kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

I think I'm confused ... are you asking me why HG is so big when Potter and Da Vinci had more sales and weren't as big?

I'm asking why THG beat the OW of those two when those two sold more books than THG prior to their releases. Since you seem to be saying that THG's success is based entirely on its book sales. Edited by MovieMan89

• Founder / Operator

I'm asking why THG beat the OW of those two when those two sold more books than THG prior to their releases. Since you seem to be saying that THG's success is based entirely on its book sales.

Dude, I didn't say that. I already suggested that the book sales and movie may have fed off each other, which is what I think did happen. But the books were already very popular beforehand, there's no denying that. THG was the #14 best-seller (USAToday) back in 2010.

THG is also one of the best-selling books in Kindle history (maybe THE most, now?).

And...THG didn't beat the OW of Potter. Not by much at least (in terms of tickets).

Da Vinci Code isn't a teenager/young adult book. It wasn't as front-loaded with young fans as THG is.

Edited by ShawnMR

I think it's gonna fall over 60% next weekend but level out over Easter and through April. I'm sure it'll get a lot of repeat views from fans but if DH2 is any reference those don't really start until later in the run. March domestic total record (Alice's 330m) is going to fall.

Titans is so underperforming next weekend. I'm sure theaters are kicking themselves because they have to give over their HG IMAX screenings to it.

I'm so mad about THG IMAX situation. The amazing IMAX theater near my house isn't even carrying it this week because it still has John fucking Carter. Such bullshit.

They need to put together some TV spots advertising that the IMAX showings will end on Thursday. I have a feeling it'd boost attendance over the weekdays

• Founder / Operator

Outside of Deathly Hallows 2, the highest adjusted weekend for a Potter film is $125m. The admissions for Hunger Games is going to top that by a fair amount.

The only Potter film that matters in the comparison is the 2001 first film because its the most comparable to Hunger Games at the moment (first films in a popular book franchise that had very high openings, as opposed to Twilight which didn't explode until the second film).

Potter set an all-time opening weekend record and went on to sell more tickets than Hunger is likely to in the end.

So...I'll reiterate...the question doesn't make much sense to me. Everyone is still assuming that Hunger will make more than $135-140 million this weekend and that's...very far from conclusive.

Edited by ShawnMR

Agreed. SOAP was a gimmick, Hunger Games is a product of actual substance that appeals to a lot of people.

What about Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World? Loads of internet hype and good reviews but only middling box office.

I'm so mad about THG IMAX situation. The amazing IMAX theater near my house isn't even carrying it this week because it still has John fucking Carter. Such bullshit.

It gets worse. It will lose all IMAX theaters on Thursday.

I hear you man. Here in Seattle, the only true IMAX is in the Pacific Science Center, and according to fandango, John Carter is still playing. I had to go to Bellevue's Lincoln Square "IMAX"... ugh.
  • Like 1

What about Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World? Loads of internet hype and good reviews but only middling box office.

Internet hype on nerd sites =/= social media hype (Twitter, Facebook, etc) Edited by Chewy

They need to put together some TV spots advertising that the IMAX showings will end on Thursday. I have a feeling it'd boost attendance over the weekdays

Is there any way, since it's doing such massive business, that theaters can decide to keep THG on their IMAX instead of switching to Wrath? Or because of a prior contact/agreement they have no choice?

• Founder / Operator

Way too niche. The only difference between them and SOAP was that they were actually good films embraced by their small audience. Edited by ShawnMR

Is there any way, since it's doing such massive business, that theaters can decide to keep THG on their IMAX instead of switching to Wrath? Or because of a prior contact/agreement they have no choice?

Pretty sure they have a contract with WB. They might be able to go back to THG after 2-3 weeks of Wrath (depending on the contract), but not sure if that's really realistic

• Founder / Operator

Yes and no. It depends on the contracts with the upcoming release (Wrath in this case), but IMAX theaters do often have the ability to reserve one or two showtimes for an older film if business is doing well. This happened notably with Star Trek back in '09 (IMAX theaters ran it simultaneously with Night at the Museum 2), and a couple of others since. Edited by ShawnMR

Dude, I didn't say that. I already suggested that the book sales and movie may have fed off each other, which is what I think did happen. But the books were already very popular beforehand, there's no denying that. THG was the #14 best-seller (USAToday) back in 2010.

THG is also one of the best-selling books in Kindle history (maybe THE most, now?).

And...THG didn't beat the OW of Potter. Not by much at least (in terms of tickets).

Da Vinci Code isn't a teenager/young adult book. It wasn't as front-loaded with young fans as THG is.

My misunderstanding then. It sounded to me like you were implying that the books were essentially all that drove THG's success, which wasn't making any sense to me. I completely agree that the book sales and movie probably fed off each other.

As for Potter 1, that adjusts to $125m OW, which THG will trump by at least $20m this weekend so it did beat SS by a decent amount even in tickets.

Edited by MovieMan89

• Founder / Operator

My misunderstanding then. It sounded to me like you were implying that the books were essentially all that drove THG's success, which wasn't making any sense to me. I completely agree that the book sales and movie probably fed off each other.

I think THG is a new breed of franchise. We're slowly shifting into an era where social media has changed the dynamic so much that movies and other properties live and die off each other, not just on their own. In this case, with books and vice versa.

As for Potter 1, that adjusts to $125m OW, which THG will trump by at least $20m this weekend so it did beat SS by a decent amount even in tickets.

That's speculation for now. There's no evidence yet of reaching $145 million, we don't even have early Saturday numbers yet. Let me remind everyone that back when New Moon's opening day came in, the talk became about how it might pass Spidey 3 and TDK ... until the Saturday estimates came in early Sunday morning. The same COULD (not "will") happen here, especially if THG follows' DH1's internal multiplier and tops out around $135 million or so.That being said, let us also remember that Potter 1 didn't have IMAX. So that has to be factored into the equation of adjustments. Beyond that, it was ten years ago. Movies were becoming front-loaded then, but midnights weren't anywhere near as popular and front-loading is even worse now. Its not an apples-to-apples comparison in that regard. Edited by ShawnMR

Pretty sure they have a contract with WB. They might be able to go back to THG after 2-3 weeks of Wrath (depending on the contract), but not sure if that's really realistic

The big IMAX here will be keeping Hunger Games, but it has the luxury of having two screens. It'll likely be as Shawn said for everywhere else, with 1 or 2 shows for HG and everything else reserved for Wrath.