Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

The so-so reviews may have depressed the opening for this.  But I’m really curious to see if this opens above The Marvels. 

The cast is appearing on GMA ,Watch What Happens Live, Kelly Clarkson Show, Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers this week. 
Also Olivia Rodrigo is dropping the music video for Can’t Catch Me Now tonight. 

Edited by babz06

With Marvels flopping, there is a blockbuster vacuum in November right now. THG should be able to take advantage of the weak competition, especially with it getting all of Marvels' PLF screens.

I'm actually surprised Disney wasn't able to negotiate a longer IMAX run for Marvels. Would have been funny if IMAX had been stuck with Marvels for 3 weeks.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, babz06 said:

The so-so reviews may have depressed the opening for this.  But I’m really curious to see if this opens above The Marvels. 

The cast is appearing on GMA ,Watch What Happens Live, Kelly Clarkson Show, Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers this week. 
Also Olivia Rodrigo is dropping the music video for Can’t Catch Me Now tonight. 

Opening above the Marvels is not a high bar to cross.

I am not just seeing the kind of buzz this should really have.

I suspect it will do OK, but not anywhere near the original films.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Have no idea when I've got time to watch it and see where I fall on it, but it's been wild to see the discrepancy in how much people like it and the actual RT percentage (which is now rotten).

That RT is very suprising to me.

But I also think it's a "funny" coincidence that there are like 4 movies that are out/ about to be out that are like right around 60% on RT. (this, The Marvels, Troll 3 and Napoleon)

8 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

But I also think it's a "funny" coincidence that there are like 4 movies that are out/ about to be out that are like right around 60% on RT. (this, The Marvels, Troll 3 and Napoleon)

Even funnier that Thanksgiving, which was looking like another crappy horror movie, will end up with the best reviews and a RT score around 90%!

Edited by Mojoguy

13 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

Only a week ago I heard how this was supposedly going to be the highest-rated Hunger Games movie. Was this another The Flash-style psyops from the studio?

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Even funnier that Thanksgiving, which was looking like another crappy horror movie, will end up with the best reviews and a RT score around 90%!

Only time Eli Roth has ever come out on top, this month is utter madness.

1 hour ago, DInky said:

Only a week ago I heard how this was supposedly going to be the highest-rated Hunger Games movie. Was this another The Flash-style psyops from the studio?

I am seeing the movie tomorrow, but from what I have seen it seems like a very good and faithful adaption of the book. And the ones that love it, love it*3. But you have to get on board with this story and not everyone will(just like with the book)

The reviews seem genuinely divisive (as opposed to something like the marvels where the reviews are generally meh).

A lot of the positive reviews say it’s the best (or 2nd best) movie in the series, while a lot of the negative reviews have issues with the villain protagonist and how dark the story is.

The book was divisive in a similar way, and the movies have been very faithful so far.

Im curious to see the audience reviews. It has a 3.7 on letterboxd so far, which is tied with catching fire for the highest of the series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue35 said:

The reviews seem genuinely divisive (as opposed to something like the marvels where the reviews are generally meh).

A lot of the positive reviews say it’s the best (or 2nd best) movie in the series, while a lot of the negative reviews have issues with the villain protagonist and how dark the story is.

The book was divisive in a similar way, and the movies have been very faithful so far.

Im curious to see the audience reviews. It has a 3.7 on letterboxd so far, which is tied with catching fire for the highest of the series.

“dark”. Oh so they’re mad it’s not full of quips and Marvel humor 

• Like 6

Just read 100 Million World Wide opening.

Not bad, but given at the height of the franchise a Hunger Games movie was pretty much guaranteed to come close to that in US Domestic opening alone....

I suspect it will make a decent profit, but not be a cash cow the way the original franchise was.

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

“dark”. Oh so they’re mad it’s not full of quips and Marvel humor 

Distopians stories are supposed to be dark. TI don't know how dark his movie is, but in terms of distopian darkness, betting it will not touch "1984" or "Handmaiden's Tale" when it comes to darkness.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Not bad, but given at the height of the franchise a Hunger Games movie was pretty much guaranteed to come close to that in US Domestic opening alone....

I am not sure what could be the closest comparable, maybe Fantastic Beast give some idea, it kept the budget closer, just 5 years after the last movie instead of 8, finished on an high note instead of a low note and a franchise that is more like Star Wars, put himself in stone forever, solid trailers and reviews.

Opening weekend of Fantastic Beast was 43% of the last Potter movie, which I would imagine Liongates would have jump on that deal. 43% of the last HG opening would be around 44m a la Marvels, going over that would go into the not bad category.

Liongates seem to have kept their habbit to going low risk and pre-sales international rights here, the 1-2-3 post theater windows already in place, etc...

The film is great. Great performances, smart script without being too didactic and wonderful production design.
Could shorten some songs in the film, some are unnecessarily long.

The script has some flaws, but nothing that compromises the overall picture. 

Honestly, I'm shocked to see the negative reviews.
Now that "critics" are no longer getting paid to give positive reviews, many of them are lazier when it comes to reviewing a film. Many negative reviews I saw are complaining about the film being "too dark". WTF?

Anyway... for me it's the second best film in the franchise, behind Catching Fire.

PS: I haven't read the book and you don't need it to understand the film, just pay attention to what's going on and don't go to the toilet during the movie.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1