Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

It is weird that this seems to be a country its sort of underperforming the expectations. 

It did better in UK than France/Germany though so maybe less like ground to make up. 

The first one opened with £5.8m

With £2.8m Friday and £3.6m Saturday this should get to at least £9m for the full weekend (+50% from part one). Weak exchange rate isn't helping but still a pretty good result. 

BFI IMAX is sold out or near sold out for most of the next month... The only showings with vaguely decent seats left are Monday or Tuesday morning showings at the end of March. 

19 minutes ago, solaris said:

The first one opened with £5.8m

With £2.8m Friday and £3.6m Saturday this should get to at least £9m for the full weekend (+50% from part one). Weak exchange rate isn't helping but still a pretty good result. 

BFI IMAX is sold out or near sold out for most of the next month... The only showings with vaguely decent seats left are Monday or Tuesday morning showings at the end of March. 

What does the exchange rate have to do with it?

I wonder if we’re not seeing a bigger jump like the US because we don’t have HBOMax, so the original wasn’t day and date here. 

Edited by Krissykins

17 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What does the exchange rate have to do with it?

I wonder if we’re not seeing a bigger jump like the US because we don’t have HBOMax, so the original wasn’t day and date here. 

It's not helping if you're comparing the openings in USD (not saying that anyone here is, but that's how it'll be reported in the weekend write ups, and how UK opening weekend will be compared to Germany, France etc)

But yes, I agree - no day/date holding back part one opening as in US, and there were fewer (if any) covid restrictions still in place by the time this opened here in October vs rest of Europe in September (I think Germany and France both still had restrictions in place at that time, but I might be wrong). So a 50% increase is still pretty good.

The first Dune had a Thursday opening plus some Monday sneak previews. The opening looked like this:

Monday £121k

Thursday £975k

Friday £1.32m

Saturday £1.88m

Sunday £1.56m

3 Day weekend was £4.77m, total opening was £5.86m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

First one definitely felt like an early event in the new world, can't remember whether it was before or after No Time to Die here. But still, it probably played closer to it's potential back then compared to other territories. 

• Like 1

Bit confused with why some people seem so disappointed in these numbers? Didn’t realise expectations were so high.

£9m+ is a pretty great opening IMO for a film that people want to see in PLFs and is nearly 3 hours long.  It’s basically doubled the first Dune’s opening if it was like-for-like, and also seems to be in line with US. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Bit confused with why some people seem so disappointed in these numbers? Didn’t realise expectations were so high.

£9m+ is a pretty great opening IMO for a film that people want to see in PLFs and is nearly 3 hours long.  It’s basically doubled the first Dune’s opening if it was like-for-like, and also seems to be in line with US. 

Yep, this is doing great business, still seems busy with pre-sales during the week near me too. There’s nothing to be disappointed with here.

Dune Messiah announced in 3, 2, 1…

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

Yeah It's on pair with almost any market in term of growth.

I think only the Friday number was at first underwhelming then it had a great weekend multiplier. I wouldn’t say the 3 day was a disappointment at all. 

Only a -23% second weekend drop for Wicked Little Letters too, nice.

Weekend Numbers

Film Distributor Weeks on release Weekend Total Total Box Office
1 Dune: Part Two Warner Bros. 1 £9,279,080 £9,279,080
2 Bob Marley: One Love Paramount 3 £1,351,557 £13,760,796
3 Wicked Little Letters STUDIOCANAL 2 £1,172,890 £4,259,564
4 Migration Universal Pictures 5 £961,524 £17,590,513
5 Madame Web Sony Pictures 3 £246,538 £3,916,755
6 Wonka Warner Bros. 13 £143,379 £62,877,753
7 Manjummel Boys RFT Films Ltd 2 £124,319 £392,404
8 The Zone Of Interest A24 5 £110,215 £2,606,664
9 Perfect Days MUBI 2 £109,910 £417,230
10 Sami Swoi. Poczatek MAGNETES PICTURES 1 £96,823 £96,823