cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

How is this movie getting the best critical review for Miyazaki since Spirited Away but audience reception is at the polar opposite end?

Seems to be a movie very firmly placed in surrealism. Nothing super new for Miyazaki, but definitely way above the usual on his movies.

Historically, very surrealist movies for some reason usually are more welcomed by critics and cinephiles than general audiences. 

At this rate, I would expect the current RT score and its rating to go down from 99% and 8.6/10, probably sometime after when more critics coming into mix. The response so far has been divisive.

When Japan was showing meh leg (The OW was actually great), I thought that was due to less stellar WOM and also absence of marketing. The BO performance at Taiwan has also been good, dropping just 20%+ after 5 days long weekend is a very strong hold so I was thinking WOM is actually quite good elsewhere. But now Korean somehow show very mixed feeling about the movie. The movie has a great OD but I doubt that could last long given the tepid exit score. I would expect similar reaction elsewhere then. 

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

At this rate, I would expect the current RT score and its rating to go down from 99% and 8.6/10, probably sometime after when more critics coming into mix. The response so far has been divisive.

It's not divisive among critics. Maybe the movie will be hard to take from American Miyazaki fans but I think enough critics have reviewed it to make it clear.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah i don’t see the reason for critical reception suddenly change this far, it’s already at 83 reviews of likely 200-ish 

Audiences will probably continues to be divisive, as it is since the beginning 

Will the "divisive among audiences" affect its chance at Oscars for the best Animated feature?

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

When Japan was showing meh leg (The OW was actually great), I thought that was due to less stellar WOM and also absence of marketing. The BO performance at Taiwan has also been good, dropping just 20%+ after 5 days long weekend is a very strong hold so I was thinking WOM is actually quite good elsewhere. But now Korean somehow show very mixed feeling about the movie. The movie has a great OD but I doubt that could last long given the tepid exit score. I would expect similar reaction elsewhere then. 

Just curious: why you expect similar to Korea but not Taiwan at elsewhere? 

thought I was going to let this move pass me by, but those horrible reviews out of Korea sure have caught my interest

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

thought I was going to let this move pass me by, but those horrible reviews out of Korea sure have caught my interest

China, Korea, Japan, they help each other to have a bigger culture impact by saying something bad about.

Having seen the film, I'm not surprised by this response. Expect the same in NA when it drops in December too. Without getting into plot specifics, this is VERY different from all of Miyazaki's other films. Pacing is slower, structure is far more stream of consciousness and dreamy, surreal elements amped up. I loved the film personally but I had next to no clue what it was really about/what was going on until near the end.

It's also sorta contingent on the audience having "some" awareness of Miyazaki as the film is reflective in certain ways, it's not newcomer friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I'm going to GhibliFest on Saturday...I wonder if they'll show a trailer for this? It's the Sub version of Spirited Away.

It'd be a cool move to debut a full trailer in theaters. I know the Spirited Away screenings will have at least a couple pieces of promo material for The Boy and the Heron -- namely, a performance of the movie's theme song and an interview with the song's performer and the heron's voice actor. I wonder if any new footage will be involved? Either way, hopefully there's enough promo to get fans interested even if there's no trailer.

New korean release teaser is almost entirely previously unreleased footage. Some gorgeous shots in here. (tread carefully if you haven't seen the movie and want to stay blind: I feel like this is more revealing than previous promo material, though this would be a hard movie to actually spoil)

20 hours ago, Morieris said:

I'm going to GhibliFest on Saturday...I wonder if they'll show a trailer for this? It's the Sub version of Spirited Away.

What movie they are playing? I saw Suzume has a random re-release in 200+ theaters this weekend too,