TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Well I don't think is spoiler to say according to a letterboxd review there is actually an original Song (probably they made It at least One to get an original Song nominee) but you don't notice It cause is there between a big mix of old tunes so doesn't shine that much. Most people didn't even notice is original 

Disappointing.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Why not? Aside Barbie, everything else looks feasible. Wakanda Forever is stronger domestically, but much weaker overseas. Love and Thunder, Guardians 3 and The Batman global debutes are nothing special, The Batman opened on par with first Joker. ~350M assuming it gets China release this time.

A 42% jump from Joker 2019 OW is almost impossible. There is no substantial draw like Hugh Jackman or Tobey Maguire that would bring such a massive number of people out OW. 

Deadpool 2 to 3 saw a 47% jump OW WW. I don't see how Joker 2 gets anywhere near that type of jump. 

I think it's very odd to say it was a foregone conclusion that this would drop. A lot of sequel drops being brought up and all of them are moved that are noticeably worse than their predecessor, being absolutely nothing new to the table and are just a tired retread, or are Alice in Wonderland that was barely a good movie in the first place but got a huge 3D bump from some luck on timing. This looks like it'll have a drop because it's going to be a mediocre sequel. If the movie was well received with a higher RT score we wouldn't be having this conversation. It would've been a sky's the limit if it swung for the fences and actually hit it. 

Unfortunate that Todd Phillips seemingly couldn't hit a home run on this but it is what it is. Unless the RT score goes down there's no reason to assume it's going to affect the OW in any significant way, it's all up to reception at that's where things get shaky. We'll just wait and see how it goes after it opens. That's all we can do.

Edited by wattage

I always assumed a drop was a pretty likely possibility. The first movie had the novelty factor behind it (and since this apparently needs to be stressed, I specifically mean it was a novelty as far as movies based on superhero comics are concerned) and had an unprecedented cultural movement behind it. The media wouldn’t shut up about how “dangerous” the movie was, which I think got a number of people curious to see what the fuss was about. 

Of course, this film isn’t out for another month, so it’s obviously too early to make judgements about how it’ll perform compared to its predecessor. 

43 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

A 42% jump from Joker 2019 OW is almost impossible. There is no substantial draw like Hugh Jackman or Tobey Maguire that would bring such a massive number of people out OW. 

Deadpool 2 to 3 saw a 47% jump OW WW. I don't see how Joker 2 gets anywhere near that type of jump. 

Inflation + the fact that the first one underperformed domestically a bit compared to the rest of the world because of "incel attack" nonsense. I see something like 150 DOM + 200 OS as the best case scenario, with overseas boosted by China. I don't think legs are gonna be as good as the first one's, but I also don't think it'll crash and burn after first weekend.

• Like 1

FWIW even with the increased budget, this could drop $100M from the previous movie domestic + make $300M overseas and that would still put it in "financial success" territory. That's how much the first overperformed. It likely even drew in a demo that wouldn't have given it the time of day otherwise (and with the colder reception this is receiving, probably won't be returning 5 years later).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I don't agree that much (i often i agree with you so It's strange). 😄. It's typical for a sequel of a movie became cult and "a movie everyone saw" in the months- years after the release to make a very bigger debut than the first chapter even without new big factors. Then legs are often worse but  I see joker 2 like a Shrek 2 or Pirates of the carribean 2.

I would say also Matrix. First movie was big but not that very huge and the sequel opened big.

In some cases "joker is back, Shrek is back and Neo Is back" is enough even without new shocking factors or characters. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Been preaching this for the past months

The Office Thank You GIF

I think some people here  are so commitied to the idea this was going to be a billion dollar film they just cannot give it up.

I always saw this as a possibly going either way; It all depened onhow well Philips was able to pull off making this a musical.

You make decision that risky you had damn well get a home run with the reception. He seems not to have done that.

Oh, it will  still be a sucess but it not going to be the kind of Cash Cow  WB was hoping for.

Between this and what happened with Indy 5, I suspect studios ar going to be really more cautious about bringing big budget genre films to festivals from n ow on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lory88 said:

So they are all stock songs, no new hits. This is very disappointing. You call Lady Gaga and you don't have her compose new music!?

Uh a few good musicals have been "Jukebox Musicals" Ever hear of "Singing In the Rain" and "An American In Paris"?

Rain only had one new song "Make them Laugh" and Paris none.

Or, more recently, "Mama Mia".

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Even Fugitive had really troubled production. It definitely did not work with finished script. 

This is more common than not. 

The great  screenwriter William Goldman has some interesting stories about rewriting during production.There is a reason why thw writers usually are wherever the director is.

Of course the way this has gone from a sure fire billion dollar baby to one who might not do half that is more proof of  Goldman's most famous statement about what over 30 years in the film industry taught him:

Nobody Knows Nothing.

13 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk if spoilers are allowed in spoiler tags yet but just found out that this movie includes a song that’s just completely nonsensical of them to include. Like, just that one choice kinda ruined any hope I had this would at least be interesting

If you meant 

Spoiler

That' Entertainment

It just offers more proof for my opinion that a lot of the musical numbers are going to be Phillips homage to the CLassic Hollywood Musicals. We know that a classic Judy Garland number "Get Happy" will be homaged because Lady Gaga sings it in a trailer.

And, of course, a lot of this will gover the heads of some viewers who have never seen one of the classic MGM musicals.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:11 PM, justnumbers said:

Yeah. Critics didn't like the 1st either. They won't like this one.

69% (with a 7.3/10) average rating doesn't qualify as "didn't like." And 7.3 is pretty damn solid, this isn't like Aquaman which had a similar RT (65%) but a much lower average rating (6.0).

Though I guess a score in the 60s is the perfect sweet spot where people can either spin it as "this movie got positive reviews" or "this movie got mid/bad reviews"

Edited by HummingLemon496

7 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Gaga will carry it to $150M.

• Like 2