movies!movies!

Countdown | October 25, 2019 | STX

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/you-elizabeth-lail-countdown-1203164279/

“You” star Elizabeth Lail will lead STX Films’ upcoming horror pic “Countdown.”

The movie follows a young nurse who downloads an app that claims to predict exactly when a person is going to die. When it tells her she only has three days to live, she must find a way to save her life before time runs out, all while a mysterious figure haunts her.

“Elizabeth Lail is an exciting young actress whose breakout performance in the wildly popular psychological thriller ‘You’ was a breath of fresh air,” STXfilms chairman Adam Fogelson said. “‘Countdown’ is a wholly original, scary, and fun script, and we’re thrilled to have found the perfect lead to bring this story to life for audiences around the world.”

The script was written by Justin Dec, who will also serve as the film’s director. Sean Anders, John Morris, John Rickard, and Zack Schiller are producing, with STXfilms’ Drew Simon and Catherine Hagedorn overseeing the production on behalf of the studio.

STX International is handling international distribution, and distributing directly in the U.K. and Ireland.

Edited by movies!movies!

I actually got the trailer in front of IT: Chapter Two, and it looked pretty bad. Probably the funniest thing was the beginning of the trailer showcasing a bunch of random apps and their made-up version of Tinder, because they didn't have the rights, was called "Swipe Right." I rolled my eyes when that popped up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JB33 said:

What are you thinkin' @SLAM!? After the runaway success of Hustlers do you think STX can keep the ball rolling with this?

Well, the last traditional horror film released with wide distribution was 47 Meters Down: Uncaged, and that came out more than two months ago. So it makes sense that horror fans would be itching to see any new horror film--though why they wouldn't simply wait for Doctor Sleep or The Lighthouse is beyond me.

But I've frequently seen advertisements for this on YouTube where they've recorded a theater full of people reacting to the jumpscares in the movie. This is a trick used before in films like the Evil Dead 2013 remake. It's an effective tool even if the film doesn't fully deserve that type of marketing.

We'll have to see. I think it'll be a minor success. Probably gross $30M-$40M total.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 6:10 AM, SLAM! said:

Well, the last traditional horror film released with wide distribution was 47 Meters Down: Uncaged, and that came out more than two months ago. So it makes sense that horror fans would be itching to see any new horror film--though why they wouldn't simply wait for Doctor Sleep or The Lighthouse is beyond me.

But I've frequently seen advertisements for this on YouTube where they've recorded a theater full of people reacting to the jumpscares in the movie. This is a trick used before in films like the Evil Dead 2013 remake. It's an effective tool even if the film doesn't fully deserve that type of marketing.

We'll have to see. I think it'll be a minor success. Probably gross $30M-$40M total.

That would be a minor success, given I don't see this bringing in more than $10M this weekend. That's just me though. We'll see if tracking says any different

28% on Rotten Tomatoes with 18 reviews. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/countdown_2019

The Countdown app icon looks suspiciously like the Dodge Ram logo...

I don’t think I've ever seen a Screen Junkies/Fandom Entertainment review less than four minutes long. Dan was not here for it!

LOL, at least a minute of this is an ad and Jeremy encouraging people to talk about Joker some more. 

Countdown seems like you could have some fun with it in the right mood, but it's not as dumb as something like The Bye Bye Man.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2019 at 10:58 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

28% on Rotten Tomatoes with 18 reviews. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/countdown_2019

The Countdown app icon looks suspiciously like the Dodge Ram logo...

I don’t think I've ever seen a Screen Junkies/Fandom Entertainment review less than four minutes long. Dan was not here for it!

LOL, at least a minute of this is an ad and Jeremy encouraging people to talk about Joker some more. 

Countdown seems like you could have some fun with it in the right mood, but it's not as dumb as something like The Bye Bye Man.

Haha! Brutal. 

Speaking of Bye Bye Man, at least that one had an unexpectedly decent OW. This, however, seems DOA.

37 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Haha! Brutal. 

Speaking of Bye Bye Man, at least that one had an unexpectedly decent OW. This, however, seems DOA.

Sonce the trailer, I've thought Countdown looked like more of a January release. I think TBBM also released on a Friday the 13th, that usually helps a horror movie out.

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Sonce the trailer, I've thought Countdown looked like more of a January release. I think TBBM also released on a Friday the 13th, that usually helps a horror movie out.

Right. Forgot about that.

• Like 1

Is the movie gonna scare you? No. But the producers have a talent for memorable supporting characters that steal the show 😂.

I would suggest seeing this for the cellphone shop clerk (😂), priest, and doctor 😂. Reminds me of the first Happy Death Day, in that it was more memorable for the comedy than the actual horror.

Edited by OdinSon2k14

24 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Is the movie gonna scare you? No. But the producers have a talent for memorable supporting characters that steal the show 😂.

I would suggest seeing this for the cellphone shop clerk (😂), priest, and doctor 😂. Reminds me of the first Happy Death Day, in that it was more memorable for the comedy than the actual horror.

It's weird how much this sells me. It's like, the movie looks so bad as a "horror" that I'll take any other element that shines haha.