kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

Yeah, oddly enough I am not as feeling as excited about TDKR or TH. TDK and LOTR happened so long ago I have become kind of numb. BTW, what's the OW and total run for Inception? That was a 2D movie as well, and the boards here were so hyped for that. But it seems like THG, which came out of nowhere is trumping even Inception on the BO.

Anymore sellout/theater reports guys? Haven't heard much from the west coast yet

Here in Seattle, things were absolutely nuts in the morning and afternoon. Evening shows aren't selling out nearly as quickly as Friday (probably due to presales being much stronger yesterday), but they're still selling out.

Yeah, oddly enough I am not as feeling as excited about TDKR or TH. TDK and LOTR happened so long ago I have become kind of numb. BTW, what's the OW and total run for Inception? That was a 2D movie as well, and the boards here were so hyped for that. But it seems like THG, which came out of nowhere is trumping even Inception on the BO.

$62.8m/$292.5mTHG obviously destroyed its ow, but won't be able to touch its legs. Edited by FTF

That will probably change when the second TDKR trailer is released. The Hobbit is still a long way away yet.

Here in Seattle, things were absolutely nuts in the morning and afternoon. Evening shows aren't selling out nearly as quickly as Friday (probably due to presales being much stronger yesterday), but they're still selling out.

Yeah, been hearing quite a few posts from people who were at big or small movie theatres and feedback is all the same. The girl on fire is still packing in the theatres. Saturday numbers are going to be soooo epic. I can't wait! :)

For what it's worth, I've got two totally unsubstantiated, completely back of the napkin theories on why THG has had this OW.1. A synergy effect between Twilight/Potter: Not perfect crossover. But those audiences grew up with two event franchises and were ready to embrace a 3rd when they got older which combined with the new young base THG enjoys. So it's base was actually larger than Potter/Twilight before you add in the 4 Quad. Maybe this is too obvious.2. The books: Not a new theory, but a new twist. Everyone talks about the volume of books. Tons of movies have had more books in print in print prior to a movie release than THG. I think timing is the more important factor. HELP had a high number of active readers in addition to big sales when it was released. TWILIGHT the same. But I'll bet if you could quantify it, THG had the highest volume of active readership in the 6 months prior to its release than any film in memory, maybe in history.

• Like 3

Anymore sellout/theater reports guys? Haven't heard much from the west coast yet

The Crazy theatre downtown has been selling out like crazy, and is operating literally at 100% capacity, yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow as well. My local theatre has been doing about 95% capacity business at every showing at least, and the concession lines were crazy, and so were the ticket lines. The older demographic takes up a bigger proportion today, and today is definitely doing better business than yesterday. Plus there are people lining up for showings 2 hours before they started to get good seats.

THG seemed to appeal to everybody, Inception looked complicated to many on the first glance.

The Crazy theatre downtown has been selling out like crazy, and is operating literally at 100% capacity, yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow as well.My local theatre has been doing about 95% capacity business at every showing at least, and the concession lines were crazy, and so were the ticket lines. The older demographic takes up a bigger proportion today, and today is definitely doing better business than yesterday. Plus there are people lining up for showings 2 hours before they started to get good seats.

Cool. That's very encouraging

$62.8m/$292.5mTHG obviously destroyed its ow, but won't be able to touch its legs.

Hmmm, Inception only did 292.5m in its entire total run? I was kinda expecting higher, given the huge hype over it here on the boards. Actually, THG should do better than 300m in its entire run. Quite a strong chance it does well over 300m, in fact.

There's not really much comparison between THG and INCEPTION. The latter was a completely original film aimed directly at an older audience (and a science-fiction audience to boot), the former is (obviously) based on an extremely popular series of young adult novels.Not to take anything away from THG's performance -- it's absolutely stunning and amazing -- but it had more favorable factors than INCEPTION (which, without checking the numbers, opened in the high 60s and finished in the 280s).

THG seemed to appeal to everybody, Inception looked complicated to many on the first glance.

Yeah, but for those who did go, it really did draw you back to want to go for at least a second time in theatres.

Hmmm, Inception only did 292.5m in its entire total run? I was kinda expecting higher, given the huge hype over it here on the boards. Actually, THG should do better than 300m in its entire run. Quite a strong chance it does well over 300m, in fact.

Of course THG will gross over $300m now, what I mean by legs is its multiplier off its ow, or its ow vs total gross percentage.

For what it's worth, I've got two totally unsubstantiated, completely back of the napkin theories on why THG has had this OW.1. A synergy effect between Twilight/Potter: Not perfect crossover. But those audiences grew up with two event franchises and were ready to embrace a 3rd when they got older which combined with the new young base THG enjoys. So it's base was actually larger than Potter/Twilight before you add in the 4 Quad. Maybe this is too obvious.2. The books: Not a new theory, but a new twist. Everyone talks about the volume of books. Tons of movies have had more books in print in print prior to a movie release than THG. I think timing is the more important factor. HELP had a high number of active readers in addition to big sales when it was released. TWILIGHT the same. But I'll bet if you could quantify it, THG had the highest volume of active readership in the 6 months prior to its release than any film in memory, maybe in history.

Hmmm, nice points. We won't really be able to determine active readership. But I think there was also a case of the movie and the book both feeding on each other. By the time the first HP movie came, just about everyone who was interested would have read the 1st book already. In the case of THG, the building hype on the movie increased the sales of the book, and that in turn also further increased the pre-hype of the movie itself. I think it also helped that the marketing for this was really really good. Intentionally leaving all the fight and arena scenes was an act of genius.

Yeah, but for those who did go, it really did draw you back to want to go for at least a second time in theatres.

Agreed. The quality of the movie was so good that the 'complicated story' became a plus point. I don't think many directors other than Nolan could have pulled this off.

Yeah, Inception is the only movie I've ever seen 4 times at the theaters. It quickly shot into my all-time favorites.