Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

Rachel Zegler is definitely ramping up the interest for this. Smart dress choices, smart responses about the franchise. 

This can be a strong case for SAG in how actors matters for promotion if it ended up opening well above prior expectations and the strike didn’t ended by then.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric Presley said:

I kinda get where Scott's coming from? Hunger Games is kind of a weird franchise where it's super depressing and hits too close to home, but is also too goofy as a concept to really take it seriously. So like it's in a no man's land of appeal and makes it hard to come back in a post-Trump world. It's like how 24 only ever worked during the Bush years and nowhere else. I have doubts this wrestling is as strong as Mendolsohn says, but I do think this is a franchise that really needs to update itself if it wants to be relevant, and I am curious after this reaction.

And yeah, most of the reactions indicate that, at the very least, Viola and Peter do some great ham and that Rachel supremacy will soon be upon us. That's more than enough for me.

I've always liked the premise of the franchise although I want to see Suzanne Collins write about the origins of Panem and the war that is mentioned in the book much like how The new Planet of the Apes films explored the origins of how the Apes took over Earth. 

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I've always liked the premise of the franchise although I want to see Suzanne Collins write about the origins of Panem and the war that is mentioned in the book much like how The new Planet of the Apes films explored the origins of how the Apes took over Earth. 

Suzanne did a much better prequel story about the main villian to her trilogy than Lucas did with Star Wars that's for sure. If Songbirds film is a hit, I'm sure there will be intense pressure to do a sequels which can be made into films with JLaw and Josh.

Edited by Mojoguy

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Suzanne did a much better prequel story about the main villian to her trilogy than Lucas did with Star Wars that's for sure. If Songbirds film is a hit, I'm sure there will be intense pressure to do a sequels which can be made into filns with Jlaw and Josh.

How can Jennifer Lawrence do a new HG film? There is no story left to tell for Katniss. 

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Hey, a new threats could emerge.. money is a strong motivator to more stories. lol

Idk, she easily could have made money doing books/movies about Haymitch’s games or finnick’s games, but she’s said she would only write another book if she has a strong thematic idea, not a money grab that doesn’t add to the themes of her worldbuilding. She’s not the type to churn out cheap books tbh

Edited by Blue35
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue35 said:

Idk, she easily could have made money doing books/movies about Haymitch’s games or finnick’s games, but she’s said she would only write another book if she has a strong thematic idea. She’s not the type to churn out cheap books tbh

Prequel about Snow wasn't something people were really expecting after she finished her trilogy. I'm sure Lionsgate is paying her well to adapt the movie. I'm sure she is keeping her options open.

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Prequel about Snow wasn't something people were really expecting after she finished her trilogy. I'm sure Lionsgate is paying her well to adapt the movie. I'm sure she is keeping her options open.

She didn't write the prequel because there was demand for it. She wrote it, because she had ideas and themes she wanted to explore and wanted to do that rough the hunger games series. If she has another great idea I'm sure we will see another movie.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

She didn't write the prequel because there was demand for it. She wrote it, because she had ideas and themes she wanted to explore and wanted to do that rough the hunger games series. If she has another great idea I'm sure we will see another movie.

isn’t this movie telling the origins story of the games? So it makes sense she wrote a book about it. 

Jennifer Lawrence did say during the press tour for No Hard Feelings that she's open to the idea of returning to Katniss but the team behind the movies shot that idea down a couple of days ago.

“Honestly, as much as I love Katniss, I think her story is complete,” Jacobson added. “And I think that Suzanne feels that her story is complete. But if that changes, and Suzanne has something she wants to say, and it involves Katniss, then I would be thrilled. But really any chance to be back in this world, and lead with Francis and Suzanne, I would take regardless of who it was about.”

Jennifer Lawrence's Katniss Return: Hunger Games Team Says Not Likely (variety.com)

Collins probably has a really fancy deal in place that includes a clause that they can only adapt material she writes, it appears.

10 minutes ago, babz06 said:

isn’t this movie telling the origins story of the games? So it makes sense she wrote a book about it. 

It's about the Origin of Sheeve Palpatine Coriolanus Snow:

Premise[edit]

"Years before he would become the tyrannical President of Panem, eighteen-year-old Coriolanus Snow is the last hope for his fading lineage, a once-proud family that has fallen from grace in a post-war Capitol. With the 10th annual Hunger Games fast approaching, the young Snow is alarmed when he is assigned to mentor Lucy Gray Baird, the female tribute from impoverished District 12. But, after Lucy Gray commands all of Panem’s attention by defiantly singing during the reaping ceremony, Snow thinks he might be able to turn the odds in their favor. Uniting their instincts for showmanship and newfound political savvy, Snow and Lucy Gray’s race against time to survive will ultimately reveal who is a songbird, and who is a snake."

Please for the love of God, no sequels where they bring back Katniss. TFA really melted people’s brains if they just expect every franchise now to do some nostalgia bait sequel. It’s ok for a story to just end.

On that note, I’m very relieved that this movie looks like it’s going to be a one and done, instead of being a two parter or the beginning of a new trilogy. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Please for the love of God, no sequels where they bring back Katniss. TFA really melted people’s brains if they just expect every franchise now to do some nostalgia bait sequel. It’s ok for a story to just end.

On that note, I’m very relieved that this movie looks like it’s going to be a one and done, instead of being a two parter or the beginning of a new trilogy. 

Depends on how well written it is.

Star Trek Picard season 3 just came out this year to critical acclaim and love from Trek fans, by reuniting the main TNG cast and bringing their endings to a worthy conclusion after their last movie Star Trek Nemesis was a massive failure.

It helps they made the return legacy characters still very competent and do cool stuff like saving the day. Just because Disney isn't capable of telling these kind of stories, doesn't mean other people can't. 

Edited by Mojoguy

I could see Suzanne writing another prequel (although Ballad is a one-and-done story, but there are so many different prequel options tbh), but I don’t see her ever writing a sequel to the original series tbh.

Edited by Blue35