Tower

BOT's top 100 black and white films the countdown is done

54 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Considering she never got the role introduced, never got anything from the director, him usually not even being there for her parts...

She was complete left out in the dust, never knew what was even expected, neither what kind of person the character is at the start of her story nor which changes the character will have to go through. Try to work under such conditions in a high quality way.

E.g. all what was sassy was based on her alone without any input.

Without that, the script for the character would have been literally horrible and IMHO the movie would not have worked, at least never reached the female audience too, and as such by far less successful.

I think it's evident from all the SW films Lucas directed that he is terrible with young actors.   Probably terrible with older actors as well but they're established enough they can direct themselves - and they fare much better to varying degrees..  It's not a coincidence that Alec Guiness gives the best performance by a million miles and that JEJ's voice acting is top notch.

Re Citizen Kane: Joseph Cotten, Agnes Moorhead, Paul Stewart, Everett Sloane, etc - are certainly not bad actors and don't give poor performances.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think it's evident from all the SW films Lucas directed that he is terrible with young actors.   Probably terrible with older actors as well but they're established enough they can direct themselves - and they fare much better to varying degrees..  It's not a coincidence that Alec Guiness gives the best performance by a million miles and that JEJ's voice acting is top notch.

I think so too, but with the males he seemed to have at least spoken sometimes.

My impression is, he was even worse with (young) actresses (I think she worded it like he didn't know what to do with her and the character, like she was the obligatory female and that was it), but he is in general the opposite of an actor director.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I would honestly like anyone, whether if you want member or five member or 10 members, to tell me what they liked about citizen Kane besides the revolutionary filming techniques. That was one of the most boring ridiculously horribly acted films I've seen in my lifetime. And the whole rosebud thing is just stupid. So please tell me what you liked about the film. I'm dying to know.

I like Citizen Kane because I think the story is really interesting and important. I think the way Orson Welles tells the story is really unique and cool. I think it's the kind of complete literary story that isn't always nailed down by the few films which dare to attempt it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think so too, but with the males he seemed to have at least spoken sometimes.

My impression is, he was even worse with (young) actresses (I think she worded it like he didn't know what to do with her and the character, like she was the obligatory female and that was it), but he is in general the opposite of an actor director.

If he was talking to or helping or in any way directing Hayden Christensen or Jake Lloyd it didn't show.  

Though the truly surprising thing is that he wrote and directed American Graffiti - filled with wonderful naturalistic dialogue and performances from young actors.  What happened George?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

If he was talking to or helping or in any way directing Hayden Christensen or Jake Lloyd it didn't show.  

Though the truly surprising thing is that he wrote and directed American Graffiti - filled with wonderful dialogue and performances from young actors.  What happened George?

Shows to only sometimes speak to a young actor is not being enough by far :wacko:

But yes, what happened with American Graffiti? :thinking:

Maybe an excellent assistant of... or e.g. a more involved producer (Francis Ford Coppola ...producer and Gary Kurtz ...co-producer) or there were more actors directly interacting, helping to feed each other or... a mix of reasons?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I like Citizen Kane because I think the story is really interesting and important. I think the way Orson Welles tells the story is really unique and cool. I think it's the kind of complete literary story that isn't always nailed down by the few films which dare to attempt it.

This is also why I'm a fan of the film. Even taking away its technical achievements, it's a really interesting and engaging story about the rise and fall of a media mogul, something that few films have successfully portrayed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Shows to only sometimes speak to a young actor is not being enough by far :wacko:

But yes, what happened with American Graffiti? :thinking:

Maybe an excellent assistant of... or e.g. a more involved producer (Francis Ford Coppola ...producer and Gary Kurtz ...co-producer) or there were more actors directly interacting, helping to feed each other or... a mix of reasons?

Maybe a combination of that but maybe also b/c he didn't have the creation of a Sci-Fi world and the VFX trappings to get wrapped up in or distracted by.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Maybe a combination of that but maybe also b/c he didn't have the creation of a Sci-Fi world and the VFX trappings to get wrapped up in or distracted by.  

Lucas was super ambitious and determined to be an auteur in those days.  I suspect it was just hunger.

He's such an interesting guy.  He's a bit like Charles Foster Kane if you think about it.  

ETA: Oh, and it didn't hurt that American Graffiti had Ron Howard.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

ETA: Oh, and it didn't hurt that American Graffiti had Ron Howard.

it had another director as actor as well: Charles Martin Smith, who did some movies and e.g. Buffy S01E01 (what I guess you did watch 😉 )

Richard Dreyfuss had some experience as well, I see quite some more experienced names on that list

• Like 2