Prometheus

7:20 PM Show

June 8, 2012

50% in a 148 seater

India

Trailers:

Ice Age 4

Movie:

Disaster of gigantic proportions. It is a rehash of Alien without the thrill, suspense or good direction. Ridley Scott has misfired in a very big way.

F

Posted Image

Prometheus - IMAX 3D

2:00PM Friday, June 8th

Jordan's Furniture IMAX, Reading

Theater Capacity: 500 (20% full; I was told the 9:30PM showtime is sold out)

Ticket Price: $11.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - the trailer looks beautiful in IMAX 3D; got some talking from the audience.

The Dark Knight Rises - we were told to take our 3D glasses off before the trailer (duh, Nolan hates 3D). The trailer and footage on the IMAX screen are unbelievable--there is honestly no comparison. TDKR needs to be watched in IMAX.

THE FILM:

Please consider these two groups.

Group A

Inception. Super 8. The Social Network. The Artist. WALL*E.

Group B

Across the Universe. Battle: Los Angeles. Where the Wild Things Are. Terminator Salvation.

Both of these groups highlight films whose trailers were among the best I'd ever seen. Between excellent music selection, striking visuals, and a little magic, these trailers gave me goosebumps and commanded my attention. They gave me a sense of urgency to check out the films on their opening days.The Prometheus trailer(s) had a very similar effect... I knew I HAD to see this movie because of how good this trailer looked.

The differences between Group A & Group B are that "A" actually lived up to their promise, whereas "B" left me walking out of the theater feeling more than a little let down, asking myself "How could I have been so wrong about a movie?" I say with great sadness that Prometheus belongs to Group B.

Prometheus looks astonishing in IMAX-3D; they definitely got that part right. The ensemble cast played their parts well, specifically Michael Fassbender; HOWEVER, I think he was extremely under-utilized in this film. If his android character, David, had shown as much emotional diversity in this film as he did in the "David's Birthday" promotional teaser (google it) then I think it would've pushed Prometheus a grade above. Additionally, I felt like the film presented far more questions than it does answers, which seems counter productive for a film whose plot point is to travel across the universe to have hard questions answered in the first place... if I write anymore I'm confident I will spoil the movie for others.

I want to stress that Prometheus isn't a "bad" movie... it's just not the movie I really hoped it would be. Maybe the intention was to plant the seeds for a new/quasi franchise of films in this universe. If that's Ridley Scott's goal, then fine. Call me greedy, but I just wanted this to be more, really badly. At least the film looks beautiful in IMAX 3D. It's no Avatar or Tron Legacy in the visual department, but it certainly has its moments. Like the countless critics that have shared the same advice, I recommend only watching Prometheus if you have never seen another Alien movie. If you have seen those films and plan on watching this, then please don't set your hopes as high as I did.

Experience - 15/30

Story/Writing - 7/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 12/15

Direction - 7/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 59/100, C

Edited by Andy Stitzer
  • Like 1

Prometheus12:30 PM100/250Trailers:SavagesAbrahma Lincoln: Vampire HunterDjango UnchainedThe PossessionThe WatchFlightI had high hopes for this film and it started well with the opening scene by the waterfall. Unfortunately the film became tedious shortly after the Prometheus landed on that moon. Things worsened quickly as the film was never shocking, thrilling or engaging. There was simply too much stupidity from characters who were supposed to be scientists, militarycorporate officers and robots. The ridiculous actions of David only compounded the film's problems. The action scenes fell flat and the overall mystery was yawn-inducing.Some of the effects were decent. Rapace was respectable but not memorable as the lead. Theron and Pearce were pretty much wasted. Elba and maybe Fassbender were the only highlights of the film. The film's premise, while promising, somehow got lost along the way and no real payoff occurred. Overall, I was very disappointed in this film.Grade: D

• Like 1

Posted Image

Prometheus - IMAX 3D

2:00PM Friday, June 8th

Jordan's Furniture IMAX, Reading

Theater Capacity: 500 (20% full; I was told the 9:30PM showtime is sold out)

Ticket Price: $11.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - the trailer looks beautiful in IMAX 3D; got some talking from the audience.

The Dark Knight Rises - we were told to take our 3D glasses off before the trailer (duh, Nolan hates 3D). The trailer and footage on the IMAX screen are unbelievable--there is honestly no comparison. TDKR needs to be watched in IMAX.

THE FILM:

Please consider these two groups.

Group A

Inception. Super 8. The Social Network. The Artist. WALL*E.

Group B

Across the Universe. Battle: Los Angeles. Where the Wild Things Are. Terminator Salvation.

Both of these groups highlight films whose trailers were among the best I'd ever seen. Between excellent music selection, striking visuals, and a little magic, these trailers gave me goosebumps and commanded my attention. They gave me a sense of urgency to check out the films on their opening days.The Prometheus trailer(s) had a very similar effect... I knew I HAD to see this movie because of how good this trailer looked.

The differences between Group A & Group B are that "A" actually lived up to their promise, whereas "B" left me walking out of the theater feeling more than a little let down, asking myself "How could I have been so wrong about a movie?" I say with great sadness that Prometheus belongs to Group B.

Prometheus looks astonishing in IMAX-3D; they definitely got that part right. The ensemble cast played their parts well, specifically Michael Fassbender; HOWEVER, I think he was extremely under-utilized in this film. If his android character, David, had shown as much emotional diversity in this film as he did in the "David's Birthday" promotional teaser (google it) then I think it would've pushed Prometheus a grade above. Additionally, I felt like the film presented far more questions than it does answers, which seems counter productive for a film whose plot point is to travel across the universe to have hard questions answered in the first place... if I write anymore I'm confident I will spoil the movie for others.

I want to stress that Prometheus isn't a "bad" movie... it's just not the movie I really hoped it would be. Maybe the intention was to plant the seeds for a new/quasi franchise of films in this universe. If that's Ridley Scott's goal, then fine. Call me greedy, but I just wanted this to be more, really badly. At least the film looks beautiful in IMAX 3D. It's no Avatar or Tron Legacy in the visual department, but it certainly has its moments. Like the countless critics that have shared the same advice, I recommend only watching Prometheus if you have never seen another Alien movie. If you have seen those films and plan on watching this, then please don't set your hopes as high as I did.

Experience - 15/30

Story/Writing - 7/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 12/15

Direction - 7/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 59/100, D

Your grading system is flawed. If Prometheus isn't a "bad" movie, then you should've given it at least a C-
  • Like 2

Your grading system is flawed. If Prometheus isn't a "bad" movie, then you should've given it at least a C-

I thought I corrected this. The movie is a "C" on 'my' grading scale, not a D.101+ = A+85-100 = A70-84 = B55-69 = C40-54 = D<40 = F

Prometheus

3:45PM

About 60% full. I don't think there was ANYONE under the age of 25.

Trailers:

The Watch: Probably the best of the trailers. Looks really funny, actually the funniest looking film this Summer. Tons of laughs.

Django: Looks good. Talking and some "Woos!"

Savages: (Forgot about this trailer!): Looks bleh, not sure what to say.

Frankenweenie: Actaully this was the best trailer! Yes very out of place, but still got some laughs.

Great Gasby: What the heck is this doing here and why is this in 3D? Looks meh to me outside of the costumes.

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter: Looks dumb, then again what are you expecting with a film called this? Laughs at the title.

Life of Pi: Odd teaser. At first people thought this was a short film (came after the theater intro). Not sure what to think about this.

Movie: Pretty good. Kind of slow moving at times. Though the acting was good. Was not sure if Fassbender was good or bad till the ending. I pretty much figured that Guy Pearce was Charlize Theron's dad. The story was okay, but I still liked it. The visuals were amazing. Hobbit has a contender. Audience did enjoy it. The 3D, was just there. Not the worse but not the best.

A-

Prometheus

Trailers:

The Watch: Probably the best of the trailers. Looks really funny, actually the funniest looking film this Summer. Tons of laughs.

Frankenweenie: Actaully this was the best trailer! Yes very out of place, but still got some laughs.

Great Gasby: What the heck is this doing here and why is this in 3D? Looks meh to me outside of the costumes.

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter: Looks dumb, then again what are you expecting with a film called this? Laughs at the title.

Life of Pi: Odd teaser. At first people thought this was a short film (came after the theater intro). Not sure what to think about this.

Movie: Pretty good. Kind of slow moving at times. Though the acting was good. Was not sure if Fassbender was good or bad till the ending. I pretty much figured that Guy Pearce was Charlize Theron's dad. The story was okay, but I still liked it. The visuals were amazing. Hobbit has a contender. Audience did enjoy it. The 3D, was just there. Not the worse but not the best.

A-

Prometheus

Trailers:

A-

Glad to see someone finally give it a great review on here

Prometheus

Trailers:

A-

It was announced recently that they'd be showing a scene/clip from Life of Pi in front of Prometheus, not a trailer.

“This film is special and different, and so we didn’t want to give people the same-old, same-old."

- Tom Rothman

Prometheus

Trailers:

A-

Sounds more like a C+ or a B-

Madagascar 3

7:50 PM, June 9, 2012

80% in a 353 seater

Trailers:

Missed them

Movie:

Excellent movie. Better than the first two parts. It is fast paced and completely entertaining. I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the movie was.

A

Edited by jb007

Prometheus in 3D9:00pm11.51$55-60% full. 100-person seater.Trailers:-The Amazing Spider-Man: Nice trailer. Many people thought that was a sequel rather than a reboot. Not many reactions except when they saw Andrew Garfeild as Spider-Man and when we saw the city through the eyes of the character. Only whispers.-Life of Pi: Not much of a reaction. People thought it was the beginning of Prometheus and they did not understand the concept. When the trailer ended and it was silent, I over-heard one guy saying ''Looks nice, I wanna see it''.The Movie:-I thought it was really cool. I wanted to see the movie because it looked intriguing and scary. My friends wanted to see it too because they thought it was a true horror movie, which was not the case. Yes, there were thrill but they didn't make people react that much in the theater. The one thing that made people react was how gross it could be, sometimes. I thought the cinematography was fantastic: the opening sequence was brilliant and when we saw the universe through different angles was amazing. I loved when we saw different shots of the universe because people were dead silent and it was really epic. It is kind of slow-paced though, which teens and young-adults sometimes get bored with. Me, I love every kind of movies, so it was not much of a problem.There is action even though it's not all action. The story is kind of predictable: what is that? OMG, it's alive! Get out of here! is the three acts I would kinda split the movie into.The acting is good, Fassbender was great and I loved how Theron was a real bitch in the beginning, but then we could see the flaws and the panic rising inside her. Directing was good. The visuals were the best in the movie. Every CGI thing was top-notch and the 3D was great. I don't remember things coming at my face My-Bloody-Valentine-3D-style but it was more of making the universe bigger, immersive experience. I really liked it. People were shocked at the end. Really Shocked.This movie is going to skew a lot of people in their high 30s and low-to-mid 40s. There were many people under the age of 18, like me. So it should have pretty decent legs. A-

Edited by Alex

Sunset Cinema 5This theater was awful it is basically a warehouse turned into a movie theater.PrometheusFriday 1:45 about 20 peopleTrailersThe Watch lots of of laughsDjango Unchained small chatter maybe like person talking after it.Resident Evil: Retribution silenceOne more I can't remember it.The movie was pretty good overall I enjoyed it. The visuals were great and same with the score. The acting was good but the problems are in the screenplay. I feel the movie would benefited if the cuts were in the movie.6.5/10

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia