Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, Unfitclock said:

I mean that film should be dropping at most 50 percent also was that just previews for it

Under normal circumstances sure, and it'll probably have a great hold next week to compensate when it's raining. But movies can't compete with the year's first good weather in this country. 

Eurovision took £35k in 100 cinemas yesterday.

Last year's was £241k from 400 cinemas.

Big drop in sites was caused by this year's being an IP streaming only release as Met Opera was taking up the usual satellite space Event Cinema shows use. No doubt it would still have dropped a lot anyway as there was more interest last year with the UK hosting.

On 5/12/2024 at 8:50 PM, UKBoxOffice said:

Eurovision took £35k in 100 cinemas yesterday.

Last year's was £241k from 400 cinemas.

Big drop in sites was caused by this year's being an IP streaming only release as Met Opera was taking up the usual satellite space Event Cinema shows use. No doubt it would still have dropped a lot anyway as there was more interest last year with the UK hosting.

I noticed Everyman were charging £28 per person for it, madness considering it is on BBC1.

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

Anyone else notice that The Watchers is called The Watched over here? Strange title change.

Yep, I think it’s to move away from that terrible Netflix show a year or two ago. Could be wrong though lol

Horror first Fridays in 2024:

Imaginary £216,000

Abigail £208,000

Night Swim £200,000

The Strangers Chapter 1 £190,000

The First Omen £170,000

Immaculate £151,000

Tarot £131,000

Lines up with the US - no breakouts. 

(Abigail and Immaculate are rated 18)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yep, I think it’s to move away from that terrible Netflix show a year or two ago. Could be wrong though lol

It's odd, when I saw it listed I thought it was a different movie, then I thought it was a typo until I saw the trailer before The Strangers and it said The Watched.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Saturday

1. Apes £1.00m (-16%)

2. If £908k

3. Fall Guy £432k (+18%)

4. Garfield £367k

5. Strangers £165k

6. Challengers £122k (+19%)

7. Back To Black £75k (-2%)

Great holds despite the nice weather yesterday. 

4 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Saturday

1. Apes £1.00m (-16%)

2. If £908k

3. Fall Guy £432k (+18%)

4. Garfield £367k

5. Strangers £165k

6. Challengers £122k (+19%)

7. Back To Black £75k (-2%)

Garfield early previews def affected IF performance. 

Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes remains at No.1 this weekend with £2.1m, dropping a modest 31% from its opening. Wes Ball’s sequel enters the top twenty of 2024 so far at fourteen with a cume of £7.6m, above Poor Things (£7.4m) and behind The Fall Guy (£8.2m). It has also overtaken the lifetime of Ball’s previous film Maze Runner: The Death Cure (£6.7m), and is just behind his other releases The Maze Runner (£8.9m) and The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials (£8.9m).

John Krasinski’s IF opens at No.2 with £1.7m, and will rise to No.1 in the official chart with £2.4m including last weekend’s previews. This is the third film directed by Krasinski, following A Quiet Place which opened with £2.6m, and its sequel A Quiet Place Part II which opened with £3.5m. In our PostTrak exits polls, the family comedy achieved 4 stars and a 90% Total Positive rating among Kids audience, which rises to 4.5 stars and a 94% Total Positive among Parents audience. The main reasons kids gave for watching the film was the trailer/adverts looked good (30%), whilst 38% said they would watch the film again at the cinema.

At No.3 is The Fall Guy with £874k, with only a 7% drop from last weekend - the lowest of the Top 10. David Leitch’s action-drama has a running total of £8.2m, which is currently only 25% behind the director’s previous release Bullet Train (£10.9m). Leitch’s highest-grossing films to date are Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw (£20.6m) and Deadpool 2 (£32.8m).

The Garfield Movie is at No.4 this weekend, previewing with £602k before opening on Friday. Previous Garfield theatrical releases include Garfield (2004, £9.5m) and Garfield 2 (2006, £6.5m).

New opener The Strangers: Chapter 1 is at No.5 with £452k. This is 120% higher than the opening of The Strangers: Prey At Night (£205k), whilst 2008’s The Strangers opened with £1.2m and went on to gross £4.3m. The horror title gained 2 stars and a 67% Total Positive rating in our PostTrak exit surveys, rising to 76% when looking at males under 25. The genre/type of film was the main reason given for watching the film with 39%.

At No.6 is Challengers with £291k, a 13% drop in its fourth week of release. Luca Guadagnino’s drama has grossed £5.3m in total to date, bringing the cume for the director’s films over £10m. His other credits include Call Me By Your Name (£1.8m), A Bigger Splash (£1.2m), I Am Love (£926k), Bones And All (£806k) and Suspiria (£351k).

The Indian comedy Guruvayoorambala Nadayil opens at No.7 with £219k (including previews), whilst Back To Black is No.8 with £166k.

The re-release of 42nd Street - The Musical is at No.9 with £113k, and Kung Fu Panda 4 closes the chart at No.10 with £101k. Kung Fu Panda 4 has become the highest-grossing animated release of 2024 so far with £21.3m, overtaking Migration (£21.2m).

Alex Garlands’ Civil War, which will chart at No.15 with £53k, has become the highest-grossing A24 release in the UK & Ireland with £6.2m. The previous best-performing release for A24 was Everything Everywhere All At Once with £6.2m.

The overall box office is up 15% from last weekend, and down 30% versus the equivalent weekend in 2023 when Fast X opened at No.1 with £5.8m – followed by Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 at No.2 with £2.8m in its third week.

Year-to-date, 2024 is now running 7% behind the same period in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4