cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I hope all the adult Miyazaki stans rally for this one and really come out in force DOM. I know we’re out there lol. Especially if it gets good IMAX business, gross could really inflate. 

I wonder how much it will do...

I hope the DOM total is over $15 million. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

A few of the highest rated Pixar have higher avg rating, but I don’t know of any animation with a higher top critic average. 

You'd have to look at Parasite or something like that to find a higher top critic average. Live action movies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

You'd have to look at Parasite or something like that to find a higher top critic average. Live action movies.

Yeah.

Parasite 9.5 or 9.6 top crictics average.

Beside that I don't know

How much is the chance this movie can be nominated for best picture?

There are only 3 animated movies so far being nominated: beauty and the beast, up, toy story 3

What is difference between critics and top critics?

Edited by Danhjpn

1 minute ago, Danhjpn said:

Yeah.

Parasite 9.5 or 9.6 top crictics average.

Beside that I don't know

How much is the chance this movie can be nominated for best picture?

There are only 3 animated movies so far being nominated: beauty and the beast, up, toy story 3

Hmm good question. It faces an uphill battle because it's both foreign and animated. It's not currently on the radar for best picture on the Gold Derby website, it seems. But maybe it could be.

Another example though of the high average on RT is Portrait of a  Lady on Fire, which has 9.0/10 overall and 9.4/10 top critics.

The good news is that since the cat expanded, I think the only animated movies this highly rated on RT to miss the nom are Inside Out and Into the Spiderverse. Up and TS3 both made it among similarly reviewed ones. I do think Miyazaki prestige and rep could give it a bit of a similar edge something like TS3 had as well. We need to see how competitive the BP race is this year. Weaker side and I vote yes for this making it in. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

I don't think this is a weak year for BP, I'm really skeptical about this making it in (maybe if they still had the "Miyazaki's last film" card but that seems gone now). Cool to see the critical recognition but that doesn't necessarily mean the academy will vote for it.

That said I still can't wait to see it; I still haven't watched a single trailer to get the "intended" experience.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I don't think this is a weak year for BP, I'm really skeptical about this making it in (maybe if they still had the "Miyazaki's last film" card but that seems gone now). Cool to see the critical recognition but that doesn't necessarily mean the academy will vote for it.

That said I still can't wait to see it; I still haven't watched a single trailer to get the "intended" experience.

Is it? Many were saying KOTFM was a front runner and now it’s already kind of shifting to “might not be a lock for a nom.” Feels like Barbenheimer is the only sure thing right now. Maybe Maestro. 

• ...wtf 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Is it? Many were saying KOTFM was a front runner and now it’s already kind of shifting to “might not be a lock for a nom.” Feels like Barbenheimer is the only sure thing right now. Maybe Maestro. 

I'm not sure where you've read KOTFM isn't locked for a nom, it certainly still is. There's plenty of films to nominate this year and I would be extremely surprised if a film that is both foreign and animated got a nom here.

Especially since Anatomy of a Fall will probably already fill their "foreign film quota", which will make it even harder for this to get in.

It would be cool to see, I'll admit it, but it seems really unlikely to me. Especially since GKIDS won't exactly be a campaigning powerhouse come awards season.

• Like 2

Avg rating just went up to 8.7… idk, if this stays in this stratosphere I don’t see how it can just be outright ignored at the Oscars. Something like the Spiderverse movies makes sense because they are ultimately still CBMs that play heavily into geek culture/audiences, are based on something, not from a prestige studio or director etc. It really doesn’t make sense for a Miyazaki grand return film to get this kind of reception and get snubbed, but it is the Academy. 

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avg rating just went up to 8.7… idk, if this stays in this stratosphere I don’t see how it can just be outright ignored at the Oscars. Something like the Spiderverse movies makes sense because they are ultimately still CBMs that play heavily into geek culture/audiences, are based on something, not from a prestige studio or director etc. It really doesn’t make sense for a Miyazaki grand return film to get this kind of reception and get snubbed, but it is the Academy. 

Tale of Princess Kaguya was 100% rt and 8.2 and it wasn't even enough to beat Big Hero 6 to the academy - I would keep my expectations very low honestly

• Like 3

This isn't a weak year for BP, this is one of the stronger years in recent memory. And Barbenheimer was a huge win for auteur-directed flicks, perhaps the biggest win for auteurship ever. 

With that said, this getting nom'd for BP is not as outrageous as some are saying. I think it will ultimately miss, but if it has a strong BO run DOM it cannot be ruled out. 

• Like 2