Weekend

1. Dune £4.04m (-32%) (£26.20m)

2. WLL £589k (-35%) (£7.35m)

3. Migration £574k (-15%) (£19.03m)

4. Bob Marley £509k (-39%) (£16.03m)

5. Imaginary £406k (£-38%) (£1.37m)

6. Drive-Away Dolls £264k

19. Cabrini £42k

Hey can I ask how many cinemas Boy Heron was in at the weekend and if they increased the number of screens after the Oscar ceremony? How much did it make overall this weekend? Thanks

33 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Weekend

19. Cabrini £42k

Solid numbers all round (Cabrini excepted but that was always going to be a non starter here)

How high can Dune go? £35m seems assured at this point... Wondering if Easter legs can help this stretch to £40m?

WLL quietly getting to £7.5m (with plenty of gas in the tank) and Migration and Marley both overperforming are all nice to see too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Weekend

19. Cabrini £42k

Great holds again, even for Imaginary. 

Glad Wicked Little Letters has found an audience, biggest post pandemic British comedy. Excellent totals for Dune 2, Migration and Bob Marley. £264k is actually more than I would’ve expected for Drive Away Dolls considering zero promo.

Hoping Immaculate does well next weekend. It deserves to. 

Zone of Interest now in the top 10 all time for non-English language films. 

Edited by Krissykins

29 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Looks like the chains are betting big on Back to Black with their screen counts, I dunno, I've only ever seen bad press with this, I don't actually know if this is going to backfire or not. 

Unfortunately, bad press/reviews never seem to deter UK audiences from flocking to bad jukebox musicals. 

Saw the trailer the other day and thought it looked generic as hell.

The Despicable Me films have all (freakily) landed on £47m since the second one so that's probably a safe bet looking at the rest of the year.

I've been thinking for a while that this year looks like another 2014, hopefully something does overperform enough to get over £50m though. At the very least next year looks a lot more promising. 

7 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Nah, Wicked doesn't have the Dahl effect. 

something with 7000 performances just in London, plus a couple of Uk tours (estimated 8-9M viewers in London alone) what needs?

Two  others West End classics were huge: Les Miserables (61M), Mamma mia (89M) . Chicago made 26M +, so basically 45M with the actual average ticket price.

Usually the flops on the big screen are the Andrew Llyod Webber musicals 🤣 (Cats and the panthom of the opera). I don't know about Paddingotn but at least Wicked is not a panned disaster like cats with all november and december I see it at Le Miz and Mamma mia level.  It's perfect for Christmas like Wonka cause it's a very disneyan musical both for the story and for the music style.

Something remembers also The Greatest showman. 

Edited by vale9001

Wicked has stiff competition going up against Moana 2. I dont think it even opens at #1 for the weekend. Then just in time for Christmas it will have its legs cut short by competition from The Lord of the Rings, Karate Kid, Sonic 3 and The Lion King.

Edited by Simplyobsessed

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

something with 7000 performances just in London, plus a couple of Uk tours (estimated 8-9M viewers in London alone) what needs?

Two  others West End classics were huge: Les Miserables (61M), Mamma mia (89M) . Chicago made 26M +, so basically 45M with the actual average ticket price.

Usually the flops on the big screen are the Andrew Llyod Webber musicals 🤣 (Cats and the panthom of the opera). I don't know about Paddingotn but at least Wicked is not a panned disaster like cats with all november and december I see it at Le Miz and Mamma mia level.  It's perfect for Christmas like Wonka cause it's a very disneyan musical both for the story and for the music style.

Something remembers also The Greatest showman. 

You aren't wrong about Wicked having a big west end legacy for sure, but it's never felt like it's something that people are really excited for like Les Mis was, and Mamma Mia is just exploiting this country's strange obsession with ABBA 😅 I mean who knows, I could be completely off base, still a long campaign to go. 

Wicked seems a bit American to me to be really massive here. When you look at the big musicals like Mamma Mia 1 & 2, Les Mis, Wonka, Bohemian Rhapsody, Mary Poppins Returns etc they are either British, or feature big British casts

the only real outlier is The Greatest Showman, although that "only" grossed £50m.

Really hope I am wrong though and it does explode to £50m+,  but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was more like £30m