terrestrial

Thursday 11 April Shazam! $2.373m | Pet Semat. 1.226 | CM .886 | Dumbo .8806 | US .8606

5 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

How appropriate in context of analyzing Shazam! Tomb Raider made 274M WW. It had a budget of 94 million (really close to Shazam!) and it is getting a sequel. Shazam may be at or close to 270M by the end of its second weekend.

I had to 'fight' with the format, I added exactly that in red font and the final quote for that very reason.

Ppl forget HV, digital sales and rent and other forms of income way too often.

Btw, Tomb Rider has even a similar budget, acc BOM $94m

(marked for the ones seemingly doing their best to miss all that avoids the doom posts)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Roi does. For a minor player like mgm it’s good. WB has bigger fish to fry. 

Dude, money is money; profit is profit. Whether it’s WB or MGM, they will take it. MGM is far from a small fish. They are a major studio with a historic past. 

Roi does. For a minor player like mgm it’s good. WB has bigger fish to fry. 

But WB even more has the backing to risk a part 2. And in this case.... the finals ww should be higher anyway, or?

Illumination’s SING 2 will be delayed 6 months, taking the stage July 2, 2021 instead of Dec. 25, 2020.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I’m not sure of it either. Isn’t 55% pretty solid for a first timer? It’s right there with ant man. 

55% drop is pretty much in line with the typical CBM second weekend drop. Which is why I am confused folks are saying it is underperforming/flopping....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

But WB even more has the backing to risk a part 2. And in this case.... the finals ww should be higher anyway, or?

Illumination’s SING 2 will be delayed 6 months, taking the stage July 2, 2021 instead of Dec. 25, 2020.

I’m not saying wb shouldn’t pursue this. Of course not. It looks like a nice profit maker DC. I’m just saying mgm is a little more desperate than Warner and that Shazam won’t be seen as big a success as maybe mgm sees tomb raider 

18 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

How appropriate in context of analyzing Shazam! Tomb Raider made 274M WW. It had a budget of 94 million (really close to Shazam!) and it is getting a sequel. Shazam may be at or close to 270M by the end of its second weekend.

Is Tom Raider getting a sequel? Because I want it so much, just to see Alicia again. 

• Like 2

I’m not saying wb shouldn’t pursue this. Of course not. It looks like a nice profit maker DC. I’m just saying mgm is a little more desperate than Warner and that Shazam won’t be seen as big a success as maybe mgm sees tomb raider 

on paper Tomb Raider was seen as minus per theatrical run.

Shazam!:

It will increase the merchandise too, lots and lots of income an average movie can not count on. Think big picture 😉

Get your troglodyte on! DWA’s THE CROODS 2 will rock on Dec. 23, 2020, instead of Sept. 18, 2020.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I’m not sure of it either. Isn’t 55% pretty solid for a first timer? It’s right there with ant man. 

Ant Man could live with that, because it had better weekdays, almost double Shazam's amount. 

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Is Tom Raider getting a sequel? Because I want it so much, just to see Alicia again. 

I guess you missed my post?  Amy Jump is writing...

https://deadline.com/2019/04/tomb-raider-sequel-mgm-warner-bros-amy-jump-write-script-1202594616/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Pet Sematary grossed an estimated $1.23M on Thursday. 7-Day total stands at $31.12M.

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

I know it’s not superhero related but how is Pet Sematary looking?

2 hours earlier .... 😉

Just now, terrestrial said:

Yeah I did, sorry. But this is amazing I love Alicia Vikander so much and would watch anything she is involved in. I found the movie enjoyable, so wouldn't mind a sequel. I wish it also got more money invested in it. 

• Like 1

Things people need to think about it in perspective. If it costs 95 million and brings in 95 net million it's going to be deemed worthy to expand to a sequel. 

Those numbers are the examples mind you. It could make half that and still merit a sequel it WB deems it enough.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I honestly think the release date is the issue. They should have pushed it for August like Suicide Squad or December like Aquaman.

To be stuck in-between 2 of the year's most anticipated superhero movies is a bad move imo. EndGame's presales created more news and buzz and totally covered up Shazam's marketing in its final week.

And anyone who has seen the movie knows that Shazam is set during Christmas....

In 2019, there's no better spot for the film...August has the Fast and Furious spin off and New Mutants and would come on the heels of super after super after super (CM, Endgame, Dark Phoenix, and it's closest compare - Spidey), plus all the ENORMOUS animated family franchise films ...and if you go too late in the month, you hit the dregs of August...

In December, you have Frozen 2 as the lead in...and Jumanji and Star Wars to destroy the field at the end...as we saw this year, you aren't guaranteed great runs just b/c you're a holiday movie...Aquaman did great, and Spidey was the only other holiday film to recover to a good total...and everything else ate each other and disappointed...

You could kick the film to 2020...but then the kids aren't getting younger and sequels are becoming impossible...

So, it's the date they had.  They worked with it.  They probably decreased their expectations b/c of it.  And they are doing fine in it.  It's not an Endgame total, it's not a CM total (which also had enormous concern trolling in its 2nd weekend about "this can never make $400m now"...how "right" that trolling was then), it was never going to be...

It's at best a $200M+ DOM movie...never a $300M+ one...will it make that total?  It's looking less likely now, but even if it gets to $140-$150M, the most the studio left on the table is probably $40-$50M DOM revenue...not enough to justify saving the film to 2020 and definitely ruling out future sequels b/c you left it on the shelf so long...better to get a nice kick off, get a spin off going, and set up the sequel that will bring in the hordes...

• Like 1

Approx global theatrical returns of Shazam if it does only 340 WW (150 dom, 190 OS = 150 OS-China + 40 China),

150*0.55 + 150*0.40 + 40*0.25 = 152.5

That covers the prod budget and eats into half the global marketing budget more or less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

Approx global theatrical returns of Shazam if it does only 340 WW (150 dom, 190 OS = 150 OS-China + 40 China),

150*0.55 + 150*0.40 + 40*0.25 = 152.5

That covers the prod budget and eats into half the global marketing budget more or less.

Plus video sales will cover the rest. 340 definitely wouldn't come close to Ant Man's 103 net profit but it would be a profit after video sales. 380 would a lot closer I bet.