Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

The Hobbit 2 very likely, Monsters University perhaps, although that'll be difficult...Next year will have a lot of big hits like Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2 etc, but nothing monstrous like this year it seems. Catching Fire could become like Twilight, or it could explode. We'll see.

Edited by Heretic

I don't think it's a bad thing if there is a lot of big hits rather than a few monster hits. I can see Iron Man 3, Catching Fire and Monsters University breaking £30m, I think they'll be a lot of £20m+ films like Star Trek into Darkness, Man of Steel, Despicable Me 2. It'll be interesting how The Hangover and Fast and Furious 6 do with the same day release, they along with Epic could be the busiest weekend of the year. Les Mis is the real wildcard, I think it'll be successful but it is hard to determine what it can do box office wise.

Are you saying it'll flop or it just won't be as good as Mamma Mia?

It won't flop but Mamma Mia! is at £69m so it won't beat that but I think it'll break £20-25m, could do £30m if word of mouth is great, this month is surprisenly chock a block with Django Unchained on the 18th, Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty on the 25th plus other films like The Last Stand and Monsters Inc 3D.

I don't think ZDT will do well in the UK but then again the goodwill from Hurt Locker might save it from flopping. I predict Lincoln might do at least Argo numbers in the UK (Steven Spielberg films have always done well overseas in the past 15 years but president movies don't always fare well overseas. However, JFK did well back in 1991 with $130M+ overseas. Still it doesn't need massive numbers like Spielberg's past films to be profitable. I think it might match Munich's OS numbers) and Django will do well (due to the goodwill from QT's last film, IB. Heck, True Grit made $80M overseas).

Edited by BEEJAYGRAD11

Is Inbetweeners 2 coming this year? I know The new Frost and Pegg film The World's End is coming in August as well as The Alan Partridge Movie but nothing on The Inbetweeners. There's also the Richard Curtis film About Time but I've not seen trailer for it yet. I think Man of Steel will breakout, probably not £30m but I could see it doing it near £20-25m if reviews and WOM is good.

I'm surprised Quartet was beaten by The Impossible but both should have a decent six day total, I'm guessing Playing for Keeps bombed. Jack Reacher has no similar competition until Django so it should hold well in the coming weeks, Paramount seem to be have been successful releasing action films in the Boxing Day slot, Jack Ryan has that slot this December.

I'm surprised Quartet was beaten by The Impossible but both should have a decent six day total, I'm guessing Playing for Keeps bombed. Jack Reacher has no similar competition until Django so it should hold well in the coming weeks, Paramount seem to be have been successful releasing action films in the Boxing Day slot, Jack Ryan has that slot this December.

Jack Reacher. ;)