kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

Jaws and SW I can understand, but how can anyone bring up the other two? We don't even know how they opened.

I think he was talking about their runs overall compared to Hunger Games opening, which makes it even funnier. Anyway, I already went through the "impressiveness" debate earlier today with Shawn, and I don't feel like doing it again until we have Saturday numbers.

What was impressive about TITANIC's OW? It was solid, but nothing more.

Only shows that that list is a joke. I'm not even sure if he was talking about OW or total. AVATAR's total is more impressive, box office-wise and ticket sales-wise.

Neither of those is true -- it was a solid OW, which meant even if it just had a normal run, it would've lost money, but not be a debacle. The craziness only started with the second weekend.

That's to do with Titanic right?

Usually, for "ordinary" films the update comes 3-5 hours from now. But for a film like THG it should be earlier. She usually gives a range.

Yeh, for major films she's normally all over it!She's just been plain slack today!

Here's what Gitesh has in his archives regarding Titanic:

For the weekend, my projections were too conservative as Titanic and Tomorrow Never Dies went well beyond my forecasts of $14M and $16M respectively.

No way of knowing if the rest of the industry was thinking that, of course. On a side note, it's pretty hilarious to read his old blogs and see his estimated total for Titanic after each weekend. Edited by Biggestgeekever

Yeh, for major films she's normally all over it!She's just been plain slack today!

Lionsgate is probably still counting the money... They've never actually had this much money to count for a movie.... Legit. :D Edited by riczhang

Another omission from his list, DH2. I'm about as far from a Potter fan as it gets (just ask Noctis), but $91m opening day was ridiculous. At one point it looked like it might even hit $100m. Insane.

I think Filmbuff was referring to total runs and not just the OW.

Off topic: does everybody agree with Titanic doing 40ish? I feel like there's already a 3d backlash brewing and it will only get worse for an old property. I get younger audiences wanting to see the film in 3D, but I'm having trouble believing older audiences will be that excited about it.

Another omission from his list, DH2. I'm about as far from a Potter fan as it gets (just ask Noctis), but $91m opening day was ridiculous. At one point it looked like it might even hit $100m. Insane.

It really was. Admittedly though it seems decidedly less impressive when you consider none of the other all time OD holders had the 3D boost.

Maybe her name was picked for the 2012 HUNGER GAMES.Welcome, welcome, the time has come for Nikki Finke to meet her doom.
  • Like 1