TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

Not gonna happen. Both are panned and extremely front-loaded. This one is divisive, but not panned and has factors that will smooth its legs like musical aspect (musicals tend to have good legs from my memory) and healthy share of female audience because of romance angle and Gaga.

viralwigs-gifs-viralwigs-gifs-well-sorta

On 9/6/2024 at 8:42 PM, Avatree said:

i love lady gaga but what the heck is with the House of Pigeons stans on here claiming it was a success????????

it performed poorly at the box office and was received poorly by both audiences and critics

On 9/6/2024 at 5:58 PM, OncomingStorm93 said:

How big of a draw is Gaga, really? She’s a decade past peak popularity. A Star Is Born was 6 years ago, her last album was 4 years ago, and it’s not like she made House of Gucci a hit, and she was the top-billed star.

UoV64Tq.png

yoOC4gy.png

Edited by Opium
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, joselowe said:

You do realize that Gaga's turn in A Star is Born was the 4th remake of the film and EVERY version of ASIB was a hit with Oscar noms. Streisand's 1976 version was the 2nd highest grossing movie of 1976 and won her an Oscar in the exact same category as Gaga.

Bradley and Streisand were originally going to hire Beyonce for the film until she got pregnant and dropped out. But the film would've been a hit no matter who would've starred in it.

Embed-MAG-1018-Letter-from-LA.png

Every single version of ASIB was a box office hit and got Oscar noms

paul-williams-star-born-1977a.jpg?qualit

Joker 2 is going to be a hit with or without Gaga

What kind of dumb logic is this, a remake of a good movie doesn't automatically be good as well, tones of remakes have been panned or a flop, Bradley Cooper was the first time directing a movie and Gaga debuting in a movie, majority of people were saying it would have been a Razzie festival like it happened to majority of popstars transitioning into acting the past decades, now suddenly the success was automatic because of the previous remakes.

Please be serious.

Edited by Opium

23 hours ago, dudalb said:

Gaga was just following in the footsteps of Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand there.

As if it's an easy feat, Meghan Trainor and Paris Hilton could have done it easily as well right.

Let's not forget Gaga composed 'Shallow' and majority of the ASIB soundtrack, people who said that everybody starring on it would have given the same success, they're extremely delusional.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, joselowe said:

Bradley and Streisand were originally going to hire Beyonce for the film until she got pregnant and dropped out. But the film would've been a hit no matter who would've starred in it.

Last time Beyoncé was on screen (Obsessed movie) she was straighfully panned and ended up with a Razzie nomination who prevented her to act on screen since then, let's not even mention when in 'Dreamgirls' she has been outshined by the supporting actress Hudson who ended up winning the awards that year (meanwhile Beyoncé couldn't even get in SAG or BAFTA) or should I mention when for the same movie the Oscars rejected her candidature in 'Original Song' song category because she didn't contribute enough to the lyrics of the song (since she notoriusly uses thousands of writers and ghostwriters for her songs).

So no, not everybody would have worked the same for ASIB, not everybody could have getting an acting Oscar nomination like Gaga did or compose 'Shallow' and the rest of the soundtrack.

Moderation

@Opium Welcome to the forums. Please do not antagonize or attack other users as “delusional” or “trolls”. This is beyond mean and beyond unnecessary. Treat your fellow BOT members with respect.

We also don’t do this stan wars stuff you’re seemingly doing with Gaga vs. Beyoncé, Meghan Trainor, Paris Hilton, etc. We support all women and don’t drag others down. Thank you.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Moderation

@Opium Welcome to the forums. Please do not antagonize or attack other users as “delusional” or “trolls”. This is beyond mean and beyond unnecessary. Treat your fellow BOT members with respect.

We also don’t do this stan wars stuff you’re seemingly doing with Gaga vs. Beyoncé, Meghan Trainor, Paris Hilton, etc. We support all women and don’t drag others down. Thank you.

Thank you, just wanted to clarify mines weren't "personal attack" to the member I quoted that I don't even know but to the post-thought-argument, if I call a logic used in an argument dumb, I'm not saying the user is dumb, it's referred to the reasoning used in such post or if I say to 'stop trolling' because it's blatant from the kind of post.

That's fine for me, but supporting all women should be apply also when certain posts are purposely made with the intent to downplay the achievements of a female artist saying that everyone could have had the same result in her place, when we all know things don't work automatically this way in the entertaining industry (and not only), so I couldn't stay silent over such superficial and silly takes.

Edited by Opium

The reviews are not perfect but some of you are acting like it got Borderlands reviews. This is locked to open +$100m and I would say $120-140m OW is a realistic prediction. However, we'll se if fans, or more importantly, general audience likes this movie, that will be crucial for reaching $1b. Reading the reviews, I don't know if this movie is what the fans of the first one are looking for but the OW WW will be so big that the worse case might have another Multiverse of Madness/Love and Thunder situation and still reaches $750-900m WW with really mediocre legs...

• Like 3

I still constantly see avatars with Fleck's Joker in the most random places of the internet on the most random topics. Some people really pay too much attention to those reviews. It would open big even with Boderlands reviews, but it's nowhere near those, RT will be fresh when pre-sales start, if anyone even cares.

• Like 2

The Italian and International press rated this #6 between all the movies in the competition, I guess it can't be that bad in order to get that result, for instance it has a similar score of 'The Brutalist' that is 89 on Metacritic or higher than Nicole Kidman's movie that is in the 80s as well on MC, so far the reactions have been all over the place and totally divisive, which was expected for this kind of movie, there are people reviews who liked this better than the first, I think the audience at the end will still want to check on this based on curiosity-hype from the first one and make a judgement for themselves.

pAenfSS.jpg

• Like 1

What nobody is talking about is the 5 year gap between films. This is obviously outside of the Hollywood pre Covid norm. it is not fast enough to capitalize on the existing momentum, but not long enough for it feel nostalgic. 

Get ready for more as Hollywood has been far too slow to get Holland Spider-Man 4, Top Gun 3, Barbie 2, Spider-verse 3, The Batman 2, etc fast tracked. 

3 hours ago, AN9815 said:

The reviews are not perfect but some of you are acting like it got Borderlands reviews. This is locked to open +$100m and I would say $120-140m OW is a realistic prediction. However, we'll se if fans, or more importantly, general audience likes this movie, that will be crucial for reaching $1b. Reading the reviews, I don't know if this movie is what the fans of the first one are looking for but the OW WW will be so big that the worse case might have another Multiverse of Madness/Love and Thunder situation and still reaches $750-900m WW with really mediocre legs...

I've been out of the loop.  Is there data to support the OW numbers you're throwing around or is this your personal opinion? 

Would definitely take "opening below Beetlejuice" at this point. Buzz for this just feels so much more anemic compared to the first movie at the same point in time. Waiting to see what the early sales look like, but for now, I think we're looking at an IT 1/2-style drop-off here (and honestly, that's feeling optimistic).

• Like 1