SLAM!

Best Animated Feature 2019

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

But two things are certain: based on their absence, Masaaski Yuasa's Riding With You will probably run in 2020, and the Italian one about the bears in Sicily will probably run in 2020, too. 

Which is going to be super confusing for me, since I already saw the Sicilian bears movie last weekend and will be seeing Ride Your Wave in like three days. Ah well, it's not like either of them will actually get nominated...*

Also, I'm surprised the new Aardman Shaun the Sheep movie isn't shortlisted. I can't imagine they're planning on postponing it for the competition next year, since I know it's already coming out this weekend here in the UK.

Either way, it looks like I've got a bunch of new movies to add on my 'To Watch' list.

*I say that acting like this hasn't already happened before and I didn't already see Funan last year. Or The Night is Short, Walk on Girl the year before it was shortlisted. Or Birdboy the year before that. Or that this isn't incredibly common with foreign animated movies and I should stop pretending to act surprised about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SLAM! said:

This has to be the biggest submission list I've ever seen for this category. There's so many interesting choices here that it genuinely saddens me to have three slots practically reserved for sequels.

But two things are certain: based on their absence, Masaaski Yuasa's Riding With You will probably run in 2020, and the Italian one about the bears in Sicily will probably run in 2020, too. Bombay Rose will probably run in 2020 as well. No shame in that; if they need more time in the oven, so be it.

Is Dragon the third sequel? 

If so, then the category should be near locked then. With all the buzz I don't see how Weatherig With You misses and with Ne Zha being a phenomen I think it should unless it's terrible (I haven't seen it). 

Okay, I've seen Weathering with You now and unless something else manages to get the necessary momentum in the next few months, I'd say it's probably going to get the token Foreign Animation nod. It's pretty dang good. Not as good as Your Name, admittedly, but it's more like a Get Out -> Us quality drop rather than anything serious. It may not be as good as what came before it, but it's still a damn solid movie in its own right. 

I can see the ending being controversial though. Personally, I genuinely really did like what they went with it, since the alternative would be a cheap copout, but I also feel the execution could've been stronger and accidentally ended up muddling the final message and themes a bit. With that said, the rest of the story is strong enough that I don't think it'll hurt its chances that much. 

Of course, if it was up to me, I'd give the Foreign Animation nod (and probably the win unless Frozen 2 blows it away) to Promare, which I also saw this weekend, but I also know the Academy doesn't have the goddamn guts to do something awesome like that.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/netflix-i-lost-my-body-grand-prize-animation-is-film-festival-1202183934/

Netflix Oscar-Contender ‘I Lost My Body’ Takes Top Honors at Animation Is Film 2019

How animation is film prize affect Oscar race? The track record isn't long enough as AIF is only 3 years old.

1st - Breadwinner (Nominee)

2nd -  Funan (Snubbed)

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/netflix-i-lost-my-body-grand-prize-animation-is-film-festival-1202183934/

Netflix Oscar-Contender ‘I Lost My Body’ Takes Top Honors at Animation Is Film 2019

How animation is film prize affect Oscar race? The track record isn't long enough as AIF is only 3 years old.

2nd -  Funan (Snubbed)

I think it's too early to tell how affective of a metric that festival is. Funan isn't snubbed yet because it's running for this year's nomination as opposed to last year's. Do I hope the metric goes on to count for something? Absolutely.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

2nd -  Funan (Snubbed)

I don't know how much the specific animation prize you mentioned means in regards to this, but I will say that I Lost My Body has been on my radar as one of the most likely films to potentially overtake Weathering with You in regards to the Oscar nom. It won a prize in Cannes and also two out of three of the awards at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival, which only 4 other movies have ever done, all of whom also got eventual Oscar noms (specifically, The Breadwinner, My Life as a Zucchini, The Boy and the World and Fantastic Mr Fox). 

Currently I'm still thinking Weathering with You is more likely, since it has the better 'narrative' (specifically the Academy making up for overlooking Your Name back in 2016), but if anything's going to challenge it, I reckon it'll either be I Lost My Body. Or Nezha.

Also, I'm seeing it in November, because of course I am.

50 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

I don't know how much the specific animation prize you mentioned means in regards to this, but I will say that I Lost My Body has been on my radar as one of the most likely films to potentially overtake Weathering with You in regards to the Oscar nom. It won a prize in Cannes and also two out of three of the awards at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival, which only 4 other movies have ever done, all of whom also got eventual Oscar noms (specifically, The Breadwinner, My Life as a Zucchini, The Boy and the World and Fantastic Mr Fox). 

Currently I'm still thinking Weathering with You is more likely, since it has the better 'narrative' (specifically the Academy making up for overlooking Your Name back in 2016), but if anything's going to challenge it, I reckon it'll either be I Lost My Body. Or Nezha.

Also, I'm seeing it in November, because of course I am.

I think I Lost My Body and Weathering With You can both be nominated this year. Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, and HtTYD 3 are the only clear locks in this category. Unless Spies in Disguise is randomly exceptional, or unless they really want to nominate all the Laika films (Missing Link), I really think there can be two foreign language nominations, as there was in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Heck, I'd go as far as to say that, because there's a record 32 submitted films, even more voters will fail to meet the minimum viewing requirement, leading to the type of truly legitimate final five we were graced with before the rule change. There's no way the voters who don't like animation enough to appreciate the foreign ones will actually watch 16 animated films. No way.

Edited by SLAM!

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

so the reviews for Frozen 2 seem much weaker than the first, can we cross it off as a potential winner in February? not hearing great things about the songs either...

Well, if Frozen 2 is weaker, then they're just going to give it to Toy Story 4. Heck, if Finding Dory failed to get a nomination, maybe Frozen 2 could fail in the same way. That'd be an exciting happenstance--three sequels hogging three out of five nomination slots isn't very exciting for Oscar pundits.

Finally got the chance to see I Lost My Body today. Honestly, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I can kinda see where the buzz for it coming from, since half the story is legitimately fantastic, but the other half is just a fairly bleh drama that feels like it gets the lion's share of the screentime. And the movie absolutely fails to bring its two main plot threads satisfyingly together at the end before finishing on a very abrupt note I was more annoyed at than enthralled by. I still reckon it has a possible chance of making the Oscar nom simply by the strength of the good half (which I'd honestly compare to the junk planet part of Wall-E in terms of telling an effective story with no dialogue), but I don't see it pulling out a surprise win and beating out Toy Story 4 or any of the others.

Also saw Bunuel and the Labyrinth of Turtles, another French film that's also on the shortlist. I liked it just fine, (even if the title and promotional images are hella misleading to anyone not familiar with Luis Bunuel), but I don't think it has a hope of getting nominated. For a movie- an animated movie- about a famous surrealist director, it's shockingly tame. Although I will give it credit for possibly being the first animated movie ever to fail the 'No Animals were harmed during the making of this film' test.

On a more positive note French animation note though, (even if it's technically a Oscar contender from last year), I did finally get to see Ruben Brandt: Collector and it was absolutely fantastic. Definite recommend if you get a chance to watch.

• Like 2

1. Toy Story 4

2. I Lost My Body

3. Frozen 2

4. Klaus

5. Missing Link

people seem to be really in to klaus which i didn't expect. plus since it's netflix's first big animated project i imagine they'll push hard for it. supposedly missing link has been getting a big push too. i lost my body i think is gonna win the critics awards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

1. Toy Story 4

2. I Lost My Body

3. Frozen 2

4. Klaus

5. Missing Link

people seem to be really in to klaus which i didn't expect. plus since it's netflix's first big animated project i imagine they'll push hard for it. supposedly missing link has been getting a big push too. i lost my body i think is gonna win the critics awards.

yeah I also think Weathering With You is gonna miss the nomination, its buzz is non-existent and being mostly inferior to Your Name and having a really late release date probably doesn't help. 

I agree with the top 4 choices but I'd replace Missing Link with How To Train Your Dragon 3. the first 2 were both nominated with the 2nd one winning the globe. though having 3 sequel movies out of the 5 nominations will probably not look very great so we'll see. 

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

yeah I also think Weathering With You is gonna miss the nomination, its buzz is non-existent and being mostly inferior to Your Name and having a really late release date probably doesn't help. 

I agree with the top 4 choices but I'd replace Missing Link with How To Train Your Dragon 3. the first 2 were both nominated with the 2nd one winning the globe. though having 3 sequel movies out of the 5 nominations will probably not look very great so we'll see. 

The best chance Weathering With You has is if it actually manages to receive a place on the Foreign category's shortlist. Voters who watch all ten shortlisted films (which is a requirement to vote) will see the film, and films that are seen have a stronger chance than films that aren't seen. So if that happens to WwY, then its chances would go up drastically. The trouble is, that Foreign category is stacked with high-profile options. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Interesting that, between the Academy's loathe to go outside the big-studio norm and their hatred of animated sequels, they'll have no choice but to award ... an animated sequel because they would never consider an anime film or a Laika film.

• Like 1

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/annie-awards-nominations-disney-frozen-2-laika-missing-link-oscars-animated-feature-1202193479/

Annie Award

Best Feature

Frozen 2

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Klaus

Missing Link

Toy Story 4

Best Indie Feature

Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles

I Lost My Body

Okko’s Inn

Promare

Weathering With You

Frozen 2 & Missing Link are coming strong with 8 noms each

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, RealLyre said:

But WwY got 4 nominations at Annie, not even Mirai last year can get that number.

the buzz is there, and I can see some members will vote for WwY anyway to compensate your name snub 

• Like 1

I haven't seen it so don't take my word for it, but I'm not sure if Okko's Inn really earns its nomination in that Indie category. There's more than five intriguing foreign animated films eligible for that category every year, so disappointing snubs happen every year, but I can name a lot of films off the top of my head that would've been more interesting nominees than Okko's Inn. Their was a Latvian film called Away that was made by only one person; that got nominated in music, but nowhere else. Marona's Fantastic Tale had a good art style and could've made for an interesting nominee. Another Day of Life was a rotoscoped glimpse at an almost forgotten war. The Last Fiction is Iran's first animated feature--correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure Okko's Inn has merit--like I said, I have yet to actually see it--but next to BuñuelLost My BodyPromare, and Weathering with You, the film strikes me as the least interesting choice. It feels like any foreign animation left out of that category loses a harsh amount of awards synergy that's almost impossibe to regain.

As for the "regular" Best Feature Annie category, Missing Link's resurgence (tying with Frozen 2 and whatnot) really puts the nail in the coffin for Abominable and Spies in Disguise, which could have been spoilers had they been nominated here. Klaus gains awards momentum while the three big sequels continue to stand in the way of original content.

I'm rooting for the guy from Abominable to win the Voice Actor category. 

Edited by SLAM!