TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I am not even a big fan of the first movie. , Thought it was a decent watch, , Probably will watch it again before this comes out. But the way some around here seem to want or are trying to will this into being a big underperformer is weird. A large audience loved the first one and their is no reason to think they will not do the same with this and Lady Gaga might bring in a audience that did not love or see the first one in a theater.

I just want to point out that i don't WANT this movie to underperform, I just think it might

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Why is this movie actually getting interesting lol

Todd Phillips on the reported budget:

The first film cost $60 million, and though Phillips admits “Folie à Deux” was much more expensive, he says reports of its budget hitting $200 million are “absurd.”

On why Phillips "struggles with the idea of labeling “Joker: Folie à Deux” a musical":

"Most of the music in the movie is really just dialogue,” Phillips says. “It’s just Arthur not having the words to say what he wants to say, so he sings them instead.”

Phillips hasn’t quite landed on the proper way to categorize it yet. “I just don’t want people to think that it’s like ‘In the Heights,’ where the lady in the bodega starts to sing and they take it out onto the street, and the police are dancing,” he says, pointing out that most of the musical numbers exist in Arthur and Lee’s warped imaginations. “No disrespect, because I loved ‘In the Heights.’”

That's still a musical lol. But they want the bros to show up, I get it...

In many musicals, actors will sing along to a pre- recorded track. In this film, Phoenix and Gaga did everything live, accompanied by a piano player who performed off-camera, trying to keep up with whatever tempo they established. In the editing room, Phillips then tried to sync the radically different takes into a coherent whole, something that he describes as a “nightmare.”

Phillips on whether Joaquin and Gaga went "full Method" on set:

“I don’t even really know what Method means,” Phillips says. “Does he take it seriously? Does she take it seriously? Hell, yeah. But he doesn’t stay in character 24 hours a day. With her, I’d say she does a lot more of that than he does. But as a director, I’m in favor of whatever it takes to get them to the place they need to be.”

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Todd Phillips on the reported budget:

On why Phillips "struggles with the idea of labeling “Joker: Folie à Deux” a musical":

That's still a musical lol. But they want the bros to show up, I get it...

Phillips on whether Joaquin and Gaga went "full Method" on set:

Im kind of obsessed with this method of selling the musical by pretending that the definition of a musical has changed. If the bros enjoy it they can rest easy knowing it's not a real musical, all that's left is him making up some new word that they can call it to sell to their friends who insist they'll never watch a musical. Call it an experimental deep dive into the mind of the unwell or something. We need a flashy word for that. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It’s a standalone single. 

Oh that's random, cuz the title is so Joker-coded. But I guess it's smart to get her back out there musically just for exposure especially since she's not the type to date famous people etc to stay in the spotlight. 

7 hours ago, wattage said:

Im kind of obsessed with this method of selling the musical by pretending that the definition of a musical has changed. If the bros enjoy it they can rest easy knowing it's not a real musical, all that's left is him making up some new word that they can call it to sell to their friends who insist they'll never watch a musical. Call it an experimental deep dive into the mind of the unwell or something. We need a flashy word for that. 

It's so absurd. You have these people online who loudly hate musicals because of the lack of "realism". If they were all about stuff like Mike Leigh and Kelly Reichardt films, okay. But you know they're just stanning every other CGI-fest action/superhero/fantasy movie.

And their definition of the genre is pretty narrow. "Musicals" to them are sung-through, or only target female audiences, and all the Disney animated classics don't count as musicals in their minds for...reasons. Their definition conveniently excludes any musical movie they actually might have liked. They just really want the world to know they hate that "theatre kid" crap.

Also, if Harley and Joker are fantasizing anyway, then why wouldn't they imagine themselves having good/great voices? Maybe because the lack of polish will seem more "real" to the anti-musical bros: "It's not a musical, it's a drama with occasional expressive singing!" "Come see the mansical (it won't lower your T-levels, we promise)!"

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4
  • Heart 2

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe because the lack of polish will seem more "real" to the anti-musical bros: "It's not a musical, it's a drama with occasional expressive singing!" "Come see the mansical (it won't lower your T-levels, we promise)!"

Todd did an annoyingly good job at positioning the last movie as not a real comic book movie to expand the audience to people who just reflexively say they don't like that genre of film. So he's just doing the same thing again but for musicals. Basically exactly this is happening but he's trying to be understated about it. Understated to the people who hate musicals and everything they like isn't a musical at least, to the rest of us it's extremely on the nose but hes not trying to speak to us with these silly statements.

it doesn't matter that he verbatim said the definition of what a musical is and then said it's not a musical. The people he's appealing to don't even know the definition of one! 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's so absurd. You have these people online who hate loudly musicals because of the lack of "realism". If they were all about stuff like Mike Leigh and Kelly Reichardt films, okay. But you know they're just stanning every other CGI-fest action/superhero/fantasy movie.

And their definition of the genre is pretty narrow. "Musicals" to them are sung-through, or only target female audiences, and all the Disney animated classics don't count as musicals in their minds for...reasons. Their definition conveniently excludes any musical movie they actually might have liked. They just really want the world to know they hate that "theatre kid" crap.

Also, if Harley and Joker are fantasizing anyway, then why wouldn't they imagine themselves having good/great voices? Maybe because the lack of polish will seem more "real" to the anti-musical bros: "It's not a musical, it's a drama with occasional expressive singing!" "Come see the mansical (it won't lower your T-levels, we promise)!"

Wish I could like this twice. Gotta suck to be too insecure in your masculinity and hate musicals.

• Like 2

First Todd is ashamed of the medium his biggest film came from and now he's ashamed of the genre of the works this sequel was inspired by lmao.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

Wish I could like this twice. Gotta suck to be too insecure in your masculinity and hate musicals.

Imagine showing those dudes Annette and seeing how they react.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's so absurd. You have these people online who hate loudly musicals because of the lack of "realism". If they were all about stuff like Mike Leigh and Kelly Reichardt films, okay. But you know they're just stanning every other CGI-fest action/superhero/fantasy movie.

I mean the only good musicals actually have polish. If Todd Phillips pulled a Les Miserables ( the Tom Hooper film.) I'm going to hate it 

About this movie not being a musical. I just remembered the tv series Ally McBeal. Sometimes they would have musical parts/break into dance. singing. But the series was not categorized as a musical, but drama/comedy. So maybe that's what Todd wants to say

Edited by Maggie

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

About this movie not being a musical. I just remembered the tv series Ally McBeal. Sometimes they would have musical parts/break into dance. singing. But the series was not categorized as a musical, but drama/comedy. So maybe that's what Todd wants to say

Because in an hour episode they usually did it only once and not every episode.   If they did it  3 or 4 times an hour it would have been a musical.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Because in an hour episode they usually did it only once and not every episode.   If they did it  3 or 4 times an hour it would have been a musical.

That's true. Do we know how many songs are performed in this movie?

6 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Perhaps a fuller "pandemic adjustment" model would disprove this but to my eyes, House of Gucci was by far the best performing "adult" focused movie from the early pandemic.

the Joker is barely in the theatrical release of Suicide Squad so if people simply came to see it, they would have left disappointed. The question of how big HQ is as a stand alone character is a somewhat open one but SS was a 2 handed star vehicle staring Smith and Robbie (whose next film, bombed despite being a fun 3.5/5 star caper). 

And, frankly, the Joker in Suicide Squad was pretty badly received. And Harley was the main thing about that movie most people liked.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Well, if a musical had to be "sung through" like a opera. then "Singing In the Rain" 
'Wizard of OZ" "West Side Story" and "SOund of Music" are not musicals.

Yeah, Phillip's whole 'Not labelling this a musical because most it is dialouge " is Pretty lame since all of the above movies are more dialogue then songs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YM! said:

First Todd is ashamed of the medium his biggest film came from and now he's ashamed of the genre of the works this sequel was inspired by lmao.

Yeah, my respect for Phillips just went down a little with that silliness which fools nobody.

It is a Musical, and trying to hide that fact is stupid.