TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

23 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lifting the embargo two weeks early is a good sign, correct?

Yes 

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Just social media. Actual reviews are still the usual Tuesday before. 

It's enough, meh reactions is all it needs to bring down the whole hype, we've seen this with Eternals and to a lesser extent, DS2. 

If they're lifting this early after that Eternals mess, they must be expecting to help the buzz, so it needs to be great ones.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes 

It's enough, meh reactions is all it needs to bring down the whole hype, we've seen this with Eternals and to a lesser extent, DS2. 

If they're lifting this early after that Eternals mess, they must be expecting to help the buzz, so it needs to be great ones.

did they release social media reactions around the same time for those movies though? if so then they clearly don’t have much of a solid idea how the reactions will be lol. 

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

did they release social media reactions around the same time for those movies though? if so then they clearly don’t have much of a solid idea how the reactions will be lol. 

Not for DS2 but for Eternals not only reactions but full reviews were released well in advance. It really doesn't mean too much. 

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Not for DS2 and NWH. But most of MCU movies have reactions 10-15 days before tbf, but they're all get pretty great reception so that's why i'm sure they expect the same for Thor.

For Eternals they also did, but honestly i doubt they was expecting that reception, the movie even screened in Rome festival.

I'm 100% sure they screened in a festival and dropped reactions and reviews early expecting good buzz and well, for the first time they was so wrong lol 

But studios nearly always know how the reception will turn out, they tested these things too much, that's why bad movies had super late embargos all the time.

Edited by ThomasNicole

56 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not for DS2 and NWH. But most of MCU movies have reactions 10-15 days before tbf, but they're all get pretty great reception so that's why i'm sure they expect the same for Thor.

For Eternals they also did, but honestly i doubt they was expecting that reception, the movie even screened in Rome festival.

I'm 100% sure they screened in a festival and dropped reactions and reviews early expecting good buzz and well, for the first time they was so wrong lol 

But studios nearly always know how the reception will turn out, they tested these things too much, that's why bad movies had super late embargos all the time.

that was either such a bizarre miscalculation or it was kind of an ego pleasing move for chloe zhao like she had literally just won Best Picture/Director for the parent studio and you maybe dont wanna make any moves that imply you have no confidence in it. like im sure they wanted her to keep making her small films with searchlight. 

although maybe that concept applies to Waititi too since he also won an Oscar with searchlight and they pretty desperately want him to make the SW comeback movie. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So Top Gun Maverick had early reviews not just tweet reactions?

It screened at cinemacon very far in advance of its release date and I believe that only allowed tweet reactions. Then it premiered at Cannes and full reviews came because once it's at Cannes, you can't embargo reviews anymore. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Predictions before I hit the bed:

100 positive tweets

1 negative tweet

BOT: reception is mixed! The sky is falling! 100M OW off table! 

Love me some mixed jokes. :lol:

What do you think we are some kind of morons? It will be mixed reception if there are 3 negative tweets vs 100 positive.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What do you think we are some kind of morons? It will be mixed reception if there are 3 negative tweets vs 100 positive.

Certainly not morons. Just very passionate meltdowners and overreactors. ;)

Edited by Valonqar

It'll probably get the typical Marvel fanboy tweets, we'll see once the press screenings start how actual critics feel. At least without social media embargo we'll basically know right away when they see it (i'm assuming throughout this week and next). 

13 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

It'll probably get the typical Marvel fanboy tweets, we'll see once the press screenings start how actual critics feel. At least without social media embargo we'll basically know right away when they see it (i'm assuming throughout this week and next). 

They already saw it, Disney usually does this.

There was screenings earlier today for critics who won't go to the premiere, and now the premiere event.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

The ads have been moderately entertaining so I predict the reactions will be "best MCU film in history".

I don't think solo movies get that kind of reaction? Maybe BP but not much else. Like literally the team ups are the only ones that get this kind of reaction.