cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

I can't wait to see this. I discovered Miyazaki after The wind rises. Since then I have only been able to see at theaters Spirited away and Mononoke, but never a new release.

He has become my favorite alive director and among my favorite ever. I have just seen some pics of TBH (I reject to see any trailer) and I recognize some of the magical elements that his best films have. Of course, I love to see this kind of reviews.

Relative to our Miyazaki's favorites, he has 11 films and the worst one is a A- for me (maybe Kiki). I would rank them as follows:

1. Spirited away

2. Mononoke, Totoro

3. Howl, Nausicaä

4. Castle in the sky, Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Cagliostro

5. The wind rises, Kiki

Said this, I like a lot both The wind rises and Kiki as I said previously. I do not see a bad film among its filmography. Who has always done good films? Maybe Billy Wilder? John Ford? Kurosawa? Hitchcock? Maybe I am not objective, but he is among the maybe 5 greatest directors of all time. Always IMHO, of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

9 hours ago, peludo said:

I can't wait to see this. I discovered Miyazaki after The wind rises. Since then I have only been able to see at theaters Spirited away and Mononoke, but never a new release.

He has become my favorite alive director and among my favorite ever. I have just seen some pics of TBH (I reject to see any trailer) and I recognize some of the magical elements that his best films have. Of course, I love to see this kind of reviews.

Relative to our Miyazaki's favorites, he has 11 films and the worst one is a A- for me (maybe Kiki). I would rank them as follows:

1. Spirited away

2. Mononoke, Totoro

3. Howl, Nausicaä

4. Castle in the sky, Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Cagliostro

5. The wind rises, Kiki

Said this, I like a lot both The wind rises and Kiki as I said previously. I do not see a bad film among its filmography. Who has always done good films? Maybe Billy Wilder? John Ford? Kurosawa? Hitchcock? Maybe I am not objective, but he is among the maybe 5 greatest directors of all time. Always IMHO, of course.

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with as similar of a Miyazaki ranking as me haha. Just switch Mononoke and Howl’s and mine  is the same as yours. Agreed on everything being at least an A-, except TWR. That was very mid for me, maybe a B- 

• Haha 1

Overall Ghibli top ten (seen all but 3 from them)

1. Spirited Away

2. Howl’s Moving Castle

3. My Neighbor Totoro

4. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

5. Grave of the Fireflies (but one and done)

6. Nausicaa

7. Whisper of the Heart

8. Princess Mononoke 

9. Porco Rosso

10. When Marnie Was There/Castle in the Sky (tie)

Also, on the topic of underrated, Ponyo really gets an unfair wrap in Miyazaki’s catalog imo. Seems many consider it his worst, when I actually think the first 2/3 are just as charming and enchanting as Totoro is.

It does falter with a weaker third act, but still easily above a few others of his for me. Moreover, I think it may be his animation peak visually speaking (without having seen this movie yet obviously). Doesn’t get nearly enough attention for that. 

• Like 1

I actually think Miyazaki often has trouble landing the plane, meaning his third acts are often the weakest element. think i read that he doesn't outline his stories and just makes it up as they're going and it can bite him in the ass sometimes like he doesn't know how to wrap it up. Howl's is the worst for that imo. 

• Like 2

Still on 100% after 34 reviews

My Ghibli ranking:

1. Spirited Away

2. Princess Mononoke

3. The Tale of Princess Kaguya

4. Kiki's Delivery Service

5. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

6. Pom Poko

7. Howl's Moving Castle

8. Porco Rosso

9. Grave of the Fireflies

10. The Wind Rises

11. Ponyo

12. Castle in the Sky

13. The Cat Returns

14. Whisper of the Heart

15. When Marnie was There

16. My Neighbour Totoro

17. Arrietty

These 17 films blow any 17 films from the MCU out of the water any day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

My Miyazaki ranking

1. My Neighbour Totoro
  2. Princess Mononoke
  3. Spirited Away
  4. Kiki's Delivery Service
  5. Ponyo
  6. Porco Rosso
  7. The Wind Rises
  8. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 
  9. Howl's Moving Castle
  10. Castle in the Sky 

Only haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro and currently working my way through the rest of the Studio Ghibli filmography. Just did Whisper of the Heart yesterday and it was delightful!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with as similar of a Miyazaki ranking as me haha. Just switch Mononoke and Howl’s and mine  is the same as yours. Agreed on everything being at least an A-, except TWR. That was very mid for me, maybe a B- 

You have very good taste ;)

Concerning TWR, I have seen it again some weeks ago and it has improved for me. I do not have problems with no having magical elements (which seems to be the main complain for many people). It is a really touching story. Although it is not, it feels like if it were a biopic about himself. I have read that he is obsessed with planes, something that he shows in many films. And I could even think he would have really be a pilot, and he shows it on his films. I like the film a lot.

And finally, Ponyo has been mentioned as an underrated film. Absolutely agreed. Ponyo is simply adorable. And again, I agree with you when you say that the first 2/3 of the film are amazing and it drops a bit at the end (when Ponyo and Sosuke begin their journey), but it is still a really charming film.

• Like 1