit Lionsgate $6,522 -18% 118 $55   $32,081,587 63
(-) No Manches Frida 2 Lionsgate $18,809 -32% 275 $68   $8,862,565 2
(13) Tyler Perry’s A Madea Fam… Lionsgate $47,009 -31% 1,101 $43   $72,385,430 42
- (8) Five Feet Apart Lionsgate $163,870 -20% 2,484 $66   $42,361,394 2

FIVE FEET APART $163K Thursday $42.36M Total (North America)

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Exactly, but respectfully that is not what you wrote. You said UNDER 30% Sunday. 

Yeah, because most family movies drop less than 30% on sundays.