cookie

Cookie Does Requests or Whatever (Cookie's Corner Y6) - Unlike Garfield, this thread doesn't hate Mondays

15 minutes ago, cookie said:

The Most Wanted Man in Great Britain

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks a whole bunch. It was very fun to write.

This one has by far the most historical deviations of the three history movies, for dramatic/narrative purposes. 

• Like 1

In honor of the third consecutive A for @4815162342's history trilogy, a list of my favorite Numbers characters in no particular order:

Albino Pidge

Shithead Stevens

Daddy M'Baku

Carrie Coon, Miles Teller Eviscerator

Torpedo Neeson

Hammertime Heughan

Coran Cornwallis

J.K Simmons Wizard

Honorary mention: Peter Dinklage Wizard

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

In honor of the third consecutive A for @4815162342's history trilogy, a list of my favorite Numbers characters in no particular order:

Albino Pidge

Shithead Stevens

Daddy M'Baku

Carrie Coon, Miles Teller Eviscerator

Torpedo Neeson

Hammertime Heughan

Coran Cornwallis

J.K Simmons Wizard

Honorary mention: Peter Dinklage Wizard

Disrespect for Half Off Aloth? Rude.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Lumberjanes: Secret of the Eye

Spoiler

Spoiler

This is what smashing Scott Pilgrim and Cartoon Network together while doing LSD looks like.

No, seriously, this was... weird. I haven't actually had a chance to read the comics in full, but the way they're translated here... I don't know if it's for the better or for the worse. I'm going to assume for the worse.

It takes quite a while for anyone to actually explain all the random encounters that happen and by that point I was honestly close to checking out. Where did the three-eyed foxes come from? Did Jo just have that "golden eye" with her the whole time? I guess Apollo and Artemis were just two god kids fucking around in the camp, but the way that "twist" is delivered is really bizarre. And what was up with Dave Bautista, even if he was funny?

I kinda criticized the first Bounty Hamster movie for being too random and weird for my taste... and this kinda stumps it for me. If it was a comic or an animated film I would've accepted the weirdness more, but I don't know if it really works in live action.

At least a trans actress getting a starring role is a good thing and I liked the camaraderie between the kids, so...

B-/C+

Edited by cookie
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

Ouch.

Will say that there's more kinda weird stuff in the comics, and the plot literally jumps right in to the fox scene. (It's literally the first scene of the first issue) There's also a lot of stuff that got cut, but the core of the story is there. I can promise that the issues I adapted from are just as chaotic and bizarre, if not more so.

Also the eye fell from one of the foxes that dissolved. Not sure how clearly that was conveyed.

Either way....hopefully this was my yearly sacrificial lamb.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cookie said:

Mass Effect: Ascension

Reveal hidden contents

Now that I am home from work and on desktop, some expanded thoughts in spoiler tags

Spoiler

In hindsight I agree that Shepard/Garrus, Buddy Cops could have been cut down. I'm not quite sure as how I would have best managed that, but the main reason to have them apart for that long was to ensure they arrived later than Kaidan and thus were in position to intercept Banes and the backup.

I actually debated cutting out the entire airspeeder chase and industrial section showdown and having the full Shep/Banes showdown be at the diplomatic conference, to shorten the third act action a bit. But I kept it in since I wanted there to be another action setpiece that focused more on Shepard resolving things.

The dymanic with Gillian and Zero/Jack was definitely something that grew as I actually got to writing the film. They were not as big components in my original head-canon outline. I think I ended up leaning on them more in the end for a few reasons. Since Zero/Jack was always intended to be the ultimate "MacGuffin" of the movie, I felt we needed to get inside her head more and show someone lonely, burdened by pressure, and a little embittered be taken advantage of. That of course meant beefing up Gillian's role some more. In some thoughts Kaidan would play an equal role in talking Zero/Jack down and back to the light side, but as I outlined the film there wasn't really any way for the two to meet earlier in the movie, so there wouldn't be a reason for her to listen to him. I also find Jack to be one of the more complex and interesting characters in the games, so I wanted to make my own spin on her early on, so that the groundwork is laid for if/when the two reappear in a future movie.

As for Banes, as I mentioned, it very much in my mind was 50/50 whether to kill him or keep him around. I ultimately chose to spare him because I felt that Shepard sparing him was a sign of her growth in that instead of just killing him and discarding that part of her past (like Kylo Ren would do lol), she is acknowledging it and accepting as something to remind her of, and maybe holding out a small hope that the person she knew would come back. I think it better puts her at peace. As for him appearing again, I can tell you right now, he won't be in the next one, and 97% chance would not be in the one after that. His role in the galactic story is done at this point. That said, given how big Cerberus becomes eventually in the series, and given that certain Cerberus characters are either extremely bland or extremely infuriating, I am leaving open the possibility that he might serve as some adapted merger of those roles to a degree.

Illusive Man was always going to be either Jon Hamm or John Slattery. I flipped a coin right before I wrote that scene.

Some of the decisions I made for certain character emphasis and storylines I did to set up how things play out in future films. As a game veteran, I think you by this point have sussed out one of them, which I definitely won't get into in a thread here because it'd be a major spoiler.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be honest to @Spaghetti; Like Spark 3 initially, there's a chance I might have blinked and missed an important thread somewhere. I'll probably come back to it closer to the top 25 just so I can grasp what I just read.

And I swear, these annual sacrificial lambs aren’t on purpose. I actually thought this year would be the exception.

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 1

I actually have a few answers for some of your questions, @cookie:

Spoiler

Where did the three-eyed foxes come from?

The book itself is kinda vague about this, but given that they provide the "kitten holy" clue, they're clearly connected to the Greek god shenanigans at the camp. Their fight with the lumberjanes was almost a test, the foxes wondering if they might be worthy...

Did Jo just have that "golden eye" with her the whole time?

She found it on the ground where the foxes disappeared. Sorry if that wasn't 100% clear.

I guess Apollo and Artemis were just two god kids fucking around in the camp, but the way that "twist" is delivered is really bizarre.

It's done a bit differently than in the book, but it plays kind of with the fast and funny nature of the reveal as well as feels in character with Diane. She wants to give Jo the basic version so she'll get off her back. Basically they're at the camp so they can try and be at the lightning strike that grants victory to Zeus' challenge, disguised as mortals.

And what was up with Dave Bautista, even if he was funny?

Apollo's disguise. A bit more could have been done with that, granted, but he's basically near the camp so he can try and find out how he can beat his sister at the test, as well as anyone who might stand in his way. He actually, ironically, gets a bit more to do here than he does in the comic.

If it seems like a weird Scott Pilgrim/Cartoon Network hybrid....well that's basically what I conceived it as, with a bit of a Taika Waititi-esque flair. I probably should have chosen a director more explicitly comedic than Caro to make the Pilgrimesque style clear, but I really wanted to firmly have an all female crew. It's definitely not gonna be everyone's bread and butter because it really is bizarre at times, but that's part of the charm of it IMO.

Also, I actaully cut some weirder bits (including a bear woman and a cutthroat tag war) for the sake of time.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, cookie said:

And I swear, these annual sacrificial lambs aren’t on purpose. I actually thought this year would be the exception.

Honestly half the time (including this one) it's usually just something not exactly being your cup of tea. And I promise you that I completely take it in stride.

Hell, maybe other people are mixed too, or there's another project that's even more divisive for you. :hahaha:

33 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Honestly half the time (including this one) it's usually just something not exactly being your cup of tea. And I promise you that I completely take it in stride.

Hell, maybe other people are mixed too, or there's another project that's even more divisive for you. :hahaha:

You know my opinion on Paradise Island through PM, so that’s off the table at least. Haven’t read that Shuri anthology film yet, but it looks promising. XJ-9 could go either way, perhaps.

Edited by cookie

1 minute ago, cookie said:

You know my opinion on Paradise Island through PM, so that’s off the table at least. Haven’t read that Shuri anthology film yet, but it looks promising at least. XJ-9 could go either way, I think.

Spoiler

Also for Paradise Island, I pretty much made all of the edits you suggested.

XJ9 I have hope that you'll dig.

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:
  Hide contents

Also for Paradise Island, I pretty much made all of the edits you suggested.

XJ9 I have hope that you'll dig.

Spoiler

I’m kinda rooting for it for reasons you should know, so :ph34r:

• Thanks 1