Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Weird to see Disney release a trailer for this at this point !!!  I would have thought they would directly release it with Guardians and then release it online on Monday or something. After all there is still more than 6 months to go for this. 

marvel usually drop the first teaser 6m b4 nd 2nd one 2m b4 ! + or - 1 or 2 m! or unless some big event release or the movie getting pushed !

In fairness, I think explaining Photon’s powers is more of a hassle than Kamala and even then, the two’s inclusion in the movie is easier for GA who have not see the shows to understand versus Wanda in Multiverse of Madness’ face heel turn and children.

Never saw the first movie but its critical reception wasn’t great given it was a time when critics were falling over themselves to sit on marvel’s dick, and the pluralisation of the IP doesn’t suggest the studio has an abundance of faith in the solo draw of the once titular character. 

BUT WE’LL SEE

Edited by Hatebox

24 minutes ago, Willowra said:

But more people have watched it than the GOTG holiday special.

I don't think I ever checked how that did but that makes sense I guess, it is just a special.

...and gotg clearly isn't too hot right now...:sadfleck:

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

It had the worst viewership of any MCU show by a mile.

Which, once again, is still higher than most shows on broadcast TV. "Lowest MCU show" according to Parrot Analytics or whatever (which it isn't, What If is lowest) is not the same as "bomb".

3 hours ago, YM! said:

In fairness, I think explaining Photon’s powers is more of a hassle than Kamala and even then, the two’s inclusion in the movie is easier for GA who have not see the shows to understand versus Wanda in Multiverse of Madness’ face heel turn and children.

I don't really think it's that much of a hassle since... WandaVision didn't explain them either. They just need to take two seconds to explain "I was on a mission and suddenly I had powers"

9 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I mean for a start there are all the movies whose studios bailed on them or were sold: Dark Phoenix, Strange World, Every DCEU Release from Shazam onwards outside of Flash, Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Artemis Fowl.

Then there are all the prestige releases with inflated budgets: Blade Runner 2049, Amsterdam, Babylon.

Then there are all the risk-takes on huge budgets that were objectively unjustified: Mortal Engines, Monster Trucks, Robin Hood, heck arguably even Dungeons and Dragons.

It's still a ruddy MCU film and even in the most horrific of all horrific outcomes it does a Grindlewald-esque 400m on a 200m budget which while terrible is still better than many of the above. So the hyperbole is a bit silly.

This has some point in it. But the latter half is just unjustified: If obviously has an impact on pop culture because the character was in Endgame and has also been in Shang-Chi since then. And it is, simply, IN the MCU.

Except they didn't though. This is just your bad-faith subjective interpretation.

You've just had it literally pointed out to you that plenty of people watched it. You just want to keep ignoring that fact.

Production troubles I'm not sure about. The current state of the brand is absolutely a fair point, though it's not as bad as some have tried to paint it: BP:WF made par and MOM made above par and those were both last year. Online tantrums was something the first one dealt with, and as much as they do victory laps when films they don't like 'lose' and films they like 'win' there is plenty of evidence now to indicate they have no impact whatsoever on actual bottom lines or behaviour, not least the first Captain Marvel itself. 

I'm still saying par for this is 750m-850m. The online tantrumeers would still do cartwheels at this and pretend that's a big flop, but given the momentum the first had in its release date that wouldn't be the case. That'd just be a solid number but with the current reduced interest in Asia, especially China, factored in.

750-850m would be higher than what GOTG 3 is looking to make. This seems more like wishful thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Which, once again, is still higher than most shows on broadcast TV. "Lowest MCU show" according to Parrot Analytics or whatever (which it isn't, What If is lowest) is not the same as "bomb".

Parrot Analytics are full of shit. They rely on "demand", which includes social media posts, which includes people ranting about shows whether they watch them or not. They had Wheel of Time beating Squid Games a while back. Not that I disagree Ms. Marvel flopped, I've seen basically no-one talking about it on social media, just a general warning about that shit company.

• Like 1