Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

On 8/26/2023 at 7:20 AM, Deep Wang said:

Obviously, I'm not an actor and can't speak to what it's like on these press tours, but I don't know how it's not boring for every single movie.  You're being asked the same questions over and over and over to dozens of journalists.  I don't know what 'kind' of movie would make that experience more enjoyable.

A lot of what an actor does on set dueing the making of a movie or TV series, is also pretty boring, so I suspect it is just more of the same.

30 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

"Why must every blockbuster be over 2 hours long nowadays??"

"oh, the blockbuster I think (and hope) will fail is under 2 hours long? Hah, I knew it was bad!"

The two biggest movie of 2023 are going to be under 2 hours each...

Biggest problem with 2023 has been the overlong crap movies like Flash, Indy, and Fast X.

The runtime thing is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing in that, theaters can probably squeeze in a lot of showings and theoretically plenty of other live actions blockbusters in the past were able to work within 100 minutes. Also tbh I think it’s feasible for an MCU movie to do 100 minutes, as animated family films like Mutant Mayhem and Puss 2 (which is about a degree of separation in terms of tone) juggled multiple characters and had satisfying arcs. 

However, I am not sure Marvel can pull it off, especially with the hit or miss slate that’s happened post-Endgame. All action could work but they need to really nail the action and humor, moreso than past Marvel joints. And I’m not sure Venom cheese would work for the fanbase mainly because of different expectations on what is wanted for the movie.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I am all for shorter films but fact is Marvel doesn’t plan those. Suggests this has been cut to shit. 

Again I ask why the fuck could they not just make Captain Marvel 2? This film for me is going to be peak Marvel arrogance, just thinking they can do whatever they want regardless of the audience.

‘Has a billion dollar franchise ever been thrown to the ground and stamped on so much?

Yeah, short run time doesn’t automatically mean a movie is bad. 

But, considering the run time most MCU movies have had, if this rumor is true, you have to ask why it is such a short run time compared to all the other MCU movies. 

Good or bad, I still don’t see how this movie makes less than $600M WW. 

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Biggest problem with 2023 has been the overlong crap movies like Flash, Indy, and Fast X.

"Correlation is not causation"

Otherwise 3 of the 4 biggest movies of All Time have run time of 3 hours and one have 2 hour 40 minutes.

Biggest problem of 2023 is crap movies, they are overlong because they are crap, not the other way around.

Maybe we should see the movie before making judements based on it's runtime?

What the great producer David O Salznick said still holds; Wend CHannlenged on the three hour and 45 minute running time of "Gone With The Wind" in 1939, he said A movie can be too short at three hours and too long at 90 minutes.

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The problem iwth those movies in not they were long, but that they were not very good.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe we should see the movie before making judements based on it's runtime?

What the great producer David O Salznick said still holds; Wend CHannlenged on the three hour and 45 minute running time of "Gone With The Wind" in 1939, he said A movie can be too short at three hours and too long at 90 minutes.

Stop making sense and being rational . There's no room for that here. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I am all for shorter films but fact is Marvel doesn’t plan those. Suggests this has been cut to shit. 

Again I ask why the fuck could they not just make Captain Marvel 2? This film for me is going to be peak Marvel arrogance, just thinking they can do whatever they want regardless of the audience.

‘Has a billion dollar franchise ever been thrown to the ground and stamped on so much?

Their writers, after Endgame, could no longer write. They caught carpal tunnel syndrome.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

When a marvel movie is short, they generally pointing to a less-satisfying quality. 

Thor 2 (112 min), Antman 3 (124min), thor 4 (118min) , iron man 2 (124min) 

That's cherry-picking. Thor, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, and Ant-Man 2 are all under 2 hours.

18 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Like Morbius? 1 hour 44 min. 

I have said this before, I will say this again, and I will forever say this: Singin in the Rain is an 1 hr and 42 minutes. It’s the most perfect movie.  Ever.

It’s not about length, it’s about character and PACING. If they can get it done in an hour and 30, then good for them.

• Like 8