TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

I think a lot of people fell for the fake reactions last night. For some reason there were many of them, more than regular the fake praise a movie they haven´t seen to mock those who always praise MCU movies. Because the general consensus on Twitter that I´m seeing is that people think they were very positive. People are going to be shocked when that RT score drops and is lower than 70.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Harloff has been pretty harsh on MCU phase 4 so that´s something 

Are you still going? You are new here and are up to 50+ posts on this thread alone. Doom posting every single negative reaction as if its some breaking news. Give it a rest. Reactions are mixed. We get it. It is not the end of Marvel and it does not mean it wont open big anyway. I don't think prizes are handed out for thread bombing.

• Like 4

To the "well at least this sets up Kang as a threat" crew: there was nearly zero time spent attempting to make Thanos appear threatening until Infinity War. The first movie with an actual Thanos scene was a universally praised, cultural zeitgeist movie except for that one Thanos scene, which nobody even remembered happened in Guardians of the Galaxy. The movies matter, not the setups.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I feel like you can have a "both" reaction.

Avengers Phase 1 was simple - you knew you were introducing 4 main characters and they'd be the Avengers main team (with SHIELD add ons) - simple, easy, and a big, big bad gets named at the end while a stone gets fought over.

Phase 2 was still pretty easy b/c you got sequels of 3 of those 4, introducing a new hero in each one, and you introduced a single new team (Guardians) with another grand finale...and then the random Ant Movie finish.  Still very doable.  Still building to single big bad and stone gathering.

Phase 3 got big and epic, and goes nuts, but now everyone is so invested b/c the finale is coming.  Tons of new movies, new characters, sequels, zaniness, craziness...and the big 2 parter finishing it up (with a folllow on Spidey).  Phew.

Phase 4 was still so big and all over, but it didn't culminate to anything as you tried to track so many new and old characters and teams, but they didn't ever come together - Wanda, Loki, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Moonknight, Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, The Eternals, Shang Chi, Wakanda, Thor, Dr Strange, Spidey, Black Widow, etc, etc, etc.  Most of the movies weren't on par with any of the previous phases' quality.  Now, it seems like all that work was for nothing as in "what was the point."

And now Phase 5 - we haven't paired anything down.  We can't seem to tell when the D+ matters or when it gets ignored or when it assumes you know stuff, but only certain stuff (MoM was such a huge issue for this one in Phase 4, and Ant Man may be for Phase 5 if Scott is on point)...and we're supposed to get EVEN MORE new characters and teams and stuff, but at least we finally have 1 villain to build to, but he has like 1000 versions of himself.

If I had to diagnose post Phase 3 Marvel malaise, it was the inability of Disney to say no to immediate and midterm huge sums of money.  If I had written Phase 4, it would have had a much more similar concept to Phase 1 - introduce a few folks who will matter to a small arc, make their movies, and make their arc the closing "team" arc.  Grow Phase 5 from there and then have Phase 6 as a big blow out.  Maybe it would have made sense to build (with Spidey, since you had him) to a Young Avengers arc with a doable problem for them.  Maybe it would have made sense to build to "one last team up" with the old crew bringing in a few new crew.  Maybe it would have made sense to build a 4a and 4b for Earth and space and build a group of heroes to conquer each one.  I don't know.  I don't make the big decisions, but the decisions made for Phase 4 were bad ones.

Phase 4 has brought malaise to a large part of the fan base who are now in the "wait for D+" category.  Can they be replaced?  Sure.  But it always takes more to bring a customer in than to keep one.  And Phase 4 has started the slow, slow drip of losing them...

I think another potential problem is that the Multiverse Saga may have went too big too soon with NWH. It definitely contributed to people feeling disappointed by MoM. 

12 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Are you still going? You are new here and are up to 50+ posts on this thread alone. Doom posting every single negative reaction as if its some breaking news. Give it a rest. Reactions are mixed. We get it. It is not the end of Marvel and it does not mean it wont open big anyway. I don't think prizes are handed out for thread bombing.

1. I have been active on this forum since November, so yeah fairly new but been here a few months. Not sure what you´re trying to imply here.

2. I have posted literally several positive reactions alongside negative reaction and if you look at my post before the reactions many of them very positive or "non" negative. 

3. I am allowed to express opinion here that raises concerns etc. without it being labeled "doomposting". Last time I checked everything I have posted has been done with respect. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

43 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I think a lot of people fell for the fake reactions last night. For some reason there were many of them, more than regular the fake praise a movie they haven´t seen to mock those who always praise MCU movies. Because the general consensus on Twitter that I´m seeing is that people think they were very positive. People are going to be shocked when that RT score drops and is lower than 70.

I don't think anyone on this thread would be too shocked with a RT score lower than 70.

The general consensus has been 60-70% with a chance at going rotten

Even on r/marvelstudios I've seen some skeptical users 

Edited by TheFlatLannister

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

I don't think anyone on this thread would be too shocked with a RT score lower than 70.

The general consensus has been 60-70% with a chance at going rotten

In that comment I was more referring to fans on on social media etc. Here I agree most seems to be in agreement where it will go.

23 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Its live action anime and manga adaptations. im serious here. 

Doubt it a bit if we are talking shounen. Inbuilt fanbase yes but adapting that particular brand of writing, tropes to western sensibilities won't necessarily work imo in live action. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jking123 said:

Doubt it a bit if we are talking shounen. Inbuilt fanbase yes but adapting that particular brand of writing, tropes to western sensibilities won't necessarily work imo in live action. 

There some more mature series that could work... Hellsing comes to mind ( for those unaware Hellsing is a series where Dracula fights nazis in the modern day  as a member of kingsman-esqe group.) 

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Hmmm anime is getting mainstream in the US and has a strong holding OS but I don't know if that's enough to replicate what the MCU did 2012-2021. Video game adaptations feel like the future to me 

I feel like there is room for both. 

Well that was truly a movie... I found it almost kind of boring and the last act was a bit messy. I feel like Rudd was kind of phoning it in. Majors and Pfeiffer were solid. Some really impressive VFX work went into it. It's definitely not the third film of the Ant-Man trilogy but rather it plays itself as a starting point. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1