Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Charles Gant @ The Guardian projecting £99M for Skyfall and possibly £100M if it follows TDKR's drops from now on! :Dhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/nov/13/skfall-supremacy-twilight-also-rans

Even if, going forward, Skyfall follows the decay pattern set by The Dark Knight Rises after three weekends (in fact, its decline is likely to be more gentle), the Bond film would reach a record-breaking £99m in the UK, £5m more than Avatar. Although ticket prices have crept up since Avatar came out, Skyfall is not benefiting from a 3D price premium. In any case, it looks firmly on course to become the biggest ever hit at the UK box office, and possibly the first film to crack £100m.

• Like 2

So has Skyfall a chance to enter the top 20 most attended movies in the UK? http://www.reelclassics.com/Articles/General/bfi100ultimate-article.htmthe list only goes to 20042009 AVATAR 16.5m2008 MammaMia! 13.5m2010 TS3 12.62011 DH2 12.1mestimating average ticket price with $9.93 (King's Speech) Skyfall should be about 11.7m

Edited by Rudolf

THIS...... I WANT THIS!

WE ALL DO!

So has Skyfall a chance to enter the top 20 most attended movies in the UK? http://www.reelclass...ate-article.htmthe list only goes to 20042009 AVATAR 16.5m2008 MammaMia! 13.5m2010 TS3 12.62011 DH2 12.1mestimating average ticket price with $9.93 (King's Speech) Skyfall should be about 11.7m

Hmm, so it needs over 15M admissions to enter Top 20. Could get there. Hard to say as UK gets no admissions data for films really, have to estimate only.

Relative to other countries maybe. But you can't say £93m isn't special. That's ridiculous.

Relative to other countries maybe. But you can't say £93m isn't special. That's ridiculous.

A No1 is a special thing, when it more than double No2.

Maybe that's just due to the fact not a lot of movies are very big in Spain ,whereas in the UK, British franchises as well as big Hollywood blockbusters drive up takings, which is why there are many big films.

in Spain a very big movie sells 5 or 6 million admissions (half than biggest, Titanic, which sold 11 million). Well, Avatar sold 9.5 million.I have been comparing all time admissions lists of Spain and UK and the difference between them is that the biggest movies in history in Spain are very recent. Both Titanic and Avatar are the all-time most attended movies.Imagine a movie gets the second rank in admissions in UK (over 30 million of The sound of music). What would be its gross, 180 million Pounds? That is what happened to Avatar in Spain.I see a lot of similarities between Skyfall and The Impossible runs. Both are incredible runs. The difference is that in terms of gross The Impossible has the problem that the second more attended movie in history in Spain was released 3 years ago.Avatar in UK was at the same level in terms of admissions than Skyfall in UK or The Impossible in Spain.Avatar in Spain was quite bigger than any other big film. That's all.

I just say both movies have similar runs: close in time, very close in gross, so both will be close in admissions. Skyfall is a super blockbuster with opening, 2nd and 3rd weekend record and Avatar is more constant (like happened in other countries). And both enormous numbers, of course.

AVATAR was no special thing in the UK (No1 in £ or not). AVATAR was a monster in Spain, where The Impossible attacs the No2 Titanic, but has no chance for No1.

Well I live in England and I know how massive Avatar was, and the numbers also agree. It earned 30% more than the previous highest grosser and that's nothing special? Lol. I suppose Skyfall has had a pretty average run aswell... Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

I am a huge AVATAR-fan. All I am saying is: defeating AVATAR in the UK is not as diffcult as in Spain or other places, where it overperformed.

Avatar over-performed everywhere. And it's still difficult beating the highest grossing movie of the UK, after all there hasn't been a film in history to even come close to it...Besides, what does Spain have anything to do with this thread? Edited by Jessie

I think something that should be kept in mind here is that we've never had a £100m grosser in our own currency. Marks, Francs, €uros have all hit the 100m barrier in some countries, the pound never had, it's an awesome huge and until recently impossible goal, but it could now realistically happen!And Avatar beat the record by a bigger percentage margin here than it did in the US which is something that you can't shake a stick at.