Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

It's all relative. When you're going to see a borderline "arthouse movie" like Silver Linings Playbook, it's expected that the audience would have a warmer reaction for an arthouse trailer than a superhero action film. Had I gone to watch Skyfall in the auditorium next door, I'm sure Iron Man 3 would've had a positive, explosive reaction from the audience.

I personally enjoy all genres of movies, and I certainly watch more "arthouse" movies than the average movie-goer. But I think a glance at my crowd report history is indicative of the behaviors Bostonians have toward all types of movies. That's one of the reasons I enjoy writing crowd reports so much: it's like an ongoing social experiment on the range of human behavior to an artistic medium.

You dived deep into that :D

November 21st, 2012

Red Dawn

4:25pm show

30/144 seats (21% full)

Trailers:

Iron Man 3 - Positive reaction.

Playing for Keeps - No reaction.

Mama - Mixed reception. Some guy near me stated "wow that looks really freaky"

Broken City - No reaction.

Movie was pretty meh. I don't think it was as bad as critics seem to be slamming it; there were some enjoyable moments. But mostly it was just bland and boring. Like a teenage Expendables without the novelty of nostalgia. I saw it with my dad (we needed some bonding time this holiday) and he enjoyed it, and that is all that mattered for me so it wasn't a waste of a trip by any means. But man, seeing a skinny Josh Peck is just too weird.

ThanksgivingRise of the Guardians11 a.m. 10-12 viewers TrailersJack the Giant SlayerParental Guidance CroodsMonsters Inc. 3DDespicable Me 2 teaserSmurfs 2 teaserI saw ROTG with my wife and two kids (ages 2 and 7). They enjoyed it much more than I did. It was more directly aimed at a pretty young audience. I've grown very used to getting jokes aimed at adults in animated films, but that was not available today. I don't have any technical knowledge about the animation process. This did have a different look, but that was positive for me given the story's tediousness. The voice work was fine. Jude Law was a good bad guy and Captain Kirk played an angsty hero well. 6/10 for me. 8/10 for my seven-year-old daughter. Very little reaction from very little crowd

Skyfall

November 23, 10:35 AM, 65% full

Cinemark, Macedonia, OH

Trailers

Jack Reacher - Laughs at the end

Stand Up Guys - No reaction.

Admission - Never heard of this movie before, but some groans when the premise was announced.

Iron Man 3 - Some whispers as the trailer started, but no other reaction

Playing for Keeps - No reaction.

Django Unchained - Whispers throughout.

Good time, but alas, I wish I had seen Wreck-It Ralph again instead. Either way, the film was still good, and had a decent response from the crowd. No applauding at the end though, and people were getting up during the gunbarrel sequence. <_<

Did any employee come and tell you the issue?

i did mentioned it to the lady behind the booth selling the tickets but she was busy and told me there was a manager around and if i wanted to talk to him but i said no as i had to hurry to catch one of the last buses going back to the french side of my island but i think i might have to as something again went wrong watching BD2 tonight
  • Like 1

CARIBBEAN CINEMAS MEGAPLEX 7BREAKING DAWN PART 2 9.20pm(actually 10pm) 100% FULLwith a terribly raucus crowd of very young people , a few tag alongs who didnt want to be there but where dragged along ,i was sitting next to one :rolleyes: and his two friends who were clearly fans enough to explain him stuff as he said he hadnt seen part 1a few older people (oldest been 40ish) a good bit of guys.It was friday night afterall (movies are the go to place for that school set) but bless their little hearts they gave quite the atmosphere as the film started 25mn late if not counting the time usually alloted for trailers which we got none of, at first no one noticed the film wasnt starting , people busy talking , coming and going for popcorn drinks and sweets, people trying to find a seat but then afterwhile we started noticing lights weren't coming off that's when i checked the time and realize it was 5mn to 10pm , heard someone say it wasnt very professional not to tell us what was going on..someone even said "hey are we even going to see the film" which did nothing for my nerves , i've been waiting a week to see this grrr finally movie started no trailers already the title sequence which odly enough reminded me of showtime "the borgias"and man this crowd went wild :excited: at the action sequence near the end for its duration followed by an equally wild SAY WHAT? alot of chatter after that as for me i have to include myself , i've stayed away from spoilers for so long, but i did hear there was a twist of sort and ending was better than book that i bought into the scene even knowing better from books this was me when carlisle the cullen dad... :mouthdropped::wtf: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOand the more it went the more i went NOOOO with a few WTF...that's when i recovered my fan sanity and knowledge came back to me as to how this actually endsthe rest of my review alas are for fellow "twihards" on a fan site, i know how you guys roll here concerning this sagamy rating of the film : :wub: j'adore...

• Like 1

CARIBBEAN CINEMAS MEGAPLEX 7BREAKING DAWN PART 2 9.20pm(actually 10pm) 100% FULLwith a terribly raucus crowd of very young people , a few tag alongs who didnt want to be there but where dragged along ,i was sitting next to one :rolleyes: and his two friends who were clearly fans enough to explain him stuff as he said he hadnt seen part 1a few older people (oldest been 40ish) a good bit of guys.It was friday night afterall (movies are the go to place for that school set) but bless their little hearts they gave quite the atmosphere as the film started 25mn late if not counting the time usually alloted for trailers which we got none of, at first no one noticed the film wasnt starting , people busy talking , coming and going for popcorn drinks and sweets, people trying to find a seat but then afterwhile we started noticing lights weren't coming off that's when i checked the time and realize it was 5mn to 10pm , heard someone say it wasnt very professional not to tell us what was going on..someone even said "hey are we even going to see the film" which did nothing for my nerves , i've been waiting a week to see this grrr finally movie started no trailers already the title sequence which odly enough reminded me of showtime "the borgias"and man this crowd went wild :excited: at the action sequence near the end for its duration followed by an equally wild SAY WHAT? alot of chatter after thatas for me i have to include myself , i've stayed away from spoilers for so long, but i did hear there was a twist of sort and ending was better than book that i bought into the scene even knowing better from books this was me when carlisle the cullen dad... :mouthdropped::wtf: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOand the more it went the more i went NOOOO with a few WTF...that's when i recovered my fan sanity and knowledge came back to me as to how this actually endsthe rest of my review alas are for fellow "twihards" on a fan site, i know how you guys roll here concerning this sagamy rating of the film : :wub: j'adore...

Well that was an interesting read.
  • Like 1

Skyfall :D

Brisbane, Australia.

100% fully packed.

From a look around, I'd say about about 75% of the people in there were over 30. Of that, about 80% were men.

Trailers:

Zero Dark Thirty: I think a minority of the crowd thought the film looked a bit corny as a select few were giggling, but the trailer mostly provoked some talking and "that looks good" reactions.

Les Miserables: The crowd seemed interested, and it provoked whispers as far as 20 seconds in to the next trailer shown.

Jack Reacher: The crowd also seemed to like this one, and the little bit towards the start of the trailer in which Tom blends in with the crowd provoked quite a few laughs. Heard some whispers, and one guy I overheard saying "it's funny how he's a good actor in movies then is a prick in real life." :rofl:

Flight: Great reaction, lots of talking and one guy shouted "yeah Denzel!!!"

As for Skyfall, the crowd thoroughly enjoyed it. People were laughing out loud in the funny bits, and some people were even gasping in relief in some edge-of-seat bits. When the credits started rolling, there was a standing ovation from about 70% of the people, which is rare for a movie at this cinema. (I regularly go here, only seen that happen twice now)

Edited by blenderbus

SKYFALL- AMC LIEMAXFriday, 7 PM400 Seats- SOLD OUTTrailersAnother Day to Die Hard- lol; looks entertainingZero Dark Thirty- I can't wait for this. Glad the trailer is getting big exposure in front of Bond.The Hobbit- MehDjango Unchained- I'm really not feeling it based on the trailers but since it's QT it has my faithThe Last Stand- lol ArnoldHansel and Gretal- Disappointed the way this turned outA few others I can't remember. None of the trailers got any kind of noticable reaction.Movie-Good, really enjoyed it, crowd seemed into it as well. They were eating up everything Javier Bardem was saying. Dench and Craig were both excellent. Although I do see what some are saying with TDK comparisons. It seems every action franchise needs to have that element now.

Edited by Silver Linings aDIM
  • Like 1

Wreck-It Ralph

November 24, 4:10 PM, 80% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - No big reactions this time around except for one trailer; noted.

The Smurfs 2

Despicable Me 2 - Lots of laughs.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Monsters Inc. 3D

First time was a better crowd, but I liked the movie more this time. Lots of laughs throughout the movie, and a few other people stuck through the credits. As for me, the rewatch has caused Avengers to lose its slot as my top movie of the year.

Tomorrow, I will see two movies between three choices: Wreck-it Ralph, Pitch Perfect and End of Watch.Which two do you guys recommend me?

Ditto for Wreck-It Ralph. Best animated film since Toy Story 3 IMO.End of Watch is really good, I don't know if you're a fan of the "found-footage" esque filming or not, but just know that is how it is presented. It's really exciting though and actually has a few really naturally funny moments. Pitch Perfect was okay, but then again I have never been a big fan of the Glee-ish stuff. Anna Kendrick (also in End of Watch) and Rebel Wilson are great though.
  • Like 1

ok saw breaking dawn part 2 againsame trailers as for "flight": looper/jack reacher/red dawn much better viewing experience, about 40% full for a 4.20pm showing older crowd as in no teeny boppers or random viewerseveryone was very respectful , no irritating remarks , pretty quiet except for a few laughs when scene called for it and wouldnt you know same reaction during fight scene, vocal appreciation and clapping followed by surprise by visionand lots of repeat viewers as hardly anyone left before lights came on and end credits first song "a thousand years" was over when they show all the cast involved from first film to last it was very poignant momentas a fan of harry potter also i know even if some don't like twilight saga,they must have had same feelings at realization its the end of harry potter , the ending of a book and film saga that resonated with you on a personal level!

• Like 1

Posted Image

Hitchcock

4:15PM Monday, November 26th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 200 (5% full)

Ticket Price: $12.00

Concessions: N/A

TRAILERS:

Life of Pi - meh, no reaction

The Great Gatsby - :-) It's been a while since I've seen this trailer, and so refreshing to watch it again. I'm really looking forward to this; some chatting from the audience, too.

Hyde Park on Hudson - some talking

Quartet - the Dustin Hoffman-directed movie; looks kind of weird. No reaction.

Not Fade Away - looks like a good "making the band" movie set in the 60's, some talking.

Zero Dark Thirty - silence

Parental Guidance - LOL, some talking and good reaction

Stoker - I've notice people giggle at the name of the movie, but it's a cool trailer.

THE FILM:

Alfred Hitchcock was unquestionably a filmmaking genius whose legacy continues to inspire and entertain people around the world. It was only a matter of time before a biopic of sorts would be made to further immortalize the legend for all generations. While Hitchcock is a film that's both entertaining and successful at educating audiences about the legendary filmmaker, I think the film falls short of doing justice to the larger-than-life man Alfred Hitchcock really was. (*and no, that's not a jab at his portly figure)

Anthony Hopkins mostly looks the part of Alfred Hitchcock in this film, but I couldn't shake the feeling that there might've been someone who could play him better (... Phillip Seymour Hoffman, maybe?). Anyway, he definitely acts the part well. Honestly, it's difficult to give Hopkins the credit he probably deserves after watching Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln recently. Helen Mirren is fantastic; there's even a gratuitous scene thrown in the movie of her in the swimming pool for seemingly no other reason except to show how hot she is at 67 years old. Story-wise, I'm very pleased the film centers mainly on the making of Psycho. I had previously done research on the making of that film and believe it does justice to the telling of how that film got made.

If you haven't already seen Psycho, then DO NOT watch Hitchcock! For one, Psycho is the much better movie, but secondly Hitchcock inadvertently spoils much of that film as well. In a crowd this small, it was impossible to get a read on what the audience thought of the film. I would recommend it to Hitchcock fans looking for some more insight on the man. Personally, I think if the movie was directed by somebody in the movie industry today as ambitious as Hitchcock himself (COUGH---NOLAN---COUGH), Hitchcock would've been a better movie.

Experience - 18/30

Story/Writing - 15/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 13/15; the set designs and effects definitely fit the time period

Directing - 4/10

Music - 7/10

THE VERDICT: 67/100, C

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2
  • Like 1