Tower

BOT's top 100 black and white films the countdown is done

Submission are over and the countdown will begin shortly. 16 lists were submitted containing a total of 360 different films. 

Sorting went by first points, second number of different lists it was on and third by lower average position.

I'll post the full list of 360 once the countdown is over

Also if a mod is reading this then could you please replace this topic with the submission one that is currently stickied.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 9

The Wolf Man

The Wolf Man Poster

Number of lists: 4

Year: 1941

Director: George Waggner

Top 10: 0

Top 5: 0

First place votes: 0

Average position: 40.3

Starting our list with some horror, there were a few horror heavy lists and this managed to just make it by showing up on those. 31 points means that any list worth full points could get a film on this list by having it in the top 4 from that list alone, but there is only one such film on this list to do that.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 11

Good Night, And Good Luck

Good Night, and Good Luck. Poster

Number of lists: 5

Year: 2005

Director: George Clooney

Top 10: 1

Average position: 44.6

The Second entry on this list is far more modern and more Oscar friendly. It didn't win anything, but it did get nominated 6 times.

• Like 11

Ida

Ida Poster

Number of lists: 2

Year: 2013

Director: Pawel Pawlikowski

First place votes: 1

Average position: 23.5

An even more recent film, and the first foreign language. Slam could explain better than myself why this should be here since he put it first, and I have yet to see it (or any other of the bottom 6 films on this list).

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Tower said:

Ida

Ida Poster

Year: 2013

Director: Pawel Pawlikowski

First place votes: 1

Average position: 23.5

An even more recent film, and the first foreign language. Slam could explain better than myself why this should be here since he put it first, and I have yet to see it (or any other of the bottom 6 films on this list).

I decided to put this first over Rashomon and Citizen Kane--a decision I did not take lightly--for many reasons. The film is at once an homage to Bressonian film (with the time period, sparsity of mise-en-scene, and a non-actor in the lead role) and a new thing entirely. It also follows the Bressonian ideal by being a cinematic vessel of the director's theology--both directors were born and raised Catholic. For this reason, and the reason that the film is simply a very good film, I dedicated myself to giving it my full support. There is a ton of passion for filmmaking presented here, and it's a wonder how much the film manages to reap from its small budget. A very good film that I don't want to spoil for those who haven't seen it, available on Kanopy.

• Like 1

B&W films are not my favourite type of film but upon submitting my list, I realized how many films I really have enjoyed that were B&W.

Schindler;s List would have been my number one film, but that was excluded.  So my number one film is something from about 60 years ago that I just recently watched for  the first time.  And man oh man did it ever affect me.  So hopefully it's in the top ten.

Great job doing this Tower.

• Like 3

Los Olvidados (The Young And The damned)

Los Olvidados Poster

Year: 1950

Director: Luis Bunuel

Average position: 19

Another foreign language film, this time a much older one. The only film of Luis Bunuel to make it, with Viridiana making it to 248.

• Like 8

The Hustler

The Hustler Poster

Year: 1961

Director: Robert Rossen

Top 5 (2-5): 0

Top 10 (6-10): 0

Average position: 44

A sports drama about a pool player that got a sequel with Tom Cruise and directed by Scorcese that took 25 years to make, making even James Cameron seem expeditious by comparison.

• Like 12

Battleship Potemkin

Battleship Potemkin Poster

Year: 1925

Director: Sergei Eisenstein

Average position: 35.3

Going all the way back in time to the silent era we get this soviet film about the 1905 revolution. Originally conceived as a propaganda film, it is clearly still liked to this day.

• Like 11

I think any of us who've been to film school knows about the Odessa Steps sequence, which is shown as a masterclass in meticulously deliberate editing. Eisenstein was a true master even if his content was rather questionable.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 3

I'll be honest, I'm embarrassed that I kept Battleship Potemkin off my list.  I completely forgot to include it.  I would of had it in the 30's probably so maybe this placing is where it would have been no matter what.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Au Hasard Balthazar

I have  a visceral negative reaction just reading this title. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I think any of us who've been to film school knows about the Odessa Steps sequence, which is shown as a masterclass in meticulously deliberate editing. Eisenstein was a true master even if his content was rather questionable.

Eisenstein -  father of the montage

The Odessa Steps sequence has been parodied, ripped off and homage'd to death - probably most famously in The Untouchables (down to the baby carriage)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tower said:

The Hustler

The Hustler Poster

Year: 1961

Director: Robert Rossen

Average position: 44

A sports drama about a pool player that got a sequel with Tom Cruise and directed by Scorcese that took 25 years to make, making even James Cameron seem expeditious by comparison.

Paul Newman finally won his (long overdue) Best Actor Oscar for  The Color of Money though his Fast Eddie Felson in The Hustler is the richer performance in a far better film.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Dracula

Dracula Poster

Year: 1931

Director: Tod Browning

Top 10 (6-10): 1

Average position: 32.8

This list heads back for some more classic horror. Have not seen this yet, but seeing Ed Wood made want to get to it sometime.

• Like 10