SLAM!

Best Animated Feature 2019

8 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Character models. If you look at the Pokemon games/show and examine how the character models have changed over time, you'll see that they've been adapted to a sort of look that has set itself apart from the anime medium itself; therefore, Pokemon now feels like something much more universal than just Japan. And the character models are much more unique and defined in WwY than in other anime films.

I uh, really don't think that's a factor, and I don't understand the Pokemon parallel at all.

I just think there might be a perception that Shinkai was spurned with Your Name, which might lead to a reaction in favor of Weathering With You.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I uh, really don' think that's a factor, and I don't understand the Pokemon parallel at all.

I just think there might be a perception that Shinkai was spurned with Your Name, which might lead to a reaction in favor of Weathering With You.

I hope so too. Your Name was definitely snubbed. I'm sure a lot of voters saw the success of the April 2017 domestic run that the movie had, and they might've been thinking of nominating it, and were sad to learn that they missed their chance. The portion of voters who are actually a part of the branch definitely care about the snub and may take this chance to make up for it, I think.

Gkids knows that the ability to slap "Oscar-nominated" on the label is going to be vital for the film's success going forward, so there's not going to let this opportunity pass them by too easily.

The How To Train Your Dragon series has been so overlooked in many ways and came to bit of a stutter at the end box office wise. It would be nice if How To Train Your Dragon 3 could pull a surprise Oscar win to cap the franchise off. 

But it will have been out for 12 months by voting time and will lose to Toy Story 4 regardless, the same as the first How to Train Your Dragon lost to Toy Story 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

The How To Train Your Dragon series has been so overlooked in many ways and came to bit of a stutter at the end box office wise. It would be nice if How To Train Your Dragon 3 could pull a surprise Oscar win to cap the franchise off. 

But it will have been out for 12 months by voting time and will lose to Toy Story 4 regardless, the same as the first How to Train Your Dragon lost to Toy Story 3.

I still think How to Train Your Dragon 2 deserved the Oscar over Big Hero 6. I also would've gladly accepted a win by The Tale of Princess Kaguya over Big Hero 6, too.

I think Weathering With You really might get a nomination in this category. The people in charge of the Japanese entry to the academy already want it to get nominated for Best International Film. And it has a US distributor that gets a lot of Oscar nominations.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Personally, I think it would be really cool if Abominable got the box office success necessary to allow for a nomination here. The film is pretty well reviewed and the quality of the animation is excellent. I know that the story itself looks to be stale in parts, but I don't believe that a cliche story always needs to be seen as a detriment.

If Abominable does manage to be nominated, then I would suggest that the nomination is on par with The Croods. Both films do not have the best / most original execution, but the reason why they deserve the nomination lies in the artistry of its technical aspects. The Croods had a lot of very interesting directorial ideas that I really appreciated, and Abominable seems to have that as well.

I think the biggest thing standing in Abominable's way is How to Train Your Dragon 3. The Academy seems like they're more than willing to nominate multiple WDAS/Pixar films in the same year but not too willing to nominate multiple Dreamworks films in the same year. I could see a scenario where both Dreamworks films split the vote between each other and miss the nomination field completely with how competitive and interesting the indie/foreign field seems to be (I Lost My BodyWeathering With You). That'd be nightmarish for HtTYD fans including myself, but I could see it happening. 

It's still September, and Abominable has yet to release in theaters. We'll see what its box office amounts to soon enough. We'll also see what Frozen 2 and Spies in Disguise will amount to. In my opinion, this year boasts a very interesting race on both the domestic studio and indie/foreign front.

Edited by SLAM!

On 9/14/2019 at 1:31 PM, SLAM! said:

Personally, I think it would be really cool if Abominable got the box office success necessary to allow for a nomination here. The film is pretty well reviewed and the quality of the animation is excellent. I know that the story itself looks to be stale in parts, but I don't believe that a cliche story always needs to be seen as a detriment.

Eh

TOMATOMETER 86%

Average Rating: 6.67/10

Total Count: 14

Fresh: 12

Rotten: 2

TOP CRITICS:  86%

Average Rating: 6.5/10

Total Count: 7

Fresh: 6

Rotten: 1

• Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 7:15 AM, CoolioD1 said:

1. Toy Story 4

2. Frozen 2

3. How To Train Your Dragon 3

4. Weathering With You

5. Missing Link

Weathering With You is getting a nomination because Shinkai is "due" like Leonardo DiCaprio and Al Pacino were "due".

Edited by cannastop

20 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

is he though?

I don't know if 'due' is really the right word, but it does feel like 90% of Weathering with You's awards momentum right now comes basically down to 'being from the same guy who did Your Name'.

Which, to be fair, might also very well be enough to push it into the 'Token Independent/Foreign Animation Nom', seeing how that usually tends to go to whichever film manages to get even the slightest hint of actual awards momentum. 

Either way, I'm seeing it in 2/3 weeks so hopefully it lives up to the hype. 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2019/10/oscars-animated-feature-race-submissions-list-1202761640/

Abominable
The Addams Family
The Angry Birds Movie 2
Another Day of Life
Away
Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles
Children of the Sea
Dilili in Paris
Frozen II
Funan
Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’ – Tales of Savagery
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
The Last Fiction
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Marona’s Fantastic Tale
Missing Link
Ne Zha
Okko’s Inn
Pachamama
Promare
Rezo
The Secret Life of Pets 2
Spies in Disguise
The Swallows of Kabul
This Magnificent Cake!
The Tower
Toy Story 4
Upin & Ipin: The Lone Gibbon Kris
Weathering with You
White Snake

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/oscars-animated-feature-race-submissions-list-1202761640/

Abominable
The Addams Family
The Angry Birds Movie 2
Another Day of Life
Away
Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles
Children of the Sea
Dilili in Paris
Frozen II
Funan
Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’ – Tales of Savagery
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
The Last Fiction
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
Marona’s Fantastic Tale
Missing Link
Ne Zha
Okko’s Inn
Pachamama
Promare
Rezo
The Secret Life of Pets 2
Spies in Disguise
The Swallows of Kabul
This Magnificent Cake!
The Tower
Toy Story 4
Upin & Ipin: The Lone Gibbon Kris
Weathering with You
White Snake

This has to be the biggest submission list I've ever seen for this category. There's so many interesting choices here that it genuinely saddens me to have three slots practically reserved for sequels.

But two things are certain: based on their absence, Masaaski Yuasa's Riding With You will probably run in 2020, and the Italian one about the bears in Sicily will probably run in 2020, too. Bombay Rose will probably run in 2020 as well. No shame in that; if they need more time in the oven, so be it.

Edited by SLAM!