TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think they really thought Gaga was enough of a hook to ensure the grosses wouldn't fall, and to be fair, there was a lot of buzz surrounding her casting when she was first announced. They just weren't able to sustain that momentum up until the release of the movie, it seems. Like, are even her devoted stans excited for this? Felt like there was more passion from her fan base when House of Gucci was being released. But even if this fails, no one's gonna pin it on her, WB and Todd Phillips will be the ones who receive the overwhelming majority of the blame.

Lot of Gaga stans are now disappointed after finding out that Gaga has a small role in this when we were all sure she would have been co-lead for how they marketed everything, lot of reviews have been pointed out how they wasted her despite her performance being good, Philips cut several scenes with her, even one that is on the trailer. 

This is turning off lot of Gaga fans but the majority are still going to support the movie, but this is not a concert for us where people have to buy immediately in advance otherwise they finish, lot are going to buy tickets at the last minute or close to release.

5 minutes ago, Opium said:

The one out of the courthouse where they both raise their leg on the stairs.

Damn, that's weird, it was featured in every trailer as this money shot, it would be strange to cut it since the movie was supposedly finished before they released first trailer.

Some time ago I saw a lot of angry responses on twitter to Fillips comments about Gaga's character Lee, something about her having nothing in common with comics' Harley Quinn. I guess it will hurt the movie to some degree. People empraced new take on Joker in 2019, but maybe all those liberties got tiresome 

7 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Some time ago I saw a lot of angry responses on twitter to Fillips comments about Gaga's character Lee, something about her having nothing in common with comics' Harley Quinn. I guess it will hurt the movie to some degree. People empraced new take on Joker in 2019, but maybe all those liberties got tiresome 

I hate comic book nerds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

This movie is going to do what the first should have done because shhhhh it wasn't that good. Did I say that out loud?

Nah, it was better than many cbms of the last decade, so idk what's your point. If any movie deserved its billion it's this one, not some extremely generic slope with blue beams in the sky, AI directing and CGI fights.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Some of the doomposting going on reminds me of when people were predicting “Aladdin 2019 under Prince of Persia DOM/WW” a few years ago. We all know how that turned out.

Now granted, do I think this will do Aladdin numbers? No, I’m thinking 75/240 run right now. But I’m just waiting for people to start predicting something crazy like under Blue Beetle lol.

Very improbable that it’s going to leg out that much if it opens to just 70. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Nah, it was better than many cbms of the last decade, so idk what's your point. If any movie deserved its billion it's this one, not some extremely generic slope with blue beams in the sky, AI directing and CGI fights.

Are you sure you and firepower are not the same person? Serious question 

Edited by cinema pal
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

I liked Shazam better... fight me.

I don’t really get why we’re surprised that it’s poised to do a lot worse.

The OG joker is just some normal ass movie that acted as if it were a masterpiece, and if it were a standalone original project, not wearing the flayed skin of a massive IP for attention, the few people who still would’ve gone to see it would’ve likely seen right through it. It made people who watch movies with jokes and fights feel smart for watching something that didn’t involve jokes or fights 

The main audience for the first movie was just normal people who really only went to see it cus it was about a popular superhero character. Joker 2 is not only seemingly embarrassed about being related to the superhero genre, it’s also basically a jukebox musical. It’s essentially alienating half of the first movie’s audience with its premise alone. 

With the budget it has, it ain’t gonna flop, but it’ll surely preform way below WB and Zaslav’s expectations.

Edited by CheeseWizard
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I liked Shazam better... fight me.

Mmmm... Ok? I didn't like it, it was so generic I don't remember what it was even about.

24 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Are you sure you and firepower are not the same person? Series question 

Yes, he's literally meee.

41 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Well I kinda hate filmmakers who rip off huge IPs and make joker movies in name only 🙃

Like Reeves with The Batman?

10 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

also basically a jukebox musical

I thought they chose the easy way -  to fill the movie with hits, just like Moulin rouge did, but now I looked at the song list and ....I don't know what to say. Yeah, I'm not from US and I'm not very familiar with old music, but still weird to realise I don't know any of them.

• Like 1

A sequel to Joker sounded aggressively stupid creatively from the start, even before choosing to hard pivot it into some silly musical hybrid. You needed someone a lot more competent than Todd Phillips in order to pull it off. I am surprised it's struggling with pre-sales right out of the gate though, I thought it would at least have a strong OW.

Edited by judestar619
  • Like 1