Eric Prime

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

I have an irrational prejudice against August releases, especially mid to late August releases, because I was back in school at that time.

Late July can also be pushing it, depending on your school district.

I know of a few school districts that went back Aug 1 - crazy...

Florida for my sibling's kids go back 2nd (Aug 7) and 3rd week of August (Aug 12) this year...and every year, more places lose more summer b/c they pretty much set their school schedules to the AP and yearly test schedules...so, May gets more summer vacation kids and August gets less...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I know of a few school districts that went back Aug 1 - crazy...

Florida for my sibling's kids go back 2nd (Aug 7) and 3rd week of August (Aug 12) this year...and every year, more places lose more summer b/c they pretty much set their school schedules to the AP and yearly test schedules...so, May gets more summer vacation kids and August gets less...

Yeah. I heard about a school district that goes back in July! Even to me that's crazy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

@Porthos It should have snagged Alita's spot in February before Alita moved there. Been saying that for months.  Also, since there is so much winter holiday iconography, it probably could have done well the first of November.  

That's exactly right...Shazam had a winter/holiday setting, and you almost thought they planned Shazam for Aquaman's slot...and then Aquaman wanted it, so they took the next best one...a winter open at any time might have worked a little better, and Alita's spot, in hindsight, was probably the best b/c Shazam could have led off the supers year in Feb, and not been overlooked...and Aquaman could have even led into it with some marketing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Even the decades they cover extensively, they suck at. There is no organisation to the whole thing, they start at a random place and pick and go around picking movies from everywhere imaginable.

They needed to so badly have structure, but there was none. 

Can't believe they gave the 2000s one episode while giving 3 decades one too. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

The trailer for Hobbs and Shaw did not spoil the whole movie.

Good because I'm in the theater now to watch it :)

and of course I have my Rock shirt on 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

If Hobbs and Shaw can get to over $700M then that’s a clear win for Universal. I’m sure they’d have loved to get over $1B but that’s easier said than done. But I’d call this movie a success because it’s going to be a W financially and also because it sets up future installments for this spin off franchise. Without getting too spoilerly I think the way this film sets up the sequel is really well done. So now Universal can have this as a franchise going forward and the main Fast and Furious franchise as well. So I’d say Hobbs and Shaw did it’s job. 

Agreed on 700m. That seems like more than enough to make a profit and maybe an ok. Hope it get's there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

Have any of you guys seen CNN's The Movies series about each decade's best movies. They are 4 episodes in and they are awful at this. 

CNN and Fox News are horrible. All cable news is.

TLK

11.1 + 15 (+35%) + 12.4 (-17.5%) = 38.5 (-49.7%) ; 431.1 cume

was +33% / -19% last Sat / Sun

if it adds 3x this weekend to it's cume

431.1 + 38.5*3.0 = ~547

Edited by a2k

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

The worst. And they had an ad break every 7 minutes in a 124 minute episode. 

Awful. I stopped watching them before 2016 but 0% in England. I've literally watched zero minutes of both networks since moving back to the US in May. It feels wonderful. 

Get most of general news from seeking alpha which unfortunately is now super political as well.

Edited by cdsacken

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Aladdin:

810,000     +40.9%     235,000 
 625,000     -22.8%    -185,000 

crosses 350 with ease and quiet a few remaining.

18 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Do I seriously need to watch the movie after watching the 2nd trailer, because I do actually feel like I have seen all the necessary shit that I need and can skip the bullshit. 

Who goes to these movies for their plots? Most people can "spoil" a Fast and Furious movie on first view just by thinking while it's playing.... They're not about storytelling, they're about spectacle and personality... 

I firmly believe there isn't a movie alive that's ever been "spoiled" by its trailer, and that includes those Zemeckis movies... That's like saying the blurb on the inside cover of a novel "spoils" that book. It's 3% of the film's total length cut together as a commercial. That's not the same thing as a movie at all...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier