5. Matilda 

Top DVD: Black Adam

Top BluRay: Oppenheimer

Top Digital: Barbie
Top Rental: Barbie

£4.9b, up +10.6% on 2022. 

Is this sold or rent units?

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Anyone who cares about collecting physical media has long since moved on from DVD and on to Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray. The reason for Black Adam selling as many copies on DVD as it has is likely more to do with supermarkets selling it for £2.99 at the checkout and hoping that clueless customers take a punt on it without knowing how bad the film is.

You've seen a supermarket still selling movies? That's like finding rocking horse shit 😜

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You've seen a supermarket still selling movies? That's like finding rocking horse shit 😜

Never underestimate the absolute cinematic bilge that Home Bargains has on the end of their checkout aisles 😂 Last time I went in it was Morbius and some straight to DVD animated Barbie movie for £2.99.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Back down to Earth for Wonka on Monday, all the schools have gone back now. Still #1 though

1. Wonka £288k

2. One Life £269k

3. Anyone But You £160k

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Wonka lose its number one streak to One Life at some point this week. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Anyone who cares about collecting physical media has long since moved on from DVD and on to Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray. The reason for Black Adam selling as many copies on DVD as it has is likely more to do with supermarkets selling it for £2.99 at the checkout and hoping that clueless customers take a punt on it without knowing how bad the film is.

I’m pretty sure DVD was still the top selling physical format again last year too, the mind boggles! 

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m pretty sure DVD was still the top selling physical format again last year too, the mind boggles! 

The majority seem happy watching SD broadcasts on 4K tvs, the general public have never really cared about quality, otherwise dvd would have died 15 years ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The majority seem happy watching SD broadcasts on 4K tvs, the general public have never really cared about quality, otherwise dvd would have died 15 years ago

Yeh it’s bizarre. The top 5 on DVD were very male heavy actually:

Black Adam

John Wick

Elvis

Oppenheimer

Top Gun Maverick. 

Whereas Barbie and No Hard Feelings feature in the top 5 for digital and digital rentals. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh it’s bizarre. The top 5 on DVD were very male heavy actually:

Black Adam

John Wick

Elvis

Oppenheimer

Top Gun Maverick. 

Whereas Barbie and No Hard Feelings feature in the top 5 for digital and digital rentals. 

Make sense, my dad can't tell whether something is HD or not so anything above dvd is lost on him. I've got a belligerent friend that genuinely doesn't understand the difference between Blu-ray and dvd though, that's mainly because he's an idiot. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Make sense, my dad can't tell whether something is HD or not so anything above dvd is lost on him. I've got a belligerent friend that genuinely doesn't understand the difference between Blu-ray and dvd though, that's mainly because he's an idiot. 

Does he have an undiagnosed eye condition? 😂

To be fair, my mum is the same, I regularly walk in on her watching the SD channels on Sky even though there’s a HD variant (which is usually much easier to find on the guide!), and she genuinely can’t tell the difference somehow.

35 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

is Mean Girls looking really quiet to anyone else?

Yup, same here. Surprising because the UK usually laps up a musical, regardless of quality. It also seems to be in smaller to mid-size screens.

Maybe more people than anticipated have the same reaction as me towards the film. I love the original Mean Girls, but a musical version is an instant turn off.

39 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

is Mean Girls looking really quiet to anyone else?

My local seems fine so far. Daytime shows look fairly dead but the latest showing at 8pm on opening day is already over 50% occupancy. Still just under a week out so still too early to tell, opening weekend listings are only for premium format so I guess there’s real urgency for presales. 

I’m not sure why Paramount delayed it 5 days here though and opted for a Wednesday in the middle of January. 

They're hiding it's a musical in the trailers though. I honestly don't think general audiences know it is a musical, they just think it is a direct remake, which in itself is off-putting because how can you top the original. They should be playing up that it's a musical to differentiate it

• Like 4

Anyone else having issues with Cineworld today? Been trying for ages to book a ticket for One Life, and keep getting error code 8 in the app and "SeatsUnavailable" on the website. Tried contacting Cineworld, but no luck on phone, twitter or email. I'm half hour away and don't want to make the trip in person only to be turned away!

Also tried other showings of other films... All the same issue. It never lets you go beyond ticket selection. 

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The Glasgow film theatre has sell outs all weekend for Poor Things. Which isn’t too surprising.

What’s a bit more surprising is my showing tonight at Cineworld is packed. Easily winning the weekend surely? 

It'll be number 1 on Friday. Not sure about the weekend, Wonka could be very strong again on Saturday & Sunday

• Like 2