Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

32 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Jat just has some.... Interesting opinions on movies 😅 I give him plenty of shit for that on telegram though. 

What happened in this thread, did I miss anything?

On 7/23/2024 at 7:36 AM, Krissykins said:

For some perspective and remembering just how huge Barbie was, it’s opening weekend was more than Despicable Me 4 has made in 10 days. £18.4m is crazy. And then a 5.2x multiplier to become the 6th biggest film of all time. 

And Barbie did it without IMAX/PLF/3D/4DX had it had those formats would have taken about £120m? 

1 minute ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

And Barbie did it without IMAX/PLF/3D/4DX had it had those formats would have taken about £120m? 

Barbie definitely had in house PLF and Dolby. Doubt IMAX or 4DX would have given it THAT much of a boost. 

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Admits wise EG is ahead of NWH, Barbie and NTTD though. Just bad time I guess. With current prices EG would have been 50M+ weekend 💀

It's OK, the next Bond will probably get there 👀

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

No need though, Skyfall and Spectre bigger.

Actually probably Barbie even.

I meant more the 50m weekend haha. I really hate these extra days added to OW stats, Spectre is an absolute piss take for it's data

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I meant more the 50m weekend haha. I really hate these extra days added to OW stats, Spectre is an absolute piss take for it's data

Biggest inflated top 10 weekends Endgame £52.4m; Spectre £52.1m; Prisoner of Azkaban £51.63m; The Simpsons £44.3m; The Force Awakens £42.4m; Chamber of Secrets £41.4m; Toy Story 3 £38.95m; Deathly Hallows Part 2 £38.6m; Philosopher's Stone £37.81m; Avengers Infinity War £37.3m; Half Blood Prince £37m; Return of the King £36.7m; No Way Home £36.51m; Barbie £35.4m; Shrek 2 £35.3m; Order of the Pheonix £34.9m; Rise of Skywalker £34.6m; Die Another Day £33.8m; I Am Legend £33.5m; Shrek the Third £33.35m; Civil War £33.28m; Skyfall £33.27m; Two Towers £32.9m; Quantom of Solace £32.8m; Black Panther £32.1m

Cineworld apparently announcing tomorrow (Friday 26th) which 25 cinemas they’re closing down. Sad times.

They’re already closing 3 Picturehouse locations in London.

I managed to find this from Google:

Odeon 120 locations

Vue 92

Cineworld 77 (102 before closures)

Everyman 45

Picturehouse 26

Merlin 18

Curzon 17

Showcase 16

Reel 16

The Light 13

Scott 7

Omniplex 7

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Cineworld apparently announcing tomorrow (Friday 26th) which 25 cinemas they’re closing down. Sad times.

Odeon 120 locations

Vue 92

Everyman 45

Picturehouse 26

Merlin 18

Curzon 17

Showcase 16

Reel 16

The Light 13

Scott 7

Omniplex 7

I’m praying that the Barnsley one survives, it’s only been open around 18 months and it’s the nearest IMAX for me where I can safely park my car (I had my catalytic converter stolen at the Sheffield one, so even though Sheff is technically closer, I have trust issues going there…).

Having been through Cineworld “restructuring” before, I feel so sorry for everyone who works there who this will affect. It’s rough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Odeon 120 locations

Vue 92

Everyman 45

Picturehouse 26

Merlin 18

Curzon 17

Showcase 16

Reel 16

The Light 13

Scott 7

Omniplex 7

I didn't realise Everyman were up to 45 already, Holy shit

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’m praying that the Barnsley one survives, it’s only been open around 18 months and it’s the nearest IMAX for me where I can safely park my car (I had my catalytic converter stolen at the Sheffield one, so even though Sheff is technically closer, I have trust issues going there…).

Having been through Cineworld “restructuring” before, I feel so sorry for everyone who works there who this will affect. It’s rough.

If there's an IMAX screen, another operator will take it over I'm sure, probably Odeon.

My closest cinema is Cineworld, literally 5 minutes drive, and has 4DX and LieMAX. To be honest I prefer the Odeon Luxe that's about 15 minutes away (traffic-dependent), so if the Cineworld closes I'll just switch to a Limitless at Odeon instead of the Unlimited I currently have. Either I drive slightly longer or my local probably ends up taken over by them anyway. 

I love the big screen experience, so it's always sad to see cinemas closing. But for me it's been clear for years that the cinema is becoming event-driven. People go out for the huge must-see things, on the PLF screens, with gimmicks, and to be part of the experience with huge crowds. I can easily see a near future where multiplexes are half a dozen screens, with most of them being a PLF of some sort. Less maintenance all around, fewer staff required, higher turnover, pretty much exclusively dedicated to event films, with everything else being kicked out every time something big opens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Odeon 120 locations

Vue 92

Everyman 45

Picturehouse 26

Merlin 18

Curzon 17

Showcase 16

Reel 16

The Light 13

Scott 7

Omniplex 7

As what happened when Odeon merged with UCI many of the Cineworld cinemas they announce will close will be acquired by the likes of Savoy, Omniplex and Everyman. Find the announcement strange as it's just as UK cinemas will have their best weekend for over a year. But everything to do with Cineworld since 2017 when they brought Regal was unexpected, as Cineworld were desperate to be the biggest global exhibitor no matter the long-term consequences.