kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

^^^ I agree with BJ. BD2 may very well top 300 million. Final installment of the series and a better boxoffice environment should help. Last fall was awful for all movies and everything suffered.As far as THG is concerned, I think it is time to take its tracking seriously. Based on the released numbers, it was only slightly behind TDK in overall interest and we know TDK did 533 million. It won't come near that number for a couple of reasons but 450 million is definitely a possibility now.

I dont think so. The movie would have to be TDK good to reach those levels and i dont think hype alone is gonna propell it there.

Very very impressive. My 145 OW and 380 Dom predictions are looking low now and I was criticized for being outlandish in my prediction.Also, screw Puerto Rico, HG needs to find some money not counted from District 13!!!

• Like 1

I dont think so. The movie would have to be TDK good to reach those levels and i dont think hype alone is gonna propell it there.

Have you seen the audience scores for this? Most people who have seen it are definitely talking about it and there is pretty to very good WoM. Now, it would be extremely hard pressed to reach TDK.....but we cannot rule out mid to high 400s

Also, another record HG has locked is the gap between 1st and 2nd place opening weekend films. TDK ironically has the record with being 130m more then Mama Mia.http://boxofficemojo...=opening&p=.htm

No, that's only if both movies opened and both were in first and second place. You'll have to look on the other chart.http://boxofficemojo...page=all&p=.htm Edited by lab276

I've been on my phone and unable to post... Feed me the crow, I'm flat out astounded by the Friday/Saturday number. Caught me way off guard and I was even apart of the hype machine (Reading the books, spreading the word, etc.)Regarding WOM: I have yet to talk to anyone in my area who watched it who hasn't told someone else that they HAVE to see it. So many people who haven't read the book have loved it. One guy at my work came in and said that's the first time he's ever stayed awake in a theater for an entire movie, him and his wife plan on seeing it again.I'm taking a group of 5 to see it today after church. This is the first movie to affect me mentally since The Dark Knight, and I'm a Potter loonie.

Hmmm, I didn't realise DH2 was so front loaded. With a record OW, it didn't do 400m? Then 400m for THG is by no means assured either. And 450m ... hard to contemplate at this point for now. :)

THG is going to be just as frontloaded as Potter. It might get more than a 2.2, but I don't think it will hit a 2.5. This is still a frontloaded rush with every fan of the book rushing out to see it. If it hits 250, I'll give it 350 mill max.

"THG is going to be just as frontloaded as Potter."It will be frontloaded like Potter but the Friday number and the Saturday number indicate it will not be as frontloaded as HP.so instead of 2.2 you could see 2.3 or 2.4...Frankly with a 2nd weekend that is going to over 60 million and likely around 250 million by next weekend.I am wondering where this will land.I think we need to remember that sure this a fanboy film but this is a first film...So we cannot automatically assume a first film because it opened so large will have the legs of a 8th film in a franchise.Frankly the fact it opened so large and opened quite well over the weekend indicate so far, legs will be better then HP.

Edited by Lordmandeep

"THG is going to be just as frontloaded as Potter."It will be frontloaded like Potter but the Friday number and the Saturday number indicate it will not be as frontloaded as HP.

Because we are in March, not in July. Edited by CJohn

"THG is going to be just as frontloaded as Potter."It will be frontloaded like Potter but the Friday number and the Saturday number indicate it will not be as frontloaded as HP.

I understand what you are saying but I just can't believe that there is only a finite amount of fans for this. It has to drop significantly next weekend. I'm not talking 70% or anything close to Twilight franchise. But a 60% drop would be very good for this. 65 seems logical, to me anyway.

that is true but as HP showed just because you get good weekdays usually mean weaker weekends in the summer.In march and May, weaker weekdays usually = bigger weekends."But a 60% drop would be very good for this. 65 seems logical, to me anyway."60% is a 62 million weekend or around 250 milion by Sunday.That puts around 20 million ahead of New Moon and around 20 million behind DH2 with a 2nd weekend that will around 15-20 million higher then those films...Just saying 300 million is not the target but around 330-380...

Edited by Lordmandeep