cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Spider-Verse 2 chances were killed the moment that story about overworked animators broke. There is no way the academy would go for that in a year consumed by the historic dual strikes. 

Heron is the frontrunner, no matter how unwilling some are to accept that reality.

But people are saying that the Academy doesn't care about the story about overworked animators? 

20 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

But people are saying that the Academy doesn't care about the story about overworked animators? 

What people?  Members of the Academy just came off a bruising months long strike - either directly or indirectly.  I doubt they're in the mood to award gross workplace exploitation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would love to know in what world a comic book part 1 sequel is more of a frontrunner with the Academy than maybe the most respected living animator (who they have a history with recognizing) doing an original about very mature themes, but ok… 

I don't believe Spider-Verse 1 would have won anyways if it was released on any other date. The academy would have defaulted to Incredibles 2 if it was released on any other date.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Spidey chance was killed long ago and Wish was intended to the winner. Now, Wish is also done with medicore reviews. 

For real, I don't see any other films winning animated feature from "The Boy and The Heron"

People on Twitter and Reddit are telling me Across The Spider Verse is 99% winning, and the Academy members won't care about that drama when making their votes. 

Yesterday, I posted Los Angeles Film Critics Society member which wants the film to go for Best Score, Best Director and even Best Picture. Almost All Film Critics Society are posting "The Boy and The Heron" on the front runner (except Atlanta Film Critics Circle going for ATSV). When more Society will post their nomination I guess this will press some more clarity for who is winning the "Best Animated Feature"

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm not entirely sure the japanese animation industry is a good example of fair worker treatment fwiw, though Ghibli is probably one of the exceptions (I hope it is anyway)

Yes Japanese is also exploiting their workers pretty hard. Ghibli as I know is one of the few studios which pay their workers the salaries far higher than local industry standards. It is part of the reason the studio couldn’t have a maintainable business model and have to sell themselves to a TV giant recently. But it might be a good story for votes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would love to know in what world a comic book part 1 sequel is more of a frontrunner with the Academy than maybe the most respected living animator (who they have a history with recognizing) doing an original about very mature themes, but ok… 

It's kind of being ignorant on purpose if at this point ppl don't realize just how influential the Spider-Verse films have been over the last few years in terms of boundary pushing animation that a lot of subsequent Oscar nominated films like Puss (and assuming Nimona and TMNT this year) and Emmy winning shows like Arcane have picked up, and even storytelling, with everything from Everything Everywhere All At Once to recent MCU/DCEU installments doing multiverse.

Also Miyazaki has lost when there were stronger reasons to believe that he was retiring, like with The Wind Rises. Right now he seems to be open to making one or two more films.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

What people?  Members of the Academy just came off a bruising months long strike - either directly or indirectly.  I doubt they're in the mood to award gross workplace exploitation. 

You can't be talking about the same Academy whose members were quoted in 2015 saying about Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea "What are these two Chinese things nobody has heard of?? Why was The Lego Movie snubbed!!!"

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Yesterday, I posted Los Angeles Film Critics Society member which wants the film to go for Best Score, Best Director and even Best Picture. Almost All Film Critics Society are posting "The Boy and The Heron" on the front runner (except Atlanta Film Critics Circle going for ATSV). When more Society will post their nomination I guess this will press some more clarity for who is winning the "Best Animated Feature"

"Almost All Film Critics Society are posting "The Boy and The Heron" on the front runner"

Sorry but I didn't see they posted that? 

7 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

"Almost All Film Critics Society are posting "The Boy and The Heron" on the front runner"

Sorry but I didn't see they posted that? 

Washington, Las Vegas, Chicago Film Critics Circle Nomination are posted here. It's the winner in NYC Film Critics Society.

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Yes Japanese is also exploiting their workers pretty hard. Ghibli as I know is one of the few studios which pay their workers the salaries far higher than local industry standards. It is part of the reason the studio couldn’t have a maintainable business model and have to sell themselves to a TV giant recently. But it might be a good story for votes.

I am less worry about Studio Ghibli Workers since they were at the pace of 1 min/month (sometimes 10 mins/months) and once Suzuki informed that the work pace was just 15% in 3-years. Smooth Working unless they are draining out of finance. Since it's the most Expensive Production of the Studio beating out "Princess Kaguya" (¥5.15B)

If that's a merit point, then no one is stopping Miyazaki from winning!

One of the biggest things against ATSV as compared to its predecessor is just how fanboys bait the sequel has become. The first one felt more like a auteur work that push the medium instead of pleasing nerdy fanboys. 

But the sequel turns into fanboys self-congratulatory cross referencing that I know certainly put some sour feeling inside some academy members. ATSV felt too MCU, a brand that academy sincerely detest outside of BP. See how they ignored EG, IW and NWH no matter just how big they become as a fanboys parade. Tbh, I won’t rule out 1% chance that ATSV could end up like the LEGO movie snub. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Washington, Las Vegas, Chicago Film Critics Circle Nomination are posted here. It's the winner in NYC Film Critics Society.

I am less worry about Studio Ghibli Workers since they were at the pace of 1 min/month (sometimes 10 mins/months) and once Suzuki informed that the work pace was just 15% in 3-years. Smooth Working unless they are draining out of finance. Since it's the most Expensive Production of the Studio beating out "Princess Kaguya" (¥5.15B)

If that's a merit point, then no one is stopping Miyazaki from winning!

But that order is just random order, they wrote Heron first doesn't mean its front runner.

I think Across the Spider-Verse has also been hurt in the long term by the initial promise of Beyond the Spider-Verse coming out nine months later being almost immediately dashed by the revelation that they hadn't even recorded the performances yet (let alone began animation), and the movie then getting taken completely off the schedule with no new date in sight. I think a lot of people were willing to cut some slack for any shortcomings of Across initially because it was only half the story, but it becomes harder to ignore those issues when it seems like the filmmakers themselves barely know where it's going (not to mention the tiny changes they've been doing to Across since opening day).

I've been leaning more towards a Boy and the Heron win for most of the year, and I was a little worried at first when the reception in Japan seemed so muted/mixed, but it seems to be landing more with Western audiences. It was the first animated film to ever make the People's Choice top 3 at the Toronto Int'l Film Festival, and the audience scores are genuinely great so far. I think that combined with it opening to #1 and becoming Miyazaki's biggest hit here by a considerable margin is all working well for it to become the frontrunner.