Tower

BOT's top 100 black and white films the countdown is done

I was shocked by how little Duck Soup did for me. Just no connection really. It's telling that the scene I liked by far the best was the wordless mirror routine. I'll keep trying with the Marxes though, maybe I'll see the light yet. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I was shocked by how little Duck Soup did for me. Just no connection really. It's telling that the scene I liked by far the best was the wordless mirror routine. I'll keep trying with the Marxes though, maybe I'll see the light yet. 

I dunno, maybe it's an American thing? I hear humor can sometimes be lost in translation.

• Like 1

All About Eve

All About Eve Poster

Number of lists: 8

Year: 1950

Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

First place votes: 0

Top 5 (2-5): 2

Top 10 (6-10): 0

Average position: 22

After that, time for a really great classic, and a worthy entry at number 15. the film is a great critique of celebrity culture and the entertainment industry, and doing it through a whole collection of interesting characters.

• Like 11

Not sure what will be number 1.  But when we did the most recent Top 100 films of all time list 12 Angry Men ranked fifth.   I would be shocked if it went any lower than 3

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Also - 12 Angry Men (because they show it in school...), The Apartment, Some Like It Hot, Dr. Strangelove,  It's a Wonderful Life, To Kill A Mockingbird

Considering how High 12 Angry Men got on Top 100 I would bet that is #2 or #1. 

And all all of those were on my list lol. 

My Top Ten was:

1. Philadelphia Story

2. Some Like It Hot

3. Sunset Blvd

4. All About Eve

5. Strangelove

6. Bringing Up Baby

7. Casablanca 

8. Stagecoach

9. Young Frankenstein 

10. Battle of Algiers

(11) It’s A Wonderful Life

(12) Citizen Kane

(24) The Apartment

(25) 12 Angry Men

(44) To Kill a Mockingbird 

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 2

When I was younger and I was first reading about art and politics, I was a bit confused about the distinction between Marxism and The Marx Brothers. Then I saw Jean-Luc Goddard's quote, " I am a Marxist of the Groucho kind".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Also - 12 Angry Men (because they show it in school...), The Apartment, Some Like It Hot, Dr. Strangelove,  It's a Wonderful Life, To Kill A Mockingbird

Man I guess they don't do that anymore. Never heard of showing that movie in school. Unless maybe Law School.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

From what many posters here have said, it seems like H.S. - probably in a Civics Class

I guess "Civics" is being outmoded for AP Government, where the movie is slightly less relevant,

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

I guess "Civics" is being outmoded for AP Government, where the movie is slightly less relevant,

They still show like Forrest Gump at the end of the year in History class though.

And I got my AP Environmental class to watch Princess Mononoke.

• Like 1

It's A Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life Poster

Year: 1946

Director: Frank Capra

First place votes: 2

Top 5 (2-5): 1

Average position: 22.1

Our first entry with 2 number votes, and also Capra's 4th film bringing us to a 6 way tie for directors. If you want my opinion though, you can read my (scathing) review over at the "review that movie!" section.

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Tower said:

It's A Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life Poster

Year: 1946

Director: Frank Capra

First place votes: 2

Average position: 22.1

Our first entry with 2 number votes, and also Capra's 4th film bringing us to a 6 way tie for directors. If you want my opinion though, you can read my (scathing) review over at the "review that movie!" section.

tumblr_ogy9aj2CEk1tctq75o3_540.gif

• Haha 2

The Maltese Falcon

The Maltese Falcon Poster

Number of lists: 12

Year: 1941

Director: John Huston

Top 5 (2-5): 0

Top 10 (6-10): 2

Average position: 28.8

When I started this list I didn't expect this film to get this high. It's a pleasant surprise though, since this film is great and about where I had it personally.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Tower said:

When I started this list I didn't expect this film to get this high.

It got that high cause it is the stuff that dreams are made of. 

• Like 5

Some Like It Hot

Some Like It Hot Poster

Number of lists: 11

Year: 1959

Director: Billy Wilder

Top 10 (6-10): 3

Average position: 29.8

Billy Wilder returns for a leading 5th time in this cross dressing comedy. Actually, because of the time I would have thought that having cross dressing and homosexuality would have caused more of a problem, but it didn't seem to and became a big success at the box office.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Tower said:

because of the time I would have thought that having cross dressing and homosexuality would have caused more of a problem,

Oh.  It did.  Wilder made the film WITHOUT the approval of the Hayes Code (aka the pre-MPAA).  The Catholic League of Decency condemned it for being “seriously offensive to Christian and traditional standards of morality and decency.”  It was BANNED in Kansas.   

• Like 6