Eric Duncan

Jackass Forever | Paramount | February 4, 2022

Gotta say, did not see this of all things becoming a points of contention 😂

The last entry was 12 years ago. Many board members were literal middle schoolers at the time and not following BO. Now in one sense that's the exact jackass target demo, but on the other hand almost all of these people were middle school nerds which is like the antithesis of the target demo. If you weren't following BO in 2010 and aren't a stunt comedy fan there's really no reason why you would ever have heard of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

They track box office and are unaware of a franchise where the last 2 movies made over 150m worldwide therefore making it one of the biggest comedy franchises behind only Hangover, Rush Hour and Meet the Parents?

I am still waiting to hear your thoughts on Gadar bruh. Then we move to stuff like Hera Pheri, Indra The Tiger, Pokiri, Nayak, etc

• Like 1

Also, 150M is puny. 3D was the highest performing one at what, like barely top 25 of the year or so? It's not like the movies are big enough that you would should just know them by their box office legend or something.

Edited by Product Driven Legion
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Gotta say, did not see this of all things becoming a points of contention 😂

The last entry was 12 years ago. Many board members were literal middle schoolers at the time and not following BO. Now in one sense that's the exact jackass target demo, but on the other hand almost all of these people were middle school nerds which is like the antithesis of the target demo. If you weren't following BO in 2010 and aren't a stunt comedy fan there's really no reason why you would ever have heard of it.

This makes literally no sense.. but sense to you is apparently configuring every cent Spiderman made on Tuesday between 1pm-3pm

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Things I was not expecting today: Jackass causing discourse 😅 the most famous Jackass got was back in 02, there was definitely some moral panic about it when the movie came out, but once that died down it was popular with its core, but not much else. But its also not a franchise that people obsess over hence why must of the younger crew won't know about it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Also, 150M is puny. 3D was the highest performing one at what, like barely top 25 of the year or so? It's not like the movies are big enough that you would should just know them by their box office legend or something.

150 is not puny for an R-rated comedy. That's asinine. It was very rare back then until Hangover and Ted took it next level.. again, something someone who follows box office... should know?

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

150 is not puny for an R-rated comedy. That's asinine. It was very rare back then until Hangover and Ted took it next level.. again, something someone who follows box office... should know?

You seem to think following box office means needing to care about every movie, even ones basically making pennies. I assure you, this is very much not the case. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Things I was not expecting today: Jackass causing discourse 😅 the most famous Jackass got was back in 02, there was definitely some moral panic about it when the movie came out, but once that died down it was popular with its core, but not much else. But its also not a franchise that people obsess over hence why must of the younger crew won't know about it. 

Every sequel grossed subsequently more so they were more popular than with its core unless you think the core.. grew?

All I'm saying is that it's so annoying to come here, what's supposed to be a site for movies and business, and constantly see endless focus on specific movies (aka Marvel or Disney) or uneducated broad statements which instead does a disservice and undervalues other genres which have potential to surprise  (if they're a franchise or sleeper, etc) due to a complete lack of knowledge. Especially when proper trends and comps can be made to better analyze the marketplace. Happens all the time, remember Dune? I mean, if BoxOffice pro projections are correct a 26m OW would be top 16 opener of 2021 and 3rd highest 3 day since Encanto behind Spiderman and Scream. Seems noteworthy.

But Legion posting about how Spiderman can top Avatar takes more precedent, I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Every sequel grossed subsequently more so they were more popular than with its core unless you think the core.. grew?

All I'm saying is that it's so annoying to come here, what's supposed to be a site for movies and business, and constantly see endless focus on specific movies (aka Marvel or Disney) or uneducated broad statements which instead does a disservice and undervalues other genres which have potential to surprise  (if they're a franchise or sleeper, etc) due to a complete lack of knowledge. Especially when proper trends and comps can be made to better analyze the marketplace. Happens all the time, remember Dune? I mean, if BoxOffice pro projections are correct a 26m OW would be top 16 opener of 2021 and 3rd highest 3 day since Encanto behind Spiderman and Scream. Seems noteworthy.

But Legion posting about how Spiderman can top Avatar takes more precedent, I guess.

I don't think anyone really causing you pain over whether Jackass will make $0 or $20M or $100M next weekend. The point of discussion is you think everyone on earth "not living under rock" knows about Jackass. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

They track box office and are unaware of a franchise where the last 2 movies made over 150m worldwide each therefore making it one of the biggest comedy franchises behind only Hangover, Rush Hour and Meet the Parents?

@Product Driven Legion and @SchumacherFTW already touched upon this but let me expand and give you my own example and maybe you can understand and drop this thing. 

I am from India and till about mid 00 decade the only Hollywood content I was aware of was the things that got big in India. Things like Titanic, Home Alone, Harry Potter, LoTR. I moved to Canada in latter part of 00 decade for studies and got into more Hollywood content but even then mostly limited to big franchises and bug blockbusters (TDK, HP and the likes). The only reason I joined BOM forums back then was because I was obsessed with Harry Potter and wanted it to do big BO numbers and wanted to see how its movies were doing on a daily basis. When HP ended around 2012 I stuck around BOT to see how my new favourite movies were doing. Even then I was only interested in BO of a few favourite movies and did not participate in the forums (much if at all). I only started getting into more and more Hollywood content and their BO around 2015 or so. All the jackass movies were already in the past by this point so there was no reason for me to know or care about these movies or their BO. And its not like their BO or cultural impact (at least from my perspective) was on the level of past big blockbusters that I would know about them either. The same can be a case for a lot of people, especially those not from US like me. 

I can understand being indignant about a movie fan not knowing about movies like The Godfather or Citizen Kane and the likes but being this pretentious about Jackass of all things is ludicrous. It’s not like you know of all mid tier movies from India (like Charlie asked) or Japan, Germany, France, etc. Not knowing them does not make you any less of a movie fan. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If it's not obvious why a new entry in Dom top 3 is more exciting than a movie opening 10% of a recent OW, don't really know what more to say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Just ignore this kind of posts its not that hard,talk about what you want and let the others do the same what are you doing is just annoying at this point  , again you can easily ignore this kind of posts.

Edited by john2000

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think anyone really causing you pain over whether Jackass will make $0 or $20M or $100M next weekend. The point of discussion is you think everyone on earth "not living under rock" knows about Jackass. 

It's not a matter of being pretentious or in "pain". (Liking movies doesn't make anyone "pretentious" either.) I just think it's foolish and a cultural blindspot to be unaware of a big franchise from a big studio, that's all. Especially if you're someone who frequents movie sites or box office blogs. That alone should dismiss any arguments about international appeal. I'm familiar enough with global cinema. I of course haven't seen anything but I'm up to date on international grosses and have basic understanding of foreign films and genres and superstars such as the ones you mentioned.

I just think a big problem here is that most of the members are Marvel, Disney or DC fans which is understandable since these are the biggest moviegoing events currently. And that limited perspective doesn't consider and factor other demographics or genres which aren't being supported due to many factors. So that's why we get broad comments like "Jackass will open under 10m" which truly seems wrong, etc. Yes, the comedy genre has suffered theatrically but there's possibility here due to the fanbase and buzz (89% on Rotten Tomatoes with 7.3 average and 69 Metacritic). Legion's middle school comments regarding Jackass just do not substantially reflect my personal experience or statistical history of the franchise.

Like... you read movie news, you know there's a movie that's a sequel with huge marketing and decent tracking that's been announced/postponed for months, etc.. yet you don't know what it really is? It takes like 5 seconds to look up the history of it. This is the tracking and buzz thread after all which updates daily with such news. I just truly don't understand this logic or lack of logic. 

Right now despite the snowstorm warning, the Thursday/Friday sales here kind of disprove what's being said about the movie (no marketplace, niche etc) which is exciting as a box office follower, no? Doubling the ticket sales of Moonfall so far. I just think it's interesting to keep an objective eye on, is all.

Cinemark Thursday 730-- (24)

Cinemark Friday--245 (2), 530 (4), 7 (2), 815 (25), 945 (4)

AMC Thursday- 7 (69), 740 (17)

AMC Friday- 3 (3), 430 (6), 540 (5), 630 (4), 715 (36), 805 (55)

Fwiw, the fact that it looks like it should be a 5M Dom total movie to me makes the sales seem more impressive, not less. I am definitely following the sales closely and it will probably be one of the top openers this Feb, so that's something. I think the main issue here is condescendingly implying that true box office followers should be familiar with this franchise, which at the end of the day is still small potatoes with a fairly specific audience appeal and has been long dormant.

33 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Like... you read movie news, you know there's a movie that's a sequel with huge marketing and decent tracking that's been announced/postponed for months, etc.. yet you don't know what it really is? It takes like 5 seconds to look up the history of it. This is the tracking and buzz thread after all which updates daily with such news. I just truly don't understand this logic or lack of logic. 

5 SECONDS yes.

This whole thing was started because "SOMEONE tried to do exactly THAT!" and you reacted "WTF" on that. "Do you live under rock!"

Edited by Shanks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1