Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Anyone think Creed could top The Revenant this weekend? Starting to think it might. At a lot of my locals its getting the biggest screen, and buzz around my age range is big.

Both could top £3m, which means we'll likely have 3 movies grossing over that mark this weekend. It'll be close.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Anyone think Creed could top The Revenant this weekend? Starting to think it might. At a lot of my locals its getting the biggest screen, and buzz around my age range is big.

Both could top £3m, which means we'll likely have 3 movies grossing over that mark this weekend. It'll be close.

It definitely feels like Cineworld is pushing Revenant more, but I think Creed should come out on top given the brand familiarity. Plus it's an amazing film. 

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Stallone getting his first in the US presented major award? Might be add a bit buzz too.

A bit funny how they point that out in the US, seemingly missing he won already some OS awards I'd call nice too, even if partly 'Life-time' awards

• Like 1

Notably this week, China has bumped Australia out of the Top 5 offshore markets for TFA. The Middle Kingdom, with $65.7M, currently sits at No. 5. The UK is still tops with $162.5M, followed by Germany ($95.5M), France ($77.1M) and Japan ($69.4M). (Local PROC reporting by Ent Group has TFA at about $71.5M with Wednesday grosses included, which would lift it past Japan, but those are unconfirmed numbers.)...

http://deadline.com/2016/01/the-force-awakens-tuesday-results-passes-avengers-age-of-ultron-china-international-box-office-1201682015/

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Notably this week, China has bumped Australia out of the Top 5 offshore markets for TFA. The Middle Kingdom, with $65.7M, currently sits at No. 5. The UK is still tops with $162.5M, followed by Germany ($95.5M), France ($77.1M) and Japan ($69.4M). (Local PROC reporting by Ent Group has TFA at about $71.5M with Wednesday grosses included, which would lift it past Japan, but those are unconfirmed numbers.)...

http://deadline.com/2016/01/the-force-awakens-tuesday-results-passes-avengers-age-of-ultron-china-international-box-office-1201682015/

I think there is a mistake with the UK and France grosses. Former is too low, latter is too high.

On Sonntag, 10. Januar 2016 at 8:01 PM, terrestrial said:

STAR WARS Int'l: UK ($161M) GER ($94M) FRA ($76M) JPN ($65M) OZ ($57M) CHI ($52M) ESP ($31M) ITA ($27M) MEX ($26M) RUS ($25M) BRZ ($24M)

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

3 minutes ago, tyrannyreborn said:

I think there is a mistake with the UK and France grosses. Former is too low, latter is too high.

I do not think so, see the post from 10 January? Another source, still it looks like a logical increase to me. Be aware, that are the details from yesterday

9 minutes ago, tyrannyreborn said:

I was using the 'actuals' from BOM ($164.03m and $72.75m). Maybe they're wrong.

Interesting find! So France is now the same, but UK is higher there.

France Disney 12/16/15 $21,378,320 27.7% $77,100,000 1/12/16

Hmm, might depend on if someone uses the exchange rate of the day for the complete run or adds up per day???

Maybe asking Heretic might bring clarification?

United Kingdom Disney 12/17/15 $50,686,789 30.9% $164,032,994 1/10/16

@Heretic  can you check / compare the above in the posts mentioned numbers? The post from today got defined as results of including 12 January.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

That's way higher than the $158m that was reported on Monday. Even including Monday and Tuesday, it wouldn't be at $164m with todays exchange rate. I don't really know how exchange rates work when converting, rth can provide more insight, but I think the exchange rate is averaged over a period of some weeks or a month, the pound to dollar gross conversion doesn't change at the same rate the actual currencies are changing.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

Exchange rate did fall again around the end of the weekend. It was meant to be around $158m on Sunday, and after Tuesday the USD gross was exactly the same according to the live data. So it's as if Monday and Tuesday didn't count at all. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heretic said:

That's way higher than the $158m that was reported on Monday. Even including Monday and Tuesday, it wouldn't be at $164m with todays exchange rate. I don't really know how exchange rates work when converting, rth can provide more insight, but I think the exchange rate is averaged over a period of some weeks or a month, the pound to dollar gross conversion doesn't change at the same rate the actual currencies are changing.

BOM uses the current exchange rate, which is why you may see a decrease in the total gross from one week to the next in certain cases (extremely unprofessional on their part). I don't know how studio's work out the dollar gross, but I would assume they divide each day's gross by the daily ER, unless they have other agreements with the cinema chains.

Edited by quigquag33
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, quigquag33 said:

BOM uses the current exchange rate, which is why you may see a decrease in the total gross from one week to the next in certain cases (extremely unprofessional on their part). I don't know how studio's work out the dollar gross, but I would assume they divide each day's gross by the daily ER, unless they have other agreements with the cinema chains.

Yes, i find this very confusing and annoying, in that BO sites take the current exchange rate and apply it to the whole run of the film.

I noticed that from mid December onwards the BO take for Spectre in the UK, has in dollar terms been pretty static, or going down in some cases, even though the films domestic gross has been continually going up.

I think that BO sites , at the minimum should calculate the gross on a week to week basis, for what the exchange rate is at that time, then over time the dollar gross would be more accurate.

Is there anyone here in the film business, who can explain how the studios deal with this?

Edited by mepal1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, quigquag33 said:

cinema chains globally couldn't care less about what they take being shown in $us to them everything is $lc they pay distributors in $lc , the only exceptions is a foreign owner and even then the interest be in very top level numbers.

6 hours ago, mepal1 said:

Yes, i find this very confusing and annoying, in that BO sites take the current exchange rate and apply it to the whole run of the film.

I noticed that from mid December onwards the BO take for Spectre in the UK, has in dollar terms been pretty static, or going down in some cases, even though the films domestic gross has been continually going up.

I think that BO sites , at the minimum should calculate the gross on a week to week basis, for what the exchange rate is at that time, then over time the dollar gross would be more accurate.

Is there anyone here in the film business, who can explain how the studios deal with this?

I've explained how works many times, but doing quick search can't find previous posts and haven't time atm to explain it, but top level studios have intercompany rates set monthly and do adjustments when necessary

• Like 5